Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. After some advice regarding my daughters 2014 mk2 1.0 i10. It has a very poor tick over and sounds like it’s going to stall all of the time even when cold. I took it to a garage to get checked out and they replaced the injectors, the spark plugs and a lamda sensor then pretty much gave up and said I need a new engine. Sadly the car was sold as seen when I bought it and I put the poor tick over down to it being stood for a year. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
Hyandia I10 2014 1.0 Petrol
18 Posts
maybe these youtube vids (this one needs translator) might help or point in the right direction. You dont say how many miles the car has done and what condition its in. Has the air filter been changed. Did you get to see the colour of the plugs that came out - as this can give clues. Was it a dealer that did the work or a backstreet garage ?

You seem the have gone in at the heavy end of the diagnosis or maybe the garage saw an opportunity to relieve you of some cash ...

Tickover for this should be 700 to 800 rpm is yours lower ? Do you have lack of power or misfire when accelerating ?

lots of questions before you can start finding solutions...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
maybe these youtube vids (this one needs translator) might help or point in the right direction. You dont say how many miles the car has done and what condition its in. Has the air filter been changed. Did you get to see the colour of the plugs that came out - as this can give clues. Was it a dealer that did the work or a backstreet garage ?

You seem the have gone in at the heavy end of the diagnosis or maybe the garage saw an opportunity to relieve you of some cash ...

Tickover for this should be 700 to 800 rpm is yours lower ? Do you have lack of power or misfire when accelerating ?

lots of questions before you can start finding solutions...
Hi thanks for the reply, the answers to your questions are below
40,000 and it has a full service history but last 3 where back street garages. Apart from the idle issue it’s in good condition.
air filter is new and the new plugs where fitted before i bought the car.
yes my tick over is lower and eventually It stalls as it’s so low
when accelerating it’s fine and it feels like it has the right amount of power once it gets going and it never misfires.
watched the videos but that’s the mk1 engine. Mine is the mk2 so not sure if its applicable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So at 40k its not going to be engine valve problems and no lack of power would seem to discount vacuum leaks. So looking round the only suspect (as you paid to have the other candidates already replaced) seems to be the carbon build up on the throttle intake (which seems to be a much wider problem than just the I10) In this video when he takes off the top air box you can see the throttle valve on the lower right side. So access looks quite reasonable. If you don't want to have a go yourself you could take it to a garage to get it done giving them the instruction to clean out carbon deposits from the throttle assembly. Should only take a proper mechanic less than an hour and I can of throttle/brake cleaner .

I cant seem to find a vid with mk2 being stripped down. So maybe your chance to become an internet sensation and post one of the job getting done. Good luck with whatever route you follow....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I took a look at this after work and the intake is already very clean. See image. Sadly I started the car without the sensor plugged in so I now also have a yellow engine warning light.
Anything else I can check?
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Rim

·
Registered
18 Posts
Did you gently open the throttle to check the other side of the shutter ? It does look nice and clean which is now meaning that if this is not the issue then a vacuum leak might be the cause, which means inspecting the hoses for abrasions/perishing (as the hole is going to be really small to only affect idle). Do you have and OBD2 reader as might be worth plugging into the port (its in the fuse box bit by the drivers right knee position) as it may yield a code that gives a clue.

However your fast running out of options and it may the case of taking it to a dealer for full diagnostics which will set you back a pretty penny. These cars unfortunately are not too home mechanic friendly, as even getting the technical data for working with the car is really difficult. There is quite a bit of vendor lock in to make sure you have to go to authorised outlets to get things done.

well done for stripping it down though. It may be you have eliminated one variable, but as with most things its only one step on the road to resolution.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You mentioning vacuum rang a bell. The garage sealed the inlet manifold as they thought that was the problem and the vacuum in the manifold is too high. See below for the diagnosis the garage game me and the readings of a good car written in pen

·
Registered
18 Posts
ok so seams you do have some clues to follow... So your either looking for a vacuum leak, take a look at this vid for checking process ( at around 3:45), like the trick with the can of cleaner.... the other possiblity is a defective MAP sensor. Not sure where it lives but eurocar parts do sell for mk2 so it must be hiding somewhere. Maybe the garage had already discounted this, does any of the paperwork suggest it was checked ?

checking online ...
Symptoms of a Faulty Manifold Pressure Sensor
  1. A rich or lean fuel mixture. ...
  2. Excessive fuel consumption.
  3. A rough idle.
  4. Hesitation or slight jerking during acceleration, or when putting the vehicle into drive.
  5. The vehicle stalls or dies immediately after you try to give the engine gas to start the car moving.
so maybe the culprit but expensive to find out. (cheaper than garage though). I would do the free stuff first then decide on shelling out or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
18 Posts
Congrats on the fix. Its nice to know what finally did the trick, since there may be others out there that have the similar issue. What pointed you in that direction, since not one I have seen on any of the check lists ?

Incidentally there seems to be a whole thread in the mk1 section about this. Seems some peeps have even managed to strip them down and clean the pistons.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts