Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Slightly unfortunate for a first post but.....

We own a 2015 i10 Premium (1.0) and so far have covered over 10,000 miles in it. The car has been great for it's intended purpose of running our children about etc

Over the last couple of weeks we have noticed that the car has begun to mist up in the mornings, not your normal mist but more of a mist on steriods, taking 5 mins us with the air con to clear.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago with the heavy rain and the car had been stationary on the drive for around 2 days. I got into the car after a night shift and noticed that there were puddles on top of the front rubber mats. I though this was a bit strange so lifted the mats and to my horror the carpet was absolutly soaked with puddles.of water in both front footwells. I looked in the back and it was exactly the same with the driver's side rear being a little less wet........

The car is booked into Hyundai on Friday, being my first Hyundai this is really not a good start

Attachments

·
Registered
722 Posts
Livefast!

Hi, and a very warm welcome to the forum and very many thanks for taking the time to complete your profile for your first post!

Yes, very unfortunate and something the car definitely shouldn't be suffering from. Clearly there must be a door seal problem somewhere or there is something very wrong with your A/C system!

You're doing absolutely the right thing by getting the car into the dealership, just don't bother trying to dry the car out if you can help it, though it will probably start to smell in the vehicle if you don't mop it up, but they (the dealership) need to see what has happened. Take as many photos as you can. This situation is unacceptable and I hope the dealership can sort it out to your satisfaction.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've run a few Google searches for water leaks involing the i10 and the door seals / membranes tend to come in for a lot of stick, however I can't see how that much water could come in through there. The whole floor carpet is soaked, under the front seats and puddles in the footwells. The puddles on top of the rubber mats would indicate coming in from above as well, eg the sill.

My local dealership have been helpfull so far and will be having the vehicle Friday, I'm not going to touch it so that they can see what it is like. They have stated though that Hyundai will not replace the carpets, there is already mold on the carpets and Mrs Livefast has no immune system permanently due to illness so any mold could have serious consequences for her so I sense a battle ahead.

Can't believe a new car can leak like the Titanic.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
Can't believe a new car can leak like the Titanic.
LOL...I used to be a tech in a VW dealership. VWs sometimes have puddles like that in them when they are delivered to the dealer straight from the factory. When you open the door it's like a tsunami :laugh:

I'm sure Hyundai will replace the carpets if they have mould on them. It's consequential damage of the water ingress so I'm sure the dealer could justify replacing them under the warranty.

·
Registered
722 Posts
With that much water having sat in the foot wells, the carpets will be ruined. You need to absolutely insist with the dealership, that the carpets are removed because they will be sodden underneath and if there is any sound deadening material underneath, that too will be ruined. I had a very similar thing happen in an MX5 I owned years ago after the drain holes for the soft top became blocked and the footwells became flooded with water. Because the car was out of warranty, I had to strip out the carpeting myself and the sound proofing/insulation just fell to pieces and I had to dispose of it. I then had to dry all the metal work because had I not, rust may well have set in.

You may well indeed have a battle, but I suggest given your wife's illness, that you be quite forceful with them. For them to already tell you that Hyundai won't replace the carpets, indicates to me that they're not going to treat this with the seriousness it obviously is. A very strongly worded letter to Hyundai Customer Services may well be needed if they don't sort it out. If your current dealership don't play ball, it might be worth finding another dealership if there is another within reasonable travelling distance and get another opinion.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The last time I saw so much water in one of my cars was when I had left the soft top down on a bright summer day, suddenly the sky went black and we had a torrential storm I got absolutely drenched to the skin rushing back to the car but too late. A miserable end to the holiday right at the start of a week off the car took weeks to dry out with mold and smells wet seats, horrible..........

·
Registered
410 Posts

We own a 2015 i10 Premium (1.0) and so far have covered over 10,000 miles in it. The car has been great for it's intended purpose of running our children about etc

Over the last couple of weeks we have noticed that the car has begun to mist up in the mornings, not your normal mist but more of a mist on steriods, taking 5 mins us with the air con to clear.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago with the heavy rain and the car had been stationary on the drive for around 2 days. I got into the car after a night shift and noticed that there were puddles on top of the front rubber mats. I though this was a bit strange so lifted the mats and to my horror the carpet was absolutly soaked with puddles.of water in both front footwells. I looked in the back and it was exactly the same with the driver's side rear being a little less wet........

