Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a 2011 i10 classic which has done approx 26,000 miles. I had my second service in July which was quite pricey (just under £300). I recently took my car back to my local dealer as my brakes were making a funny noise. The dealers said both brake pads and discs needed to be replaced. I spoke to my dad about this as he has a lot of car knowledge and said he was very surprised that the discs had to be replaced as well as the pads. I questioned this with Hyundai and they said this happens with a lot with urban driving (I do drive into towns a lot but also long distance too so this baffled me).

Unfortunately as this isnt covered in my warranty I had to pay £225 to fix this. They also said that my 2 front tyres needed to be replaced as the inner parts of both front tyres had worn down significantly more than the central and outer parts. I questioned this and they said its something to do with the i10. Surely this is a tracking issue? I took my car to a local repair centre and got the tyres done tonight (much cheaper and with a better make of tyre) and they said that the brake discs should not have been replaced so soon and also said I should get the tracking checked as the tyres should not be wearing down so much in the inner part. I reiterated what Hyundai told me about it being the way the car is and they said this doesnt sound right

Im not a car expert, but this doesnt seem to be right. Ive forked out over £600 since July. I have done a lot of mileage but the car isnt that old. Has anyone encountered the same problems as I am thinking of writing to Hyundai to get more information. Also does anyone know if adjusting the tracking is included in the warranty as I dont want to pay out even more money.

Thanks

·
Registered
855 Posts
The age of the car has little to do with wear. Even mileage alone is not a true indicator of how much wear to expect, as you were rightly told it is also how the car is used. Urban driving is bound to take its toll on brakes and clutch but this is also down to the driver. 26,000 miles doesn't sound too bad for pads, the disk life seems a bit short but we've had a lot of gritting in the last two years.

Changing and supplying the pads and discs yourself (out of warranty use third party) is easy enough. On ebay now are front disc and pad sets (2 discs + 4 pads) for under £50 inc postage.

Your dealer is correct about front tyre wear on the i10. I've had several of these now and not one has had even tyre wear but they are very sensitive to tyre pressure.
Tracking does not cost much but it may be worth asking your dealer if the ball joints/bushes are ok first as the warranty on these is 60 months/60,000 miles

Hyundai | Limited coverage

1 - 2 of 2 Posts