Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
daughters got a i20 3dr coupe 66 plate near side front door wont open from the inside or the out side also found that boot wont open unless you press boot button on key fob while opening the boot if you try for lets say 15 mins or so it finally opens if you then close it its another 15 mins of trying etc new battery's in key fobs etc anyone got any ideas or help Hyundai £308 for a new door mechanism dont want to buy if its not the problem i need to bear with it until i get door open again and take door panel off and have a look not too sure what to look for etc any help would be really great full.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Wolter,

I'm in exactly the same situation.

Nearside front door won't open either on the outside or the inside, and the boot won't open unless I lean into the boot area, through the back seat, and use the key in the slot just above the lock mechanism.
It seems (maybe I'm just imagining it) to work electrically through that slot, so maybe it's 100mm long switch that you use your four fingers on to open

I'm currently (right now) trying the remove the near side front door-card, but it's proving very difficult, and I imagine nothing short of destruction of the panel will give me access.
That's a step I don't want to take yet, because with the seeemingly high number of door lock problems on the i20, there surely must be a work-around to get the door open.

Any gems of experience from knowledgeable persons would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
local garage going to look at it on Tuesday this one is a 2 door coupe when pressing the key fob you can hear it slightly trying to open we have ad it open a couple of times but not in a place were we can drive back home with it open so we have to shut it then it wont open again when it does open it seems all ok how it opens etc you wouldn't no that anything was wrong with it my thinking is that the boot gets the signal from the passenger door to unlock its self (probably i am wrong) we can open the boot by pressing the boot button on the key fob while pressing the buttons on boot and it opens but wont open if you just press the buttons on the boot very strange its like the auto locking is not disengaging.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got the door card panel back a little from the top of the door, a bit distorted but nothing really damaged, and managed to take the cable off the inner door handle.
Pulling it hard with a small vice grips won't open the lock, so there's obviously something broken at the door-lock mechanism where the inner handle and outer handle operate.
If I can source a parts diagram showing the mechanism I might be able to see what I need to hook onto, in order to open the lock.

Why do you think the passenger door has control over the boot lock?

I removed the boot lock, and there's nothing broken, so it must be electical, or the switch that you squeeze with your fingers.

The way of opening it through the slot mechanism is not electrical, as I first suspected, since inserting the key in the slot just over the lock inside the boot, and pulling to the right, is mechanical.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I replaced both lock latches, and everthig is good.
is it possible to get the door card off with the door closed also is the tail gate latches all one peace local garage been hyping up the job daughter got cold feet and didn't take i think ill have a go at it its funny for them to both go at the same time have you got any pictures you can share with the old parts you changed been looking on Ebay etc for second hand ones but i need to get the old ones off and get some part numbers etc i think i have got the part no for the door but not sure what i need etc for the tailgate or what to look for in the tailgate this one is a 3 door coupe 66 plate any help pics would be great full.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You won't get the door card off completely, but with the screws removed from the grab-handle (it's hiding under a little rubber mat in the bottom) and the inside door lock pull handle, then un-hook the cable from the handle, and you will be able to pry the door-card off the top of the door (with the window down) and pull it off the area near the door lock. Not easy but doable.
It's a hard pull because there is an inch of a lip all around that is caught by the closed door.

You will then need a long screwdriver to break off some of the black plastic side off the door lock to be able to work the gear-wheels in the lock to the open position, after which the door will open with the outside handle, and you can then remove the doorcard completely.

The door lock is £175 plus VAT, and the boot lock is £110 plus VAT but they are available on eBay £30 ish each

Fitting the boot lock is easy, but the door lock requires patience and perseverence.

When you remove the three Torx screws in the door jam, you need to un-hook a which plastic clip which holds the lever which connects to the outside door handle, and then watch carefully how you lift out the door lock so you can insert the replacement exactly the same way.

It won't just fit in any old way, as the runner for the door glass is in the way. Tricky but doable.

Tthen hook up to the outside door handle, and the cable to the inside door lock pull. Then reconnect the plugs to the door lock, the window button, and the tweeter speaker, hang the door card over the window ledge first, and hammer down hard with your fist before attempting to push it in in all the way round, and re-insert the screws in the lock pull handle, and the centre grab-handle.

I'll post photos of both old ones tomorrow.

Good luck (y)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Wolter,
Here are a few photos showing both locks.

The first shows door lock with the side broken off, to access the plastic gears, in order to activate it so that it can then be open with the exterior handle.

The second shows both locks side by side. My replacement boot lock secondhand is silver not black, no problem.

I supect that the three door lock is different from the four door car, in that the cable length on the lock 'may' be longer,because of the extra length of the door on the two car.........perhaps not.

The boot door panel is held in place by four philips head screws, out of view in the recesses in the panel. Getting them out is really the only difficult part of that job, since they're difficult to see..

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Bumper
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grey Headgear Automotive exterior
Wood Lock Gas Padlock Font
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive exterior Bumper

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grey Headgear Automotive exterior

Wood Lock Gas Padlock Font

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Wolter,
Here are a few photos showing both locks.

The first shows door lock with the side broken off, to access the plastic gears, in order to activate it so that it can then be open with the exterior handle.

The second shows both locks side by side. My replacement boot lock secondhand is silver not black, no problem.

I supect that the three door lock is different from the four door car, in that the cable length on the lock 'may' be longer,because of the extra length of the door on the two car.........perhaps not.

The boot door panel is held in place by four philips head screws, out of view in the recesses in the panel. Getting them out is really the only difficult part of that job, since they're difficult to see..

View attachment 467039 View attachment 467037 View attachment 467038 View attachment 467039
View attachment 467037
View attachment 467038
thanks for that i think i have the correct part number for door lock but going to wait until i have the door card off first can you see part number etc when door card is off or do you have to take it off to see it.can you break plastic while its still on the door to move the wheel to open the door.one other thing does that boot latch come with the two buttons which you use to open the tail gate from the outside or is it one unit thanks again ill have a go at it next weekend every now and again the door will unlock just need to get it to do it while its at home base.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Get the door lock first, and be ready to start if you can get the door to unlock at home.
That would make the job a real easy one.

If not you have to break the plastic as you see in the photo in order to get the door open.

The boot lock is activated by one approx three inch micro switch where you put your hand to open it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Get the door lock first, and be ready to start if you can get the door to unlock at home.

If not you have to break the plastic as you see in the photo in order to get the door open.

The boot lock is activated by one approx three inch micro switch where you put your hand to open it.
well a real twist to the door lock its opened daughter been round with her mate holding door open so i have took the door card off took the door latch off had a look at it put the electrics back onto it its working fine also the rear tail gate working as norm i have put the latch back into the door and left the door card off i have locked and unlocked it 12+ times it opens perfect ever time door and tail gate cant belive it ill have to have a think about what to do next thanks for the pics and your help.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Doniem - thanks for your comment. Your method of "repair" was the one I was hoping to avoid - (other than cutting in the door from outside with a grinder!!). In the absence of a migic fairy coming along, I'm off scouting round the breakers tomorrow! I'll also call Hyundai for a price, but i have a feeling i wont like their response!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Doniem - thanks for your comment. Your method of "repair" was the one I was hoping to avoid - (other than cutting in the door from outside with a grinder!!). In the absence of a migic fairy coming along, I'm off scouting round the breakers tomorrow! I'll also call Hyundai for a price, but i have a feeling i wont like their response!
While having a think about what to do while one minute it was working and the next minute not working i ordered another door latch in this time while waiting for the door latch it started to work again so i took door card off and the door latch off and put a ratchet strap through door and around the passenger seat when new the one came 2 days later i put it on and its all fine also by putting a new door latch on it solved the problem with the tail gate from opening all good.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Cheers Guys! I've managed to track down a lock / actuator unit on e-bay and almost got the door card off from inside!! Managed to get all the poppers out with only one breakage, so the whole card moves around quite sloppily - but the bit trapped in at the front edge just wont come round the glove box end. So close! If the car wasn't in such good condition, I might be tempted to push my luck and pull harder - but it would be at the risk of the electrical junctions if it came off too hard!

Anyway, with a new lock in the post but not expected to deliver for a week, I'll start trying to remove the old lock with a little damage as possible to the unit .... and I just happen to have a suitable ratchet strap in the shed to hold the door shut if I'm successful! Funny how you occasionally spot these things discarded in lay-bys and pick it up thinking "One day I might need that!!" Found a whole roll of roof insulation once - just as I was insulating my house! Sometimes you need a bit of luck!

Is it the red cog in your photo that is causing all the problem by not rotating far enough? I'm presuming that red cog needs to go round further but I'll find its damaged in some way and will need some forceful help, after which I'll be able to use the manual unlock door lock rod to unlock the mechanism? As I work my way through the black casing to get to the release have you any further tips? I must say I'm really appreciating your help on this!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.