Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help folks. I fail at research. Only because i did none and assumed. I purchased a set of 2014 Kia Optima oem wheels in very nice condition. They don't fit. So i'm stewing in my stupidity and asking here what the the bolt pattern is for a 2014 Kia Optima is? Yes, i know Google works and know the cliche of ASS U ME. I just had tires mounted, balanced & TPMS installed. Going to see if adapters are an option. This ranks up as one of my all time FUBARS. Help please!

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Optima