Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've looked at the Hyundai roof bars & bike carrier arrangement but at the best part of £200, I'm wondering if any of you out there have found a good fitting and cheaper alternative ?

Addendum:
Just checked on the Mont Blanc website for their 'standard' rear carrier...
'Hyundai, I20, 5dr Hatch, , 2009 - -'
We do not recommend a rear mounted cycle carrier for your car
Reason: LIFT OFF SOFT BUMPER

What's that all about !

·
Registered
16 Posts
[attachment=18894:rack.jpg] I hope this helps you.....

I have been using on an ad-hoc basis a standard three bike rear mounted carrier (bought from Costco for approx. £30), part of which is supported by the rear bumper, but most of the weight is loaded to two straps which hang from the top of the hatch without any issues. (Sorry not sure of the make) but here’s a picture:

[attachment=18894:rack.jpg]

Longest journey 30 miles, carrying three bikes (2 adults bikes, one child’s)

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info JC. Forgive the ignorance as I have never used this type of carrier before & I haven't yet taken the time to go and have a proper look at Halfords or other... are the lower straps (at least on yours) meant to 'hook' directly to the underside of the bumper ?

·
Registered
16 Posts
There are three pairs of straps. Pair one hang from the top of the hatch, Pair two attach to the sides of the hatch (stops the carrier from rocking) Pair three attach to the bumper (But I attach these to where you would attach a tow rope

Have a look here. Sorry I could only find French instructions

http://www.wilstow.co.uk/Contact_us/About_...ion_sheets.html

and select: (A025PMON) Mottez rear 3 bike carrier

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
QUOTE (John Corrigan (JC) @ Jun 21 2010, 08:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=334835
There are three pairs of straps. Pair one hang from the top of the hatch, Pair two attach to the sides of the hatch (stops the carrier from rocking) Pair three attach to the bumper (But I attach these to where you would attach a tow rope

Have a look here. Sorry I could only find French instructions

http://www.wilstow.co.uk/Contact_us/About_...ion_sheets.html

and select: (A025PMON) Mottez rear 3 bike carrier
JC and BGRT, I had a look at the link, and if you scroll right down past the diagrams there are in fact English instructions too....... you just have to scroll up 'n' down to see the diagrams :thumbsup:

ps. I deleted your other duplicated post too JC.

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you do buy a rack of this design. It is worth wrapping the pedal of the first bike loaded with an old rag to stop any accidental scratching of paint work. (As happened on my previous car)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:liebe011:

Thanks for the info / tips guys. I must say that having read the instructions, I'm a bit more confident that a carrier of this type will do the trick !

1 - 7 of 7 Posts