Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son bought an i10 as his 1st car (2015 plate) , and is very pleased with it so for.

Suddenly the gear stick has become stiffer and doesn't spring back to centre. (ie if you push it to one side, it stays there and doesn't spring back like before) Also going into 3rd, you have to be careful to get it to glide in. (It seemed to naturally side in before). Any ideas? Hoping the gearbox hasn't gone. Its done 56,000 miles and had all the services.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My son bought an i10 as his 1st car (2015 plate) , and is very pleased with it so for.

Suddenly the gear stick has become stiffer and doesn't spring back to centre. (ie if you push it to one side, it stays there and doesn't spring back like before) Also going into 3rd, you have to be careful to get it to glide in. (It seemed to naturally side in before). Any ideas? Hoping the gearbox hasn't gone. Its done 56,000 miles and had all the services.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.
Hi,
Did you ever get a solution to this issue. Mine has just started doing the exact same thing this afternoon.
It too is a mk2 2015 plate with 26k on the clock and purchased in May.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,
Did you ever get a solution to this issue. Mine has just started doing the exact same thing this afternoon.
It too is a mk2 2015 plate with 26k on the clock and purchased in May.
Thanks in advance
Hi. unfortunately not. It kind of slowly got better. Its still not quite right and feels a little heavier. Not sure if its the hot weather thats made a difference. We might get it looked at when it has its up coming MOT.

Apart from that, its a very nice little car.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The hot weather makes a little sense as it's been a roasting hot day here today.
Kinda hoping it will just naturally go away, we have 2 of them in the family and I agree they are great little cars.
Thanks for the fast response.
Mick

·
Registered
9 Posts
Assuming the gearbox is the same as the 2009 - 20013 model, there are some pivots on top of the box where the gearchange cables are attached. It may help to lubricate these.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Our old Toyota Hilux had similar issues with its gear stick. It turned out to be a rubber bushing (on which the lever rod rests) that had disintegrated over time, causing the gear stick to rest a few milimeters lower than intended and thus no longer being able to precisely pass on gear change actions.

A quick image search for "gear lever parts i10" returned Hyundai parts diagrams which indicate that the lever rod also rests on a partly hemispheric bushing.

And for those willing to try themselves: there is an indian youtube video showing the replacement of the entire gear lever assembly on a similar equipped Hyundai Xcent with similar issues. At 2:16 the excessive play of the lever rod is shown (with some english subtitles):
Video

1 - 6 of 6 Posts