Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All, I hope someone can shed some light on this, which I cannot believe is coincidental !

Until covid lockdown, had been driving car shown in subject and when coming to a stand, the revs were fine idling around 800-1000 rpm, and if you put out of gear and release clutch, engine stayed on. Since then, I have had to have home start out 3 times for a seemingly dead battery (the mechanic confirmed battery charging; alternator fine, but unable to confirm if retaining charge). The time period between going flat on last occasion was just two days. Checked no electrics on, so reluctantly decided to buy new battery. I was informed by two dealers that I needed a 108 type battery, however, the third dealer where I had the battery replaced, has installed a 075KD which seems to match the specs required (60AH; 560CCA; 12V) - see attached picture. All good, car started straight away, and thought sorted for 3 years !
Only when I came to a traffic light and put car into neutral, then when I took foot off clutch, the revs dropped to about 500 rpm and car stalled. It could be started by depressing the clutch. I thought maybe a one-off. but no, every time the car stops, this "stop/start" behaviour was seemingly now something I had to get used to. I sopke to battery supplier, and they said they do not have stop/start batteries so to bring it back (I will on Tuesday), but in the meantime, I am hoping someone here can explain what is going on ?
Symptoms are as stated, what I noticed is that a green LED to the LEFT of the TACHOMETER with a capital A illuminates briefly when the engine stops. I checked the manual, but cannot find any reference to LEDs either with this capital A, or to the left of the tacho ?
My concern now is that the battery supplied is NOT AGM, and therefore will not be able to last with this stop/start load on it.
I really hope someone in here can shed light on what on earth has happened since I changed the battery. Apologies for first long post, but I felt it was important to include all relevant facts.

Attachments

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,313 Posts
It sounds like maybe your auto stop start system (what Hyundai call ISG) wasn't working originally because you had a bad battery, and now it's doing it's thing because the battery has been replaced. You should go back to the dealer though and have them fit the correct AGM battery.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi All, I hope someone can shed some light on this, which I cannot believe is coincidental !

Until covid lockdown, had been driving car shown in subject and when coming to a stand, the revs were fine idling around 800-1000 rpm, and if you put out of gear and release clutch, engine stayed on. Since then, I have had to have home start out 3 times for a seemingly dead battery (the mechanic confirmed battery charging; alternator fine, but unable to confirm if retaining charge). The time period between going flat on last occasion was just two days. Checked no electrics on, so reluctantly decided to buy new battery. I was informed by two dealers that I needed a 108 type battery, however, the third dealer where I had the battery replaced, has installed a 075KD which seems to match the specs required (60AH; 560CCA; 12V) - see attached picture. All good, car started straight away, and thought sorted for 3 years !
Only when I came to a traffic light and put car into neutral, then when I took foot off clutch, the revs dropped to about 500 rpm and car stalled. It could be started by depressing the clutch. I thought maybe a one-off. but no, every time the car stops, this "stop/start" behaviour was seemingly now something I had to get used to. I sopke to battery supplier, and they said they do not have stop/start batteries so to bring it back (I will on Tuesday), but in the meantime, I am hoping someone here can explain what is going on ?
Symptoms are as stated, what I noticed is that a green LED to the LEFT of the TACHOMETER with a capital A illuminates briefly when the engine stops. I checked the manual, but cannot find any reference to LEDs either with this capital A, or to the left of the tacho ?
My concern now is that the battery supplied is NOT AGM, and therefore will not be able to last with this stop/start load on it.
I really hope someone in here can shed light on what on earth has happened since I changed the battery. Apologies for first long post, but I felt it was important to include all relevant facts.
Hi Autospark, I think you are bang on as did some research on ISG today and was very surprised to find a small section (almost an afterthought) in the manual, but still nothing about the green A (which is successful autostop) and nothing about installing an AGM battery, in fact it states any battery replacement MUST be like for like. I had never thought that a 2014 car could have stop/start but will check tomorrow to see if there is an ISG button. Maybe you can clarify I have 2 options :-
1. Go back to same garage and ask if they are able to fit an AGM battery.
2. Turn off the ISG (on basis I did not even know it had the functionality) and keep the battery they fitted.
I am minded to call a Hyundai dealer on Tuesday to see if they can advise.
thank you for taking the trouble to reply.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,313 Posts
the manual...states any battery replacement MUST be like for like.
Exactly. If the car originally had an AGM battery, that needs to be replaced with an AGM battery.

Switching off the ISG isn't that easy, because it will automatically switch itself back on every time you start the engine. I think the best thing to do is go back to the garage and ask them to fit the correct AGM battery.

If I helped you fix it, why not...

Your support is greatly appreciated

1 - 4 of 4 Posts