Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone

I have the 1.2 comfort-but the automatic version.

I want to change to a size 15 wheel/tyre.

However, on the various websites where you tap in your registration number in order to obtain suitable tyre choices, they all have listed size 14 only.

Therefore, does anyone know if there is some form of design feature on the automatic version which limits the maximum size of your wheel/tyre to a 14?

thanks in advance for your time

Rob

·
Registered
47 Posts
14" wheels are standard across the range, automatic or manual, apart from the 1.1 Style models which are fitted with 15" alloy wheels.

So the websites are just trying to be helpful and suggesting the original tyres fitted to your car. I put my i30 car reg into National tyres and it came up only 205/55R16 with no other options to pick.

My car could be fitted with 15", 16", 17" and possibly 18" without problems, and yours can have different sizes as well. Though the 18" would loosen my fillings - I prefer comfort myself. :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
QUOTE (diablo @ Jul 10 2010, 06:27 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340458
14" wheels are standard across the range, automatic or manual, apart from the 1.1 Style models which are fitted with 15" alloy wheels.

So the websites are just trying to be helpful and suggesting the original tyres fitted to your car. I put my i30 car reg into National tyres and it came up only 205/55R16 with no other options to pick.

My car could be fitted with 15", 16", 17" and possibly 18" without problems, and yours can have different sizes as well. Though the 18" would loosen my fillings - I prefer comfort myself. :)
Diablo-
Thanks very much for your reply-
I'll get some prices for the size 15.
Rob

·
Registered
65 Posts
QUOTE (bobwestglam @ Jul 11 2010, 09:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=340794
Diablo-
Thanks very much for your reply-
I'll get some prices for the size 15.
Rob
Hi Rob,

I have 195/15/45 tyres. No problem - very close to same diameter as original. But when you choose wider tyres, you also want to check the rim offset (ET). That decides how "far" the rim widenes the track. That could mean that a tyre could go "outside" the wheelarch, or "to close" to the suspension. I consider that to be a bigger issue than the size of the tyre ( as long as you stay close to original diameter). ET on my rims are 37, which is on the edge of beeing too wide (illegal)...depending on which angle you look at the car.... :grin:

You can also check this thread: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t30053-bigge...ires-anyone.htm

Best regards, Lars

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (Lars @ Jul 12 2010, 09:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341149
Hi Rob,

I have 195/15/45 tyres. No problem - very close to same diameter as original. But when you choose wider tyres, you also want to check the rim offset (ET). That decides how "far" the rim widenes the track. That could mean that a tyre could go "outside" the wheelarch, or "to close" to the suspension. I consider that to be a bigger issue than the size of the tyre ( as long as you stay close to original diameter). ET on my rims are 37, which is on the edge of beeing too wide (illegal)...depending on which angle you look at the car.... :grin:

You can also check this thread: http://www.hyundai-forums.com/t30053-bigge...ires-anyone.htm

Best regards, Lars
Hi Lars
Thanks for taking the time to reply.-
very useful information. just need now to decide whether to go ahead and change the wheels.- Its just a cosmetic thing-don't know about you, but i think the standard wheels on the i10 look a bit small compared to other cars
Rob

·
Registered
541 Posts
QUOTE (bobwestglam @ Jul 13 2010, 06:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341409
Hi Lars
Thanks for taking the time to reply.-
very useful information. just need now to decide whether to go ahead and change the wheels.- Its just a cosmetic thing-don't know about you, but i think the standard wheels on the i10 look a bit small compared to other cars
Rob
A couple of things spring to mind. If I were you I would ring my insurance company and ask if there was any change to premium - and even if there was no change in the premium you're duty bound to tell them of such a modification. Otherwise if it were spotted after an accident you would risk the obvious.

Also, if I were going to change wheels and tyres about, the only thing I would change would be to have a spare set of wheels with good, premium brand winter tyres on. Keep these stored for winter use and you would have grip as good as any 4x4 with standard tyres fitted.

Lastly, the i10 is hardly a looker at the best of times - is it really worth spending quite a lot of money for very little return?

Alternatively you can tell me to mind my own business of course... :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
i shod my i10 with 185/60/14 footwear. Gives an error of just .1% over OE size which is perfect. The braking and handling has improved a lot. Here in India the i10 comes with 155/80/13 footwear....CAN U IMAGINE? They are such puny tires. A few pics below:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
QUOTE (VERNA 1.5VGT @ Jul 14 2010, 12:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341576
i shod my i10 with 185/60/14 footwear. Gives an error of just .1% over OE size which is perfect. The braking and handling has improved a lot. Here in India the i10 comes with 155/80/13 footwear....CAN U IMAGINE? They are such puny tires. A few pics below:
I've got to say that your i10 looks great in white :thumbsup: Nice boots too :grin:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
QUOTE (oldstan @ Jul 13 2010, 08:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341431
A couple of things spring to mind. If I were you I would ring my insurance company and ask if there was any change to premium - and even if there was no change in the premium you're duty bound to tell them of such a modification. Otherwise if it were spotted after an accident you would risk the obvious.

Also, if I were going to change wheels and tyres about, the only thing I would change would be to have a spare set of wheels with good, premium brand winter tyres on. Keep these stored for winter use and you would have grip as good as any 4x4 with standard tyres fitted.

Lastly, the i10 is hardly a looker at the best of times - is it really worth spending quite a lot of money for very little return?

Alternatively you can tell me to mind my own business of course... :)
Lars-thanks again.-
yes- I am coming around to your way of thinking-does not matter how much I spend-it is not going to alter the fact that the car is an i10-and styling is not one of its main strenghts!
Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (VERNA 1.5VGT @ Jul 14 2010, 12:24 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=341576
Verna-
Thanks for the info.-yes -size 13 is very small!.
Also,never seen a white i10 before- and I agree with a previous poster-white seems to suite the i10 - really does look good.
Rob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts