Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got our i10 in Feb 2010 just over 3300 miles. For the last 3 weeks it has started over revving when ticking over eg in a queue of traffic. (it can get up to 3500) The car is in neutral with handbrake on, feet no way near peddles. It has only happened on longer journeys ie once the engine is warmed up, its not every time. The only way of stopping it is to turn engine off and start again. This can some times need to be done a number of times before the problem go's. In total its happened about 12 times. I have got it booked in with dealer for them to look at. But as the fault is intermittent I am not holding out hope of them sorting it. A neighbour has a intermittent fault on his i10 and is getting no where.

Anyone got the same problem ?

Anyone want to have a go at saying what the problem is ?

·
Registered
284 Posts
QUOTE (yorkie77 @ Jun 28 2010, 02:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336719
We got our i10 in Feb 2010 just over 3300 miles. For the last 3 weeks it has started over revving when ticking over eg in a queue of traffic. (it can get up to 3500) The car is in neutral with handbrake on, feet no way near peddles. It has only happened on longer journeys ie once the engine is warmed up, its not every time. The only way of stopping it is to turn engine off and start again. This can some times need to be done a number of times before the problem go's. In total its happened about 12 times. I have got it booked in with dealer for them to look at. But as the fault is intermittent I am not holding out hope of them sorting it. A neighbour has a intermittent fault on his i10 and is getting no where.

Hi Yorkie77
I am just glad our auto i10 has not got the fault because I am not sure if the wife would have the state of mind to knock it into neutral when sitting at a junction before the car took off unexpectedly.

You will have to see if the garage have a tool that will log the cars sensors while being driven. I bought a device a while ago for tracing an intermittent fault on my sons car. Its called a Crecorder and costs -well it did around £45 just over 18 months ago. See http://www.crecorder.com/website/index.do?method=welcome

You basically plug it into your OBD11 / EOBD data socket on the car then drive the car as normal. The unit then records the available parameters such as road speed, engine speed, water temp, throttle position, fault codes etc. I think there a few designs now from different manufacturers now, so shop around if you want to investigate the fault yourself.

In your case, it would show clearly the zero mph, 3500 rpm on the engine, what ever the throttle position, inlet air temp, map was etc. To access the stored data, the unit is simply unplugged from the car, connected by USB to your pc / laptop and the data downloaded. You can either see the data as digits or any four selectable parameters in a multi trace graph form.
We have had it connected for a couple of weeks and not had a problem with the units capacity although I seem to recall it originally said it only recorded for 24hrs before it over wrote. As I say ours will record and retain a couple of week’s worth. Anyway once the fault happens you either remove the unit for analysis or continue and see if it happens again. It may highlight an intermittent sensor fault

Best of luck with the garage and getting the problem sorted. Let us know how you get on ?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for that. I will see what they say when I take the car in. Hopefully they will get it sorted out will let you know what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
We got ours in November 09, and the revving happens when 'cold' too.... eg - reversing off the drive etc. When at the first service we mentioned it Hyundai didn't quite understand what we were talking about and said that idle it was fine! If you get a solution please let us know.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Steve-W. There could well be a software/firmware problem here. The PCM (Power train Control Module) has a shedload of extra inputs/outputs when an Automatic box is fitted. You are not the first to report problems with i10s and automatic boxes on this forum.

http://service.hyundai-motor.com/

·
Registered
16 Posts
QUOTE (yorkie77 @ Jun 28 2010, 05:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=336719

Hi there!

It seems that this problem is slowly rearing up its head!

http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t48760-hyund...on-problems.htm

Had the same problems,i.e car revving up to 3000 - 4000rpm by itself when reversing. Was taken by the dealer and after 3 weeks it was returned working perfectly, even though they persisted at not having found any problem.
I did not press the issue though as they did all the repairs of my mishap at no cost to me, so .....

You should keep on pressuring your dealer that the problem does exist, as it is mentioned a few times here.

Good luck to you! :thumbsup:

SH

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've just had this problem on a manual 1.2. Car has only done under 300 miles!

Just driven it about 20 miles, and when pulled up at a set of temporary traffic lights the engine went crazy and started revving. I was in neutral and had no feet on the pedals. I turned the engine off and cranked it back up then it immediately did the same!
Thankfully a second time it levelled off at around 1,000rpm and settled. I did notice the cooling fan kicking in shortly afterwards but temp was midway around 90 degrees.

Seemed to drive home fine although planning a long journey tomorrow so a bit concerned.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oh Dear! This seems to be a common problem. My i10 Comfort that I bought in January this year has 4000 miles on the clock and has started doing this, as it's the first time I've been sat in a slow moving queue. I thought I had cruise control, trundleing along at 5mph without feet on any peddles and keeping up with the car infront.

This only happens when the car is warm and is usually solved by hooking my foot under the accelerator peddle and lifting it up. It doesn't feel like it's moving but I do this everytime it overrevs and it cures it everytime. It's a bit of a pain though.

Oh well! Back to the dealer it must go.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts