Hyundai Forums banner

I went and did it...

2K views 12 replies 2 participants last post by  Old's Cool 
#1 ·
I got another Manufacturer's Rep job, driving all over New England. I was planning on 2-3 days a week, but it gets much more.

I live in a fairly rural area with few highways, so I spend a lot of time on secondary roads. The one thing I don't really like about the Accent is it's brick-like handling.

I needed shocks, and very soon I'm going to need tires. I already noticed they are quite as grippy as they were on wet pavement. I had Altamax RT (no number) and I LOVED the tread design, but you can't get them any more.

So, I ordered the shocks, KYB Gas struts and shocks. I also ordered the tires.

I did this because I ordered a set of Megan springs, that lower the car ~1.5"...

I got a set of Uniroyal TigerPaw tires, and went with a lower profile, because when I measured the clearance on the 185/65-14's. it would have left me with less than half an inch clearance. So I went with 185/60-14s to avoid issues with the tires hitting.

What I really wanted to do was go with 15" wheels, but the budget couldn't handle it. I bought everything at at least 1/3 off even the lowest prices, so it's basically costing me what shocks and tires would have.

I wanted to get some Konig Rewind wheels, because I always liked the design. Maybe next time, if they're still available...

Without new wheels, it's going to lower the car ~2"

Watch this space...

See less See more
#3 ·
LOL!

Hoon???

Now the only real problem, I signed up for one of those insurance plans where you have to put a dongle into you OBD (sounds obscene)...so the whole purpose of increasing the handling is negated by HAVING TO DRIVE THE SPEED LIMITS! :(

Reactions: Red Raspberry
#5 ·
<SNERK!>

Hoon activities (or hooning) can include speeding, burnouts, doughnuts, or screeching tyres.[1] Those commonly identified as being involved in hooning are young and predominantly male drivers in the age range of 17 to 25 years.[2]

Believe me, there are NO burnouts or doughnuts or screeching tires with an Accent.

Unless you're the other guy (can't remember his name) who tricked his out for ~$7,000

#7 ·
I don't think they even correlate the GPS with the speed. They count hard accelerations and hard braking, and miles driven per day. The less I drive, the bigger the discount.

#8 ·
Springs got here today.

I swapped the tires from 185/65-14 to 185/ 60-14, and just that alone has made a big difference in body lean!

I would have done it in the first place, but the ones I wanted wouldn't fit on the wheels. They said to be mounted on 5.5-6.5" wheels.

I thought my car has 5" wheels, but it turns out they're 5.5", and the tires I put on today are good down to 5".

#11 ·
From what I read today Holdens were being manufactured by Opel and imported from Europe.

Sure would like to get a Commodore Wagon, though. (y)

#13 ·
I got in my car and went off on a job today. Cruising the roadways to the highway, the ramp to get on the highway, and the highway, with the lower profile tires was quite easy and comfortable. It was running so nicely, I started thinking, "Gee, maybe I won't put the springs in, after all.

Then I got into the mountain twisties in Vermont.

The springs go in next weekend... :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.