Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Chaps,

Useful little site here.:)

I'm aware that the gearbox oil on the i10 is supposedly 'fill for life' - however I wish to change it anyway with a suitable 75w85 oil as specified in the manual. Yes - probably overkill, but I'm deeply dubious of the ability of any lubricant to last the entire life of the car.

Anyway - I've located the gearbox drain plug (Big hex bolt right on the bottom of the casing as you look in from the passenger wheel arch), but I'm not sure on the location of the fill plug. I *think* it might be halfway up the casing, to the left of the passenger drive shaft, very close to a bolt that's screwed in upside down (Nut head pointing to the floor).

Can anyone verify or provide a suitable diagram/picture?

/Edit to add, It's an i10 1.1 - G4HG engine and I think the 'box is an M5EF2 if that helps.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Err, Bump! Still here, Ignore the fact that the above post has reverted to 'Guest' status, I think I've been caught by the forum bug mentioned in the sticky.

I'd still like to know what's what if you guys do! :)

·
Registered
245 Posts
Hi Chaps,

Can anyone verify or provide a suitable diagram/picture?

Thanks.
Fill plug is at the front half way up. I recently changed my g/box oil at 35k miles to investigate a noisy box (checked for debris). I replaced with Castrol fully synth.

I found nothing inside the box apart from dirty shagged oil, so I wouldn't hesitate changing the box oil on the i10. Christ knows what stuff they used in the factory. Castrol makes no real difference, but at least I know the gears are not stripped and the oil is fresh. If you buy new crush washers for the fill/drain plugs - make sure they are both the SAME. I was given one from another Hyundai model from my local dealer.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Right - not the one I was looking at then!

Is it the one I've highlighted here?
Ah!, yours is the 1.1, so not quite sure. let me take a look at the workshop manual for the 1.1 and I'll get back to you.

This is the info I found for the 1.1 (I think the box is the same for most of the 1.1 variants). Hope it helps.

01.jpg

02.jpg

1 - 7 of 7 Posts