Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys , I am a proud i30 owner and I am now looking to purchase a new i10 for the other half. Just wanting to find out a bit more about the car before I commit at the dealer. We have test drove the dealer demo and I have to admit it is more nippy about the town than I first thought. Just looking to hear a few owner pros/cons and about any known problems with these little cars. Cheers

·
Registered
538 Posts
Not sure where the i10 is built but in Australia the i20 is sourced from India, they are not the same car as the Korean built i30. Have a very close look at panel and interior fit quality, and the general feel of things as you open and close doors. Just my observations when taking a friend out to test drive an i20. She bought the Kia Rio.

·
Registered
538 Posts
To quote Kia salesman, 'They share a lot of driveline and hardware components but are different cars. Although the engines are the same model they are tuned differently and have different transmission final drive ratios to better suit each car.'
I think the Rio is slightly heavier, the engine claims slightly more power output, and it does seem to ride smoother than the i20.

·
Registered
541 Posts
From my own experience…….

Cons:-

Early versions (hopefully fixed now) – took years to fix headlight adjuster problem
Early versions (hopefully fixed now) - numerous clutch and gearbox problems, far too many and varied to list….see previous threads (a very long job!)

Handbrake sticking on – jammed mechanism released and new shoes fitted
Issue with cars stalling – Hyundai Tech. Service Bulletins refer
Poor radio reception. Looked at by Hyundai - No fix available - general problem reported by owners
Poor mpg (32 mpg for me) Looked at by Hyundai - No fix available - general problem reported by owners
My boot cover won’t stay up – going in to be looked at next week
My sunvisors won’t stay in mid position - going in to be looked at again next week
My car is still noisy at 70 mph (runs at 3250rpm @ 70mph)
My automatic version - noise caused by offside drive shaft – Modified by Hyundai via modification by Hyundai India
Issue with cars revving up during gear changes (hanging revs) - Hyundai Tech. Service Bulletins refer
Dashboard lights flickering - Hyundai Tech. Service Bulletins refer
Higher insurance group than some of it’s competitors….but not horrendous (but dearer to insure than my Skoda Yeti)
Servicing isn’t as cheap as you might think for a small car

That’s enough to be going on with……….

Pros :-

The car was cheaper to buy than most of its competitors
For the money it has more toys on it than most of its competitors
My wife likes it
It’s small, so fits in small spaces
It’s easier to get in and out of than many of its competitors
Five year warranty (provided you stick to the rules)
Not ‘cool’ so unlikely to be stolen or carjacked by chavs

I’m sure there are other good things but I can’t think of any just at the moment………
There's a new version due soon so don't buy the current one unless it's as cheap as chips

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the very useful advice oldstan. We have placed an order for a oyster grey i10 style version with the dealer supplied mats, mudflaps , and supagaurd for the paintwork. There does seem an awful lot of minor issues with the i10 but very handy that you have a 5 year warranty. But still some to make me a bit worried. When is the new i10 scheduled to be released anyone any idea's? Cheers

·
Registered
541 Posts
Thanks, Hytech.

I think you'll be seeing the new one towards the end of this year...it's on show at the Franfurt Motor Show in September......New Hyundai i10 2013 review | Auto Express

Mine's Oyster and the previous one was Carbon (almost the same colour). Looks OK and doesn't stand out and attract attention. If you could cancel the Supagard, then I would...and get yourself some Collinite 845 Insulator Wax from Ebay for £16. Do it twice a year and you'll find it's excellent...and as good as the other stuff that they sell you in the showroom by way of a little treat for the salesman..... (along with the GAP insurance and anything else they can sell you).

Do yourself a favour and read some old threads on the i10 forum. Forewarned is forearmed. You might well be fine...but it pays to know as much as the salesman (not difficult) and know your subject in the event that someone tries to pull the wool over your eyes or tell you stuff that isn't strictly accurate.

Check the other current thread about oil. Despite what Easyrider says, check the small print and learn from it. On the other hand there have been loads of useful bods on here, including Hyundai trained techie fellas who did actually know their stuff. Some of the posters had proper grief....it looks like most have gone now and we don't see the useful posts that we once did. They've either sorted all the problems out or sold their cars and bought something else.
Draw your own conclusions - but don't get caught out and stand your ground if it comes to a fight with Head Office (who are in fact RAC staff sub contracted to run Hyundai's after sales outfit from that big glass RAC palace on the M6 at Bescot near Walsall).
Check out any servicing deals that MIGHT save you money, as Hyundai servicing can be pricey, even on this little car, and, as I’m sure you know, especially the bigger services. Check the car over when you collect...check the mileage and check INSIDE and OUT...don't sign for it until you have.

Good luck mate and enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Just traded mine into day after 1.5 yrs - owned a facelift 2011. It has been problem free but to be honest the following factors pushed me to sell in the end and you need to judge if these would affect your decision:

1. MPG not as advertised, no where near.
2. Clutch/gear change is hard work - easy to wear out.
3. Looks-wise it is dull and looks poor on the road
4. In high winds you feel like a cardboard box about to be blown off the road.
5. Road noise is awful - no insulation -- tiring drive-- The worst point IMO. Harsh ride over bumps.
6. No room in boot - 2 shopping bags about it.
7. Insurance is more expensive (in my case £130 more than my newer, bigger engined car and my previous car before the i10) not sure why?
8. Interior feels cheap and tacky, looks good at 1st glance but will wear on you in the end.

I hate to sound negative and a lot of people would probably say you get what you pay for which is true..... but these are the points that got to me in the end and forced me to sell on.

Good points:

Cheap tax

:)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Just traded mine into day after 1.5 yrs - owned a facelift 2011. It has been problem free but to be honest the following factors pushed me to sell in the end and you need to judge if these would affect your decision:

1. MPG not as advertised, no where near.
2. Clutch/gear change is hard work - easy to wear out.
3. Looks-wise it is dull and looks poor on the road
4. In high winds you feel like a cardboard box about to be blown off the road.
5. Road noise is awful - no insulation -- tiring drive-- The worst point IMO. Harsh ride over bumps.
6. No room in boot - 2 shopping bags about it.
7. Insurance is more expensive (in my case £130 more than my newer, bigger engined car and my previous car before the i10) not sure why?
8. Interior feels cheap and tacky, looks good at 1st glance but will wear on you in the end.

I hate to sound negative and a lot of people would probably say you get what you pay for which is true..... but these are the points that got to me in the end and forced me to sell on.

Good points:

Cheap tax

:)

Agree with the above, except that mine's auto. so no issue re. clutch and gearbox. But did have noise at 3500rpm which only affected some automatics. And as it's auto. my tax is £100 PA...so not especially cheap. But, yes, you're right, it was cheaper than the opposition so you pays yer money.

What have you swapped it for?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've switched to a new Fiesta OldStan, had the old shape of one of those before my i10 and have to admit I missed the interior finish and just the general enjoyable drive of it.. also appreciate having a boot now :) More expensive but they do hold their value well.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I've switched to a new Fiesta OldStan, had the old shape of one of those before my i10 and have to admit I missed the interior finish and just the general enjoyable drive of it.. also appreciate having a boot now :) More expensive but they do hold their value well.
Thanks for that. Out of interest I'd be keen to know which Fiesta you bought ......ie. the new one litre EcoBoost or one of the other alternatives maybe?

There were lots of alternatives available to you I wonder how you decided which one to go for..........and I know I'm asking lots of questions but would be interested to know whether you went down the broker route (drivethedeal / carfile / broker4cars etc) or got sorted at your local main dealer?

Good wishes with the new car, I'm sure no-one would mind you coming back and advising of your experiences with the new car.

And - as the thread was 'Pros and Cons,' I'll just add a further 'Con' to my list........

The Indicators don't flash when I lock the car as of today. (They work when unlocking it).

Also the alarm has stopped working.

Rgds.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Check the engine bonnet is shut properly Stan, the alarm won't arm if it's not and you will also not get the armed flash from the indicator.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Check the engine bonnet is shut properly Stan, the alarm won't arm if it's not and you will also not get the armed flash from the indicator.

You are SO insightful, SL...absolutely SPOT ON!

It went it yesterday to have them check the sunvisors, boot hatch cover, the radio reception (won't stay on main stations and reverts to, more powerful, local ones) AND the indicators/alarm as per your mention.

During an ever so slightly embarrassing (on my behalf) moment at the dealers yesterday I walked out to their car park with the receptionist to check around the car prior to leaving it with them....and spotted it ..... bonnet partly open........I immediately twigged that it could be responsible for the indicator/alarm issue and pointed it out to her and closed it....and hey ho, the front indicators worked. I then quickly checked the alarm but couldn't get it to trigger (again, my fault for not replicating the required 'alarm trigger', circumstances) and agreed they would check it.

As it happens the alarm WAS working....however...strangely the receptionist said, when I collected the car, that there was NO alarm fitted to the car....(I did ring back later to advise that there IS one and it is working OK).

The radio reception was diagnosed as corrosion on the radio aerial base and a new one is on order and will be fitted later this month. I guess they fitted different sunvisor (or somehow tweaked the old one) and it's better. The hinged boot cover has a mind of its own and sometimes stays up and sometimes doesn't...but not the end of the world.

Disregarding the minor problem insofar as they didn't find the alarm, the dealer's service department was good, as they have been with me in the past.

(I think quite a few people don't know there's an alarm fitted).

What news yourself, SL?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts