Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have interesting problem with my EPS system. Several months after purchase of my car, I noticed steering getting too light few times. It would be so light that I can almost turn steering with only one finger. But it always came back to regular grip in a kilometer or two. Something like EPS was on sterioids.

Next incident: around 6 month after purchase of car. I stepped down gear from #3 to #2 downhill to reduce speed and rpm rose to 4000 and then EPS turned on. I talked to Service Center and they told me to drive slowly and bring for checkup. Luckily when I started car 15 minutes later, EPS was off. I took to service center, they plugged in portable PC and said everything is OK. In the next routine servicing, they also drove 25 km to check my occasional feather weight steering. Nothing found. All good to go.

2nd incident EPS: Downhill. Was in gear #2 and rpm was around 3000. EPS flashed. Turned car off for 10 min and it went off.

3rd incident (11 months): I was in speedway and I must have been driving at around 70 kmph. To my surprise, speedometer was at 0. RPM meter was working fine. In 5 minutes, speedometer started working.

4th incident EPS (13 months): This happened at the same place it had happed first time. Had stepped down from #3 to #2 and rmp rose to around 3500. EPS turned on. It didn't go. Took car to service center the next day driving slowly. Speedometer was at 0 too.

At service center, they tried to plug in their PC and it did not communicate. And they said my Electronic Control Unit has failed and need replacement which costs around $500.

To my surprise, Hyundai doesn't provide warranty for electrical system failure. I feel this is not right. It is not something I can damage intentionally. I feel it is manufacturing fault and should be replaced by Hyundai free of cost.

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Do you really live in Kathmandu? If so, I haven't a clue as to what kind of warranty you might get there, and even in the US it's rather up to the dealer sometimes.

If your car still runs in a reasonable manner, I wouldn't go replacing the ecu just yet. It's obviously still working, just not communicating with that particular computer for some reason. Give it a chance, and try to have it scanned someplace else cheaper. Around here, a lot of parts places will scan me for free.

One thing you need to think about it the elevation in a place like Kathmandu and how that might effect the engine. O2 pressure is constantly monitored, and your car probably doesn't like thin air. Running it hard to climb mountains is tough on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think ecu has stopped working unless there is mechanical problem with steering wheel assembly, EPS (Power Assist) didn't work at all. Yes Kathmandu with lots of uphills and downhills. After two EPS flashing, I had started to use brakes instead of gear down to slow at downhill. I got a call from service center today and they said fresh ecu unit has arrived and will be picking up my car tomorrow.

Could it be because I installed Parrot MKi 9000 Bluetooth in my car (9 months ago)? This kit has a base station that sits inside the car behind stereo and i20 stereo has ISO Connectors compatible with Parrot kit and it was seamless connection. As a matter of fact Parrot had stopped working now and then in the last few weeks I blew ecu.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Em-squared.

Got my ECU replaced. It was Parrot Bluetooth that caused all this trouble. There was burn mark in one of the pin connectors of blown ECU. It took us sometime to figure out what was causing it. This bluetooth kit has a control until that sits inside back of the stereo and connects to stereo using all standard ISO connector - in that it doesn't tamper with power cords, or wiring - plain and simple one plug seamless connector. With fresh ECU, power steering came back but speedometer did not. We unplugged Parrot and boom everything started working.

Things started making sense only after finding the culprit. I was on phone when I had first EPS flash. I was on phone when I first noticed speedometer not working. I had one engine fault icon flashing when I was on phone too.

There are many people using this bluetooth kit without any problem in their cars. And this is one fantastic kit. Best I would say. I am going to miss it. Already looking for alternative solution.

The whole deal cost me $500 (ECU) + $180 (Parrot kit)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts