Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife's Santa fe sport was problem free until 116k miles then the engine went bad. Hyundai treated us well...replaced engine and gave us a loaner. Then the catalytic converter went....after months of waiting they paid half. Then her AWD system went. There's still problems with it....However at the time my wife had no problems with her car I bought a 2.0T ultimate addition. All was good for a few months then cat light came on. They replaced, then a bad speaker, they replaced, then seat broke they repaired, then muffler...still unresolved. Then the engine went at 61000 miles. They replaced and all was good until today. I went to pull out into traffic and I had the power of a 3 cylinder...you guessed it, turbo went. I pulled the code and called the dealer he Sai I had to wait 2 weeks because they're so backed up. I went ballistic!!! I never do that but I've had enough with Hyundai crap....it goes in Monday but they have no turbos in stock and they have to test it. Now I'm wondering if I simply get rid of these pieces of crap as I'm afraid we won't have any reliable cars. That being said I'm done with Hyundai.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Turbo, AWD, DCT.
These are things I've never owned in a car, and by God, never will.

I own a 2.0 sant fe Turbo, Hyundais Turbo's are pretty reliable, so it could be cessnaflyboys is gone or it could be simply the intercooler looking rad found in the front of the engine has simply sprung a leak.? anyone check it for leaks...? if the intercooler leaks it will be down on power that's a fact'. i would check the intercooler 1st for signs of leaks. & as far as AWD systems go nothing wrong with owning AWD system provided the vehicle owner keeps up on the changing of fluids & uses correct & proper oem or compatible fluids in the front and back diffs' & transfer case & again changes them on a timely basis youl be be fine. i have owned a 98 nissan pathfinder AWD, 2007 Murano AWD, & curently 2014 S.F AWD, vehicles before never had a problem with any AWD system.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Knowing the model year would help with this discussion, SFS after 2016 appeared to have improved durability and in particular the 2018 final model year seemed to be much improved. Overall all vehicles will have failures, even Toyota and Honda and if you're one of the unlucky ones and outside of warranty it is little comfort.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Knowing the model year would help with this discussion, SFS after 2016 appeared to have improved durability and in particular the 2018 final model year seemed to be much improved. Overall all vehicles will have failures, even Toyota and Honda and if you're one of the unlucky ones and outside of warranty it is little comfort.
This is a 2015 Ultimate edition and I just got into a argument with Hyundai----the waste gate is not closing and this happened 500 miles after the engine was replaced. The dealer saying it's not their fault and Hyundai does not cover it. $768 out of my freaking pocket----this is unbelievable! How is this not part of the power train? The turbo can not work with out it.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Over the years I've seen numerous posts mentioning the 10yr/100k miles warranty (US market) as if it covers the entire vehicle and of course it's only for powertrain - which as you are learning has many exclusions as well, I view the warranty as largely as marketing tool, it's nice to have but won't and didn't stop me from buying a vehicle with lesser warranty coverage.
Your catalytic converter failure imo was undoubltedly caused by an engine consuming excessive oil and Hyundai should have replaced it for free, but they choose to jerk you around, having suffered thru the engine failures they also might have elected to goodwill the wastegate failure, but didn't.
And of course you get the typical even Honda and Toyota can have problems, few will argue that but the industry reports show that their autos are kept for longer periods than Hyundai, despite not offering the 10/100 warranty.

Reactions: AK103U

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is a 2015 Ultimate edition and I just got into a argument with Hyundai----the waste gate is not closing and this happened 500 miles after the engine was replaced. The dealer saying it's not their fault and Hyundai does not cover it. $768 out of my freaking pocket----this is unbelievable! How is this not part of the power train? The turbo can not work with out it.
The powertrain is the engine and tranny. This would have be covered under the 5yr/60mi warranty

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a new 2013 Santa Fe Sport 2.0T. At about 100,000 miles Hyundai said some motors had metal flakes in them and said come have the motor checked.They said it was fine. 125,000 miles, the engine locked up. Hyundai replaced engine and all was fine. 145,000 miles, engine locked up. Hyundai replaced engine and turbo. Hyundai said third engine was different design and will be fine. I was told they replaced the turbo on the second engine But guy on third engine said it was never changed. Car runs great and have warranty for 7 more months on engine. I thought i was well taken care of and each time, it only took a week to finish the installs after I called them about bad motor. Driver door lock not working and some driver seat trim coming loose. Other than that, not so bad.

·
Registered
2019 Santa Fe SE (Earthy Bronze) with factory trailer hitch.
55 Posts
I'm with @cessna152flyboy. I will not be getting another Hyundai again. I bought a 2017 Sonata, new. After about 2 years, my service warranty was up and a salesman asked me if I wanted something new. I said " yeah, I would like to get a nicer Sonata" I had a base model and wanted to upgrade to SEL. Salesman said my payment would go up $100- $200 on a new Sonata, but If I got a SanteFe (base) I could keep my payments where they were. After reluctantly picking out a Base SF we did the paper work and before I knew it I was the new owner of a Earthy Bronze Sant Fe. AND with a payment of $150 more than before. After I asked WTF and why was my payment so high and that I didn't want to go through with it, they had already transferred the titles and I was basically stuck and am now upside down in a base Santa Fe. I will accept the blame of buying the SF, but the way they treated me was horrible. (Werner Hyundai, Tallahassee FL)

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
. Other than that, not so bad.
Well some would consider that pretty bad - being on the 3rd engine, I think you may have a lifetime warranty on the 3rd engine though - in accordance with a class action settlement, so maybe you can get a 4th engine - that would put you in very elite company - maybe even the 1st to ever achieve that, lol.

·
Registered
3,781 Posts
You could always buy a Jeep. Their running an advertising campaign saying just how bad they have been in the past but all is well now. Gives me nothing but confidence.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well some would consider that pretty bad - being on the 3rd engine, I think you may have a lifetime warranty on the 3rd engine though - in accordance with a class action settlement, so maybe you can get a 4th engine - that would put you in very elite company - maybe even the 1st to ever achieve that, lol.
Could be.. It's nice to have a goal. LOL Didn't know about the suit. thanks

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree, Hyundai's customer service has been amazing. But the lost time at work, not trusting in my car to "the distance" and afraid to travel more than a few hours away is not what I consider a "good experience". Now I'm stuck with this POS that has been riddled with problem after problem. I will be going back to Toyota as every vehicle I've had from them was rarely in the shop. I'm averaging once a month for several days at a time. It's beyond annoying now...

·
Registered
3,706 Posts
I'd rather get rid of it and be upside down that always be pissed off.

Dealing with fleets, I can say there is no better or worse brand out there. It's all a crap shoot.

Reactions: AK103U

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'd rather get rid of it and be upside down that always be pissed off.

Dealing with fleets, I can say there is no better or worse brand out there. It's all a crap shoot.
you said it all brother. at one time if you wanted a specific color or trim toyota you had to go on a waiting list. now the lots have rows and rows of them and they're not quite the same.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you said it all brother. at one time if you wanted a specific color or trim toyota you had to go on a waiting list. now the lots have rows and rows of them and they're not quite the same.
Are you stating that Toyota has become unreliable?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Are you stating that Toyota has become unreliable?
i don't know if i'd say unreliable but more like not like they used to be. i've never been on the toyota or honda site but i'll bet there are people saying they'll never buy another one. i know at subaru there are. to be honest after what i'm hearing from here and at work i don't know if i'll buy another hyundai.times coming up and my wife is liking the tucson.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I too will not be buying another Hyundai. After being on this forum for a while now and the entire engine mess, I'm done. My SFS 2.0 has been reliable so far with 31k miles on the clock. I retire in 1 1/2 years and I'll be looking at a Mazda CX-5 or a Toyota Rav4 to keep long term, as I won't be driving much once I retire.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
i don't know if i'd say unreliable but more like not like they used to be. i've never been on the toyota or honda site but i'll bet there are people saying they'll never buy another one. i know at subaru there are. to be honest after what i'm hearing from here and at work i don't know if i'll buy another hyundai.times coming up and my wife is liking the tucson.
I think with any brand you'll find a certain number of people who swear they are unhappy and won't buy again. From the reports I've seen Toyotas are still very reliable but a growing number of industry reviews are increasingly critical of some of Toyotas products as now lagging the competition in a number of areas - such as power trains where their na engines don't make good power until high in the rpm range and the result is increased nvh.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
I think sometimes its the draw of the luck! I have had Hyundais since 2002 never ever experienced any problems whatsoever. Lucky I guess!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts