Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not happy! My 10 month old i10 had its first service last week. A small oil leak was found, the source of which is the head gasket which has to be replaced! So I had to spend more petrol taking it back again, which is a 40 odd mile round trip. The dealership have to order in the parts and authorise a hire car for me now! It also had a dodgy headlamp switch, which some others had. A replacement switch was still faulty, the headlamps moved of their own accord when the car was sitting idle. That was fixed with a non-Hyundai approved method of stiffening it, but not so I can't adjust it manually myself. I thought I had a lovely new car - I'm really worried I now have a duff one! Should I complain to head office?

·
Registered
855 Posts
QUOTE (Adora @ Jul 22 2010, 09:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343850
Not happy! My 10 month old i10 had its first service last week. A small oil leak was found, the source of which is the head gasket which has to be replaced! So I had to spend more petrol taking it back again, which is a 40 odd mile round trip. The dealership have to order in the parts and authorise a hire car for me now! It also had a dodgy headlamp switch, which some others had. A replacement switch was still faulty, the headlamps moved of their own accord when the car was sitting idle. That was fixed with a non-Hyundai approved method of stiffening it, but not so I can't adjust it manually myself. I thought I had a lovely new car - I'm really worried I now have a duff one! Should I complain to head office?
Don't worry about the dithering headlights, just about every i10 has that problem in position 0 all it requires is the new controller (2 min warranty job). As for your head gasket, just be thankful for the warranty. I am surprised that the head gasket has blown, as the Kappa engine is usually bullet proof and one of the best units in current production. Paying out for a 40 mile round trip is nothing compared to the labour/parts charges involved in changing the head gasket.

Thinking about what you describe as a small leak, probably means paying for a Hyundai dealership service will result in them looking for lucratve warranty faults. But as a non paying customer wanting the best, is that such a bad thing?

·
Registered
855 Posts
QUOTE (scm @ Jul 23 2010, 03:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344068
Yes, at least on the paper. The engine is also a new construction so not really tested in "real life" :)

Developed at a cost of $421 million over a period of 48 months http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Kappa_engine and it's now been in the real world for two years. I am though assuming that the OP has the 1.2 and not the 1.1 engine. These forums are a magnet for people experiencing problems but rarely has the 1.2 engine been found faulty.

·
Registered
460 Posts
QUOTE (shedloads @ Jul 23 2010, 11:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344079
Developed at a cost of $421 million over a period of 48 months http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyundai_Kappa_engine and it's now been in the real world for two years. I am though assuming that the OP has the 1.2 and not the 1.1 engine. These forums are a magnet for people experiencing problems but rarely has the 1.2 engine been found faulty.
Should have equipped it with decent valves springs then!!!.

·
Registered
183 Posts
QUOTE (shedloads @ Jul 23 2010, 10:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344079

There are manufacturers that spent even more on the engines that after 80-100k miles were nothing more but a pile of scrap metal. Please see some VW/BMW diesels, FORD, GM, Mitsubishi GDI (lasted about 25k miles).....

·
Registered
544 Posts
QUOTE (shedloads @ Jul 22 2010, 08:28 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343931
Don't worry about the dithering headlights, just about every i10 has that problem in position 0 all it requires is the new controller (2 min warranty job). As for your head gasket, just be thankful for the warranty. I am surprised that the head gasket has blown, as the Kappa engine is usually bullet proof and one of the best units in current production. Paying out for a 40 mile round trip is nothing compared to the labour/parts charges involved in changing the head gasket.

Thinking about what you describe as a small leak, probably means paying for a Hyundai dealership service will result in them looking for lucratve warranty faults. But as a non paying customer wanting the best, is that such a bad thing?

"Don't worry about the dithering headlights"............ No, DO worry about the blessed things....it's a new car and you don't want to be plagued by a recurrent fault that has defied HUK's best endeavours to sort.

"just be thankful for the warranty".......... No, it not a case of being thankful for the warranty - you paid for the warranty when you bought the car - it's not a special favour . It's a new car!!!

"Paying out for a 40 mile round trip is nothing compared to the labour/parts charges involved in changing the head gasket"............. The very reason you bought a new car was just so you didn't have to pay out for a new head gasket. A 40 mile round trip and being without your car for X number of days (or weeks, in my case) is not what you bought a new car for.

"Kappa engine is usually bullet proof and one of the best units in current production"....... By what identifiable and quantifiable criteria is it one of the best units in production? By saying it's one of the best, you're comparing it to every other I/C engine currently produced...that's quite a claim and not one I, personally, would be happy to endorse, but I'm in no position to make such a claim. I didn't regard mine as particularly oustanding when clutch judder appeared out of the blue or when filling it up at the petrol station it was returning little more than 32mpg after gentle use. Lastly, I don't consider an engine can be called 'bullet proof' after such a relatively short period of production.

Sorry to disagree....only my personal point of view.

·
Registered
460 Posts
QUOTE (Master_Tech @ Jul 23 2010, 10:04 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344245
The Exhaust valves are the problem, Not the Springs..

As you may have seen, the repair method for this is now to replace the valve springs, as soon as we have these in stock we will either advise to order or supply direct.

Regards

R. H

·
Registered
668 Posts
QUOTE (shedloads @ Jul 23 2010, 06:22 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=344079
Yes I agree also head lights and clutches are no part of the Kappa engine.
If you read the motoring press and reviews all seem to rate this engine very highly.
I had a 1.1 engine and find the 1.2 to be much better MUCH BETTER!

·
Registered
668 Posts
QUOTE (Adora @ Jul 22 2010, 09:47 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343850
Its good form to get back and let us know how your problems were resolved and if you are happy or still having difficulties.
Nothing is perfect and most faults in most machines develop in the first few months of use this is universally true and it would be unrealistic to expect your i10 to be any different.
Some one else has made the point on these forums that we are getting a lot of silly "has anyone else had a squeak from the drivers door handle" type postings this would be better and sound less like childish whining if the person who put up the post followed it up.
I have had my difficulties with Hyundai and know that they are less than perfect ( who is "Toyota" ? ) but there is no use just complaining and then going away and never getting back that's not helping anyone is it ?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts