Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, i have a Hyundai i10 2011 G4LA 1.2 petrol 75k miles and it recently flagged up an error code "P0011 A camshaft position timing over-advanced or system performance Bank 1". I cleared it and it came back.

The last couple of years it's never played up until now and since the engine check light first showed up a couple of weeks ago it's had trouble starting twice but eventually did start. My mechanic advised to first service it and I also installed new plugs but after a week and around one hundred miles including a motorway trip it played up the second time.

I've only found one similar post which had two error codes and what i wondered is, can anyone tell me what cam sensor this code by itself relates to as there are two cam sensors? I'm happy to change them both but would prefer to target the right one. or is it something else? Any advice is welcome. Thank you.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Hi, i have a Hyundai i10 2011 G4LA 1.2 petrol 75k miles and it recently flagged up an error code "P0011 A camshaft position timing over-advanced or system performance Bank 1". I cleared it and it came back.

The last couple of years it's never played up until now and since the engine check light first showed up a couple of weeks ago it's had trouble starting twice but eventually did start. My mechanic advised to first service it and I also installed new plugs but after a week and around one hundred miles including a motorway trip it played up the second time.

I've only found one similar post which had two error codes and what i wondered is, can anyone tell me what cam sensor this code by itself relates to as there are two cam sensors? I'm happy to change them both but would prefer to target the right one. or is it something else? Any advice is welcome. Thank you.
Do you have the oil changed on a regular basis?

Best practices for requesting help:If you haven't done so fill in your vehicle info and profile page. At upper right corner under the search box click on user cp (it's your control panel)
This info will show up to the left under your user name and is very helpful.

• Be sure you are in the correct forum for your vehicle.
  • Do a search for your problem. A lot of stuff has been asked and answered.
  • Do not double post for the same problem.
  • Give the model year....Engine size...transmission type (auto or standard)
  • Take a single issue at a time. Posting multiple issues at once will get convoluted very quickly
  • VIN number can be very helpful
  • Vehicle history can be good. How many miles. If not bought new, how many have you put on it.
  • Describe the problem best you can. If a noise can you get a sound or video file
  • Tell us what has been done, if anything, thus far. If tests have been performed give actual results not OK or passed. If scanned for codes the actual code(s) not O2 sensor or MAF, Etc.
  • If the vehicle has been to a repair facility it would be nice if you could post a picture of that invoice/bill
  • If your vehicle is under warranty you should have the dealer check it out. If it's a problem they see many times they will generate a safety recall of TSB. This is how they know of the problem.

This information can save a lot of time and get you the answers you need much faster.

Thanks,
Welcome aboard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi, when i got the car the oil wasn't great as if it hadn't been serviced regularly. It's been serviced twice in the two years I've had it, most recently last week. I was told last week that it could do with new plugs as the iridiums last around 70-80k miles, not sure how accurate that is but installed new denso plugs anyway as well as new filters and oil.

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
Hi, when i got the car the oil wasn't great as if it hadn't been serviced regularly. It's been serviced twice in the two years I've had it, most recently last week. I was told last week that it could do with new plugs as the iridiums last around 70-80k miles, not sure how accurate that is but installed new denso plugs anyway as well as new filters and oil.
The problem is the cam phasers will get gunked up if the oil is not regularly changed and when that happens they will not change phase like they should. The PCM commands a certain advance or retard and it looks to see if it's responding correctly and if the oil passages are partially gunked up they will not change correctly and the PCM will flag the code.
Here's the US 2011 Elantra 1.8L gas. Yours, although not the same, will be similar as for how it works.

The CVVT (Continuously Variable Valve Timing) system is installed to the chain sprocket of the camshafts. This system controls the camshaft to provide optimal valve timing. The PCM controls the Oil Control Valve (OCV), based on the signals output from air flow, throttle position and engine coolant temperature. The CVVT controller regulates the camshaft angle using oil pressure through the OCV. As result, the relative position between the camshaft and the crankshaft becomes optimal, and the engine torque improves, fuel economy improves, exhaust emissions decrease under overall driving conditions.

DTC Description

The deviation of the camshaft position from the target point is evaluated during stable driving condition. The PCM accumulates this deviation for a certain period and sets DTC P0011 when the accumulated deviation is too high. The target camshaft position is predetermined value depending on engine speed and throttle angle in the PCM.

Attachments

Reactions: Longshot

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi GRCAuto and thanks for the advice. From what you've said I'm now wondering what action I can take to make my car more reliable or whether this issue can't be fixed economically so it's better to sell the car? What would your advice be for the best course of action?

I had considered changing the OCV (Part No. 2435504000) but I'm not sure if that'll help this issue. I took it out yesterday and thoroughly cleaned it in case it had any gunk inside it (I saw that advice in a google search) but happy to change it if it'll help.

·
Registered
650 Posts
If cleaning it has not worked then replacing it should solve the problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi, I removed and cleaned the OCV yesterday and cleared the DTC code. Drove it twice today and the P0011 code came back on the second (short) run. My concern is that if the cam phasers are now beyond repair as GRCAuto eluded to, changing the OCV may not rectify the fault and I can't see cam phasers listed as an easily replaceable part.

I'd prefer not to throw good money after bad if this issue is bigger than assumed but if there's a chance that it could help I will. From what everyone has said, I get the impression that this definitely isn't the crank or cam sensors at fault. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get a price on the OCV replacement part either way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi, I went to the dealers today so thought I'd share the prices and part codes in case it helps anyone in future.

1. Flat fee for diagnosis: £90
They'll quote for the repair if they can pin point what's wrong.

2. Oil Control Valve OCV (24355-04000): £241.66
3. Cam Speed sensor (39350-3F000): £97.87
4. Camshaft position sensor (39350-2B030): £94.87
5. Crankshaft position sensor (39180-03000): £39.31

·
Registered
6,903 Posts
If the cam phasers need replacing the labor will be high. If you can do the work you can save a lot of money.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Hi, I went to the dealers today so thought I'd share the prices and part codes in case it helps anyone in future.

1. Flat fee for diagnosis: £90
They'll quote for the repair if they can pin point what's wrong.

2. Oil Control Valve OCV (24355-04000): £241.66
3. Cam Speed sensor (39350-3F000): £97.87
4. Camshaft position sensor (39350-2B030): £94.87
5. Crankshaft position sensor (39180-03000): £39.31

Ouch.
I wonder if their diagnostic test would tell you anymore than you already know?
Intermittent faults are a real nightmare.
You can waste a lot of money chasing the fault around.
Clear the codes and PX for another car is an option.
Thanks for this information though I'm sure it will be useful, all the recent engines seem to have this variable valve technology, which is more to go wrong as the miles tick up.

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
14,720 Posts
all the recent engines seem to have this variable valve technology, which is more to go wrong as the miles tick up.
All recent petrol engines seem to have variable valve technology, which is a good reason to drive a diesel engined car :smile:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Hi. I took the car into a trusted mechanic for some impartial and free advice as he wouldn't be doing the work either way (really nice bloke). He plugged in his expensive Snap-On diagnostic tool and since the OCV clean, the car is now showing both P0011 and P0014 for the first time. He checked the car over and saw that it runs absolutely fine once started without any lumpy running or miss-firing. Fyi, it doesn't struggle to start and has still only not started twice. He checked Autodata which recommended that for the faults I'm seeing it would be worth changing the OCV first.

So now that I wanna try a new OCV, eBay has some listed that reckon they're new and genuine parts (part no. 24355-04000 around £60-£100) but they're all abroad and between 4-6 weeks lead time to get here from Korea. Halfords, Euro Car Parts, GSF and other parts suppliers don't list it and the dealers are £240. Does anyone now anywhere I could get a new one from in the UK? I'd prefer new over a used one.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Wow.
That is a massive price difference.
As your engine is running OK at the present time it might be worth taking a chance on the £60 option, it might be worth the wait.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi, I want to try and fix the fault as it'll help even if I sell the car on. I bought an OCV (Part No. 24355-04000) on Thursday 21st Feb and went for one that's listed on eBay as a genuine part and from Korea. The seller has thousands of great feedback for similar items and it cost £56 ($70). The postage time is around 4-6 weeks, as discussed previously, even though some feedback said buyers had received parts from them in 11 days. I asked the seller if there were any faster options and he said there is a guaranteed two week option from EMS (www.ems.post) for an extra £17 ($23) and he'll get back to me with the details. I'm not sure why they don't offer that on their listings so have suggested that they do as it would help with buying decisions. They've ordered in the part from their suppliers and it takes up to 3 working days for them to get it so we have a bit of time to work out the faster postage. I'll let you know what happens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I received the new OCV from Korea on 14th March. I confirmed that it was the same part number as mine and fitted it a few days ago. I cleared the engine check light and it came back the following day after a bit of local driving. The error code that's flagged up is the same as before "P0011 A camshaft position timing over-advanced or system performance Bank 1".

Now that the OCV is likely not to be at fault, I'm now wondering if it's worth changing the cam position sensors and which one is most likely to cause this particular error.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I had to figure out which was which of the two cam sensors. The Haynes manual was no help. I've found that a number of things in the Haynes manual are a bit vague, seems like they don't make them like they used to!

Anyway, I found that the cam speed sensor (39350-3F000) is mounted on the right hand side and on the top of the cam cover (nearside of the car). It has a 90 degree mounting lobe. It's £97.87 from the dealers, £44 from a motor factor and potentially cheaper on eBay.

The cam position sensor (39350-2B030) is mounted on the right hand side of the head (nearside of the car) and on the side of the head. It has a 30 degree mounting lobe. This is £94.87 from the dealers, £47 from a motor factor and potentially cheaper on eBay.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Well done hyundai-uk.
All this information is going to be of huge help to many of us down the line..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi, I'm happy to share as I'm going through the process anyway so I might as well. I prefer threads that get to a resolution one way or other so I'll try and do my bit. It would be nice if it helps someone in the future but I'm hoping it helps me in the now!

I'm an optimistic person and I'm happy to try the obvious things as it hasn't cost me loads of cash yet. I see it as a bit of a puzzle and a challenge but I will have to give up at some point if I don't get to a positive outcome soon. Wish me luck!!

1 - 20 of 67 Posts