Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people,

I have had my beautiful little i10 just over a year now and it must've been around this time that I was 'ship watching' with other members eager to get their vehicles.

I have had no issues with mine until recently a few months back the rear window seals started to brown which suggest to me rust, indeed it was and I took this to Hyundai and they fixed the seals no questions asked.

Next I spot a tiny bit of rust on the boot (the tiniest spot) ask the dealer and they reckon it is stone damage, but it really is tiny so I will keep an eye on it.

To my horror last week I find yet more rusting top left corner of driverside window where the seal meets the door. Now this is getting silly I email him photos and he says the door seal lokks out of place and wants me to bring it in. Now I had a beat up Peugeot for 5years and not once did I spot rust so this is getting silly.

My worry is that others will suffer from this worse and still the anti perforation warraty is super confusing are we suppose to book 'body inspections' seperate to services, I thought a service included this. I have a 12 month service stamp but not one in the perforation book as I wasn't aware there was one until recently. Anyone had the same problem, I cannot find a 'book a body inspection' button on the Hyundai website. :w00t:

·
Registered
122 Posts
That's rather bad news!

Out of interest what colour is your I10 i.e. Solid or Metallic/ laquered?

Reminds be of back in the 70s when cars seemed to rust while you waited.

Apparently it was a lot to do with using cheap russian steel with a high carbon content (or could be a low content - as a metallurgist).

Then again I also remember watching Fords go into the spray booth with surface rust alreaady present!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I must say that I thought rusty bodywork was a thing of the past. I had no rust on the body of the cars I've had over the last twenty years.

Don't they use galvanised steel these days? I think they use it on my i30.

·
Registered
183 Posts
QUOTE (diablo @ Jul 4 2010, 07:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=338800
I must say that I thought rusty bodywork was a thing of the past. I had no rust on the body of the cars I've had over the last twenty years.

Don't they use galvanised steel these days? I think they use it on my i30.
Hyundai website says:
"Every new Hyundai has been protected against corrosion using body preservatives. This treatment, combined with regular inspections under the anti perforation programme, allows us to offer the benefits of a six or 10 year warranty against inside to outside perforation, as set out below. Six or 10 year warranty is dependent on model and model year."

Hyundai doesn't explain what "body preservatives" are but I doubt that cars under 6 years warranty have galvanised body (10 years is questionable too as the industry standard is more like 12).
I have read somewhere that i30 has pressed steel tank and that is going to rust at some stage. I am wondering about i10...

·
Registered
122 Posts
"warranty against inside to outside perforation"

Could there be a getout there if the vehicle starts rusting on the outside first? I.E. Surface rust stating under the paint, not corrosion starting inside a box section and breaking through to the outside (sills etc)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well all I know is that on my i10 I have already forund three areas of rust one on the window seals, that has been sorted, the tiniest dot on the boot and now some rust bubbling up from near the window. I got confirmation today that they are supposed to sign the anti perforation booklet at the time of service so I still have my warranty intact, it will be interesting to see them try and squirm out of this one as it is an area near impossible to damage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
QUOTE (shavenhobo @ Jul 7 2010, 12:25 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=339546
Well all I know is that on my i10 I have already forund three areas of rust one on the window seals, that has been sorted, the tiniest dot on the boot and now some rust bubbling up from near the window. I got confirmation today that they are supposed to sign the anti perforation booklet at the time of service so I still have my warranty intact, it will be interesting to see them try and squirm out of this one as it is an area near impossible to damage.
i too have the same rust spots around the rear window,at the bottom.thought at first i may have scratched it but have now found more bubbling.theres the tiniest dot of reddy brown in the middle ,so again, may suggest chipping.but a year old, surely good quality materials shouldn't react like this ,should they?when driving my lorry round(a lot less carefully over a lot more miles)we got a lot of stone chips, even scratches.none of them developed into rust so quickly. dan
silver comfort
august 09

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (danburgerz @ Oct 6 2010, 05:23 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=361619
i too have the same rust spots around the rear window,at the bottom.thought at first i may have scratched it but have now found more bubbling.theres the tiniest dot of reddy brown in the middle ,so again, may suggest chipping.but a year old, surely good quality materials shouldn't react like this ,should they?when driving my lorry round(a lot less carefully over a lot more miles)we got a lot of stone chips, even scratches.none of them developed into rust so quickly. dan
silver comfort
august 09
Hi I haven't posted in a while but just to keep you updated this will be the second time my car has gone in for rust treatment, which I have not caused in any way. They tried to squirm out of it as well but due to the placing (near window) could not really blame it on stone chips etc. So they are now treating the car as we speak 2-3 days they reckon. Almost makes the warranty worth having even though they were dragging their heels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts