Hyundai Forums banner

I think my 2013 Sonata’s engine seized...

6K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  avisitor 
#1 ·
I was driving again and the engine died again. This time it will not start again. It sounds like the starter engages for a split second and then no sound. To me it sounds like the starter cannot spin the flywheel which to me indicates the internals of the engine no longer turn either.

There was no warning really. I did feel a pop in the pedal when it did it. No knocking or noises otherwise. The check engine light never blinked like Hyundai claims it will with the new ECM cluster update.

Has anyone else had this happen? If so, was the engine replacement process difficult? I work tomorrow, my car is 105 miles away at a dealer with no appointment. I just didn’t want to tow it all the way back here at 350 dollars.

#2 ·
Did you try a jump start?

Dead battery caused by dead alternator or seized engine. With Hyundai's engine rep, hope you're under warranty

#3 ·
Did you try a jump start?

Dead battery caused by dead alternator or seized engine. With Hyundai's engine rep, hope you're under warranty
It has power. The starter engages and I can hear it start to spin but then it can’t spin. I’m sure the dealer will try to jump it just in case that’s the issue, but I’m thinking the engine seized. :/

#12 · (Edited)
I was driving again and the engine died again. This time it will not start again. It sounds like the starter engages for a split second and then no sound. To me it sounds like the starter cannot spin the flywheel which to me indicates the internals of the engine no longer turn either.

There was no warning really. I did feel a pop in the pedal when it did it. No knocking or noises otherwise. The check engine light never blinked like Hyundai claims it will with the new ECM cluster update.

Has anyone else had this happen? If so, was the engine replacement process difficult? I work tomorrow, my car is 105 miles away at a dealer with no appointment. I just didn’t want to tow it all the way back here at 350 dollars.
Same symptoms with my 2014 sonata. I checked my vin numbers and my engine was not listed on the recall when i checked on 2016. July 2019. Engine shut off while coasting to a red light. No start. Tried jumpstarting. No go.

Had car towed to Hyundai dealership. Diagnosis. Seized engine.

I have the 10/100000 warranty. Car had 45600 miles on the ODO. They honored the warranty. Gave me a free rental car.

Engine replacement took about 3 weeks. From paperwork to job completion. They replaced with a refurbished engine. Brand new internals. New intake manifold. They reuse the high pressure fuel pump.

#14 ·
Maybe check to see if the alternator or power steering is seized
The starter will burn a belt to turn an engine over...a huge amount of torque there. I haven't seen what you're suggesting in my limited experience.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.