The car is booked into Hyundai on Friday, being my first Hyundai this is really not a good start

I'm really sorry to hear this, it's a nightmare scenario for you, I'm baffled though, you say the car had been stationary on the drive for two days.
If it had penetrated during driving in the wet I could understand it, there have been various reports of sealant cracking and water ingress whilst on the move, but stationary?
I can't possibly understand how that much water could get into your car.
My first thought was, have you left a window slightly open, obviously not.?
Door seals are unlikely to suddenly go, as is the hatchback door seals, the only other option is the air intake at the front windscreen, but that's unlikely, a real mystery, be good to hear what the dealers final outcome is, please let us all know.
S.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As it's my wife's car I thought that maybe the children had left a window open etc but when I checked they were all shut, and I figured that if the window was open the seats would have been soaking, when they were bone dry.

The car had been out in the rain in the previous days before being parked up so it is quite possible the water entered then but my wife only does short trips around town on main roads.

What I can't understand is the puddles on top of the rubber mats and water around the plastic sill covers on every door.

We've been rather unlucky with the car, bought it as a present for the Mrs after a serious illness when it was 5 months old , we'd only done 70 miles in it on our first family trip out when somebody smashed into the back of us at a motorway roundabout. The car was repaired at a Hyundai bodyshop and had a new boot, rear panel, bumper etc. The irony is that the repaired area is the only dry one.

·
Registered
13,066 Posts
I'm baffled though, you say the car had been stationary on the drive for two days....I can't possibly understand how that much water could get into your car.
As I said above, I used to see this sort of thing all the time when I worked with VW. The robots that build modern cars (well, VW group cars at least) aren't that great at welding and you often get gaps in the seams between body panels. If the gap happens to land in a spot where rain water gathers it's amazing how quickly you end up with an indoor swimming pool in your car. At least the Koreans are a bit smarter than the Germans and don't put expensive electronic modules under the carpets. Anybody that's owned an old Passat (or the Audi/Skoda equivalent) will probably know what I'm talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
91 Posts
As it's my wife's car I thought that maybe the children had left a window open etc but when I checked they were all shut, and I figured that if the window was open the seats would have been soaking, when they were bone dry.

The car had been out in the rain in the previous days before being parked up so it is quite possible the water entered then but my wife only does short trips around town on main roads.

What I can't understand is the puddles on top of the rubber mats and water around the plastic sill covers on every door.

We've been rather unlucky with the car, bought it as a present for the Mrs after a serious illness when it was 5 months old , we'd only done 70 miles in it on our first family trip out when somebody smashed into the back of us at a motorway roundabout. The car was repaired at a Hyundai bodyshop and had a new boot, rear panel, bumper etc. The irony is that the repaired area is the only dry one.
What was the outcome of this issue?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I've just picked the car up today after 2 weeks in the garage and un an attempt to help any i10 owners who find themselves in my position, here is what the garage found.

The seams from the A piller to the bulkhead were not completed / sealed properly. Apprently Hyundai have issued a TSB on the problem so it is known about.

So the above problem has been sorted and they have replaced the carpets / soundproofing so hopefully that will be an end to the wetness.

Thumbs up to Stacey's in Bridgwater who have been great.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Fantastic result! and a resolution of which I would not have expected anything less.

Great job too that they replaced the carpets and the sound proofing.

I'm assuming that any TSB issued by Hyundai will clearly identify which VIN'S are affected and Hyundai will either issue a recall or they will carry out the appropriate checks at service time, especially for those of use on pre-paid service plans. Though I have to say, we're not suffering from any leak issues and after that absolute torrential downpouring of rain the other week, I've not seen any issues.

·
Registered
1 Posts

In my case all 4 Hyundai i10 foot wells were soaked in water - it turned out that the water was coming in from where the driver-side roof trim met the top of the front windscreen

1 - 14 of 14 Posts