Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you have been following, for the last month I've been working on getting my baby wrapped in 3M 1080 matte grey vinyl. Last night I finally finished it up.

Here are photos of the completed job:

It was a ton of work and I likely won't do it again. On a scale of 1-10, 1 being filling your washer fluid and 10 being a complete engine rebuild, this is probably a 7. It requires a ton of patience (which I don't have) and a willingness to pull apart many of the trim pieces on the car. It's also a two person job, and as I mentioned several times in the other thread, a huge thanks to my wife for all her help on this project.

The total cost was right around $600 for all the material and tools. It takes two 10 yard boxes of wrap to do the whole car, but if I were doing it again I would order the 25 yard box. I actually needed extra due to screwing the roof up twice and the front bumper once and was very fortunate that I had enough extra from a 3rd roll that was damaged during shipping.

Phew. I'm so glad this project is over :)

Neil

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a great look! Sounds like it was a tough one though. What's the maintenance like on a the wrap? Just a regular car wash? Also, did you prep the car's paint before applying?

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is a great look! Sounds like it was a tough one though. What's the maintenance like on a the wrap? Just a regular car wash? Also, did you prep the car's paint before applying?
Since I went with matte instead of glossy vinyl I can't use any soaps that have any gloss enhancers at all. That means no car washes. I have special soap and quick detailer for matte paint and vinyl from Detailed Image.

The only prep on the paint prior to wrapping is washing the car well and using rubbing alcohol to make sure it's super clean.

Neil

·
Registered
265 Posts
That is awesome! Kudos to the hard work but I bet it feels good when your walking out to the car and you look at it and think, yep that was me...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Amazing! This is simply professional. I wish I could do this. The swirl marks on my black Accent are quite crazy.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Amazing! This is simply professional. I wish I could do this. The swirl marks on my black Accent are quite crazy.
I hear ya. Didn't take long before the swirls were everywhere on the black paint. No swirls on the vinyl!

Neil

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow that looks awesome! How many hours in total do you estimate it took you?
I figure I spent two full weeks on it, spending about two hours after work each weekday and then full days on sat/sun for a couple of weekends.

Neil

1 - 20 of 21 Posts