Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please - I have a brand new i10 - about 2 months old and have just noticed having washed the car and then in rain, that water is penetrating behind the door cards on all four doors (its worse on two of them) as it can be seen at the foot of the black plastic door cards, weeping out. I'm taking it back to the dealer this Wednesday 18th and don't want to get fobbed off. I've seen another forum where someone else has raised this. This shouldn't happen, the water should drain out of the drain holes in the doors, not penetrate through to the back of the door cards where the door electrics, speakers etc are. Hate to think what damage has already occurred.

Grateful for some help in how I should approach this with the dealer - thanks.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Probably the drain holes in the bottom of the doors blocked, good luck if your taking it to Basildon Hyundai

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the note 88B, but the holes aren't blocked from what I can see (and the car is 2 months old!). It won't be Basildon - they gave awful service when I wanted to buy a car, let alone take one back for warranty work. I'll try and get this done and then get rid in the new year - I think I have a Friday afternoon car. Its going back to Chelmsford - Broomfield. Mind you when I spek with Service Manager in Chelmsford yesterday, he wasn't particularly customer friendly and couldn't believe it when I said car had this problem!

Have you had some poor experience with Basildon?

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
The door panel can be easily removed by taking off a few screws at the inside door grip/handle, near the door edge etc. then pry off with a plastic tool at bottom edge.

Then you can see for yourself at once & dont have to visit the dealer even though it should be a warranty repair.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks for the note 88B, but the holes aren't blocked from what I can see (and the car is 2 months old!). It won't be Basildon - they gave awful service when I wanted to buy a car, let alone take one back for warranty work. I'll try and get this done and then get rid in the new year - I think I have a Friday afternoon car. Its going back to Chelmsford - Broomfield. Mind you when I spek with Service Manager in Chelmsford yesterday, he wasn't particularly customer friendly and couldn't believe it when I said car had this problem!

Have you had some poor experience with Basildon?
Only sales and exactly the same from Southend and Broomfield but they are all the same company. We ended up going to Haddocks at Colchester for the IX20, I got my I10 from Longmans in Basildon and use them for warranty work. I have been very pleased with everything they have done for us. I just wish they still sold new cars but they can still do servicing and warranty and they usually fit you in quickly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks - I may give them a call. Chelmsford reckon this is normal and is evidenced by slot at bottom of door card where it joins the metal. They checked another car on the forecourt with me there and it exhibited same issue. They also checked another customer's car in for service and this was same - so either a feature or design fault no one else has picked up. Not convinced and am emailing with Hyundai UK for tech confirmation.

Also now they took a door panel off yesterday it doesn't seem to have been put back on properly - slight gap down one edge - feels like somethign not engaged properly - probably one of the retaining clips. Its also showing more water than previously - so taking it back on Sat. Service Manager sounded miffed.

Just out of curiosity, does your i10 have this 'feature.'?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well - Hyundai UK have come back to me and confirmed this is an acceptable feature of the car and not a problem. Will be covered by full warranty if anything does go awry, so sounds like I have to accept this - its not a fault according to Hyundai. Electrical items in the door will be protected and won't be impacted. Still need the dealer to re-attach the door panel properly though.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Not a problem!!!!!!!! Not for your dealer or Hyundai UK it isn't, it is for you though,never had this problem with either of my i10's and don't believe this is normal.I suggest you try and get a better response from another dealer. I would be shouting long & loud at my service manager,preferably when the dealership is full of potential customers.
Yet another example of poor customer service from a Hyundai dealer,this simply isn't good enough.
Okay,rant over.

·
Registered
124 Posts
So this water is going into the car because the door card is inside the door seal, I can't see how that is acceptable, for a star the carpets are going to start getting wet. My I10 is an 09 model and it doesn't do that.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Well - Hyundai UK have come back to me and confirmed this is an acceptable feature of the car and not a problem.
Can you post any pictures up of the area in question. It would highlight the problem in more detail.

I've never had this issue on any of my i10s, however, my door sills are always soaked with water and dirt during a drive in wet weather - which points to that area flushing away excess water.

A picture would really help and allow me to look through the service manual to understand 'where and how' the water is coming from; and if it is indeed normal.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I've had several i10s, family and friends have i10s and not one has had a leaking door.

I wasn't familiar with "door card" but it seems to be the interior door trim and I can't see how leaking water would possibly be conidered acceptable. Not even the British Leyland cars I had did that.

But I can't understand how they are leaking anyway, as i10 doors are just normal doors with a sheet of polythene well gunged on to stop the water coming inside or getting to the electrics and they have more than adequate drain holes too.

·
Registered
245 Posts
But I can't understand how they are leaking anyway
Same here. From memory, there is an inch or so of inner doorskin which the card clips onto, suggesting there is more than an inch of water slushing around in the bottom of the door before it leaks out of the door card (or plastic).

Pictures would really help highlight what's going on. We could all be misinterpreting what the OP is telling us.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All - apologies, been off-line over Xmas break. Although the water is coming out the bottom of the door card, it can't get into the cabin due to the high step there is from the sill to get into the cabin. I've tried to get a photo, but just not good enough quality. I have to agree I don't think it acceptable. On 3rd Jan I'm taking it into another Hyundai warranted repairer for them to view the areas in question - they've offered to at no charge and sound very helpful so far. I have an email from Hyundai customer services stating its acceptable, but as you say its like going back to British Leyland in the 70's. The dealer I bought it from have stripped down a couple of the doors and reckon its coming in where the door cards clip into the door skin. Makes me wonder if it has the polythene sheet in place at all! I'm going towrite back to Hyundai about it (UK CEO) as I think it stinks of poor build quality and Hyundai fobbing me off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Mine's 2 years old in febuary ,and just checked my doors ,rear near side door is dripping orange (rusy coloured) water.Not notice this before so yes, and will be going to my local dealer to get their opinion.So far I have had offside rear door repainted due to rust and other stuff fixed, mirror,rear shocks..not happy, shame as I do like the car over all.

·
Registered
722 Posts
You may well struggle to get a reply, backwheelbruce's post is almost two years old.........19 Jan 2014......

·
Registered
245 Posts
You may well struggle to get a reply, backwheelbruce's post is almost two years old.........19 Jan 2014......
Indeed, plus we never obtained any photo's to establish if the water was behind the door card, or due to the design method Hyundai use to disperse excess water from the door shuts.

I'd worked out you would need around 7-10 litres of water sloshing around inside the door for it to leak from behind the plastic door trim - and that assumes the door drain holes are blocked.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I know it was a long shot but both my back door sills get spots of water on them even with the doors closed and the drain holes are clear as I checked them all. The mats are bone dry so is this a design fault or a problem that needs door card removal? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I know it was a long shot but both my back door sills get spots of water on them even with the doors closed and the drain holes are clear as I checked them all. The mats are bone dry so is this a design fault or a problem that needs door card removal? Thanks for any help.

That's normal, if you wash your car then open all the doors, you will notice the door sills (the area marked green in the attached photo) will be soaking wet.

I think the doorcards are the red herring in this issue. Hence why the photo form the OP would have cleared any confusion up.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts