Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The last time I went in I had to replace a tire, due to a large screw, and my apparent non-avoidance of said screw. bottom line...the tech's impact wrench, impacted my rim, and not in a nice way.

Today, I noticed that a fog light is dead....so I figure I'll bring it in (it looks like too much of a pain in my *** to do myself, and I figured I'd replace both bulbs) anywho... I ask the female service advisor (sit down ladies) what bulb I needed..since I may get better quality bulbs for them to install. After 6 minutes...she comes back and says "We are trying to figure out which bulb your limited turbo needs..apparently there are two bulbs...and nobody here knows which one you need".

I hung up.

I didn't even get to the part about my back-up camera suddenly being very "foggy" and out of focus. I don't think I want them fixing that.

btw...which bulb do I need? lol

·
22,793 Posts
Can't help you on the exact bulb size you need, but I can offer one piece of advice: Find another dealer. If for no other reason but to satisfy your dealer competence curiosity. Just locating the correct bulb could be a good determining factor on which dealer you might want to select for future service needs.

When the parts guy can look this up, with relative ease, then look at you and say, "Yeah...that's a ######." We have a winner! That's more than those other clowns offered you.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
For those that offer 2 bulb.. take the bulb out and look at the number stenciled to the base by the bulb maker.. Industry std practice..

If I recall, you can see enough of the bulb in the lamp housing to have part counter fella pull both off the shel, and do a visual of each bulb to which one looks like what Hyundai installed to your car, get the "industry number" off base, and say thank you, and now you know what you need.

·
Registered
35 Posts
As far as the camera goes...simple question, have you wiped off your lens above the license plate? The fog light bulb is a H8.

·
Registered
521 Posts
If you were more north I'd suggest the dealer I purchased my last 3 cars from, but they are in Winter Park... guessing too far for you to go for service :)

Have you looked at the backup camera to make sure a spider or something hasn't made a little web around it? Would be great if it were that easy of a fix. Hopefully no water in it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
As far as the camera goes...simple question, have you wiped off your lens above the license plate? The fog light bulb is a H8.
I have to clean mine and I have the same problem as the OP. All this snow and salt can make a not so nice view out of the camera.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the replies fellas...I indeed will go to another dealer... I just wish I knew the bulb in advance, being that I would like to match it with my headlights (manufacturer), that being Sylvania silver star ultra's.

regarding my backup camera...I cleaned it a few times once I started noticing this..it's clean as ever... just wondering if I have an issue with the slide in camera....or something in the head unit...all of which I have one more month on for the warranty.

it's kind of an odd double vision thing....rather than a foggy thing....and to answer your question....NO...I am not a big drinker. ;)

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
What bulb size does the manual call for? Many fog light bulb sizes are interchangeable with the difference being slightly different wattage.

·
22,793 Posts
I guess it's about time I look at the manual.

he says in his best why didn't I think of that voice......
Common sense post of the day! Congrats. Welcome to "the rest of us" that sometime forget the simplest solutions. he says in 20/20 hindsight..... :grin:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Or you can also use H9 or H11 (55W) -- all will fit . . . However, an H9 (65W) incandescent (halogen) while much brighter, may produce too much heat for the fog light in the Sonata. An H9 or H11 in LED would work fine as they produce less heat and more light than a regular 35 Watt H8 burner.

The H8 is a relatively "weak" bulb.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Fog light bulbs are H8 and take < 5 minutes to replace.

There is a plastic panel underneath each fog light. Two plastic phillips head screws will give you access to lie on the ground and reach up with your arm.

There's just a simply plug into the light bulb itself, and then it simply goes in and twists maybe 45-degrees, and you're done.

You could swap both bulbs yourself in under 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
so there is no metal clip to pinch like the H7 headlight bulbs?

Fog light bulbs are H8 and take < 5 minutes to replace.

There is a plastic panel underneath each fog light. Two plastic phillips head screws will give you access to lie on the ground and reach up with your arm.

There's just a simply plug into the light bulb itself, and then it simply goes in and twists maybe 45-degrees, and you're done.

You could swap both bulbs yourself in under 5 minutes.

·
22,793 Posts
Be wary of close quarters getting your arm up in there. A long sleeved shirt is your friend. Otherwise, the odds of getting scratches on your arms goes up proportionately to the length of time you're up inside there fiddling around. Don't ask...:wink2:

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Be wary of close quarters getting your arm up in there. A long sleeved shirt is your friend. Otherwise, the odds of getting scratches on your arms goes up proportionately to the length of time you're up inside there fiddling around. Don't ask...:wink2:
it's all good...I don't have any arms.

·
Registered
2013 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport
2,291 Posts
Yea but then you wont have any cool wounds to show to prospective passengers...if you get my drift:D

Oh and OP, find a new dealer STAT. I would not trust those guys to top of my windshield washer fluid.

My guess is not too many of the people in that service dept even drive Hyundai cars.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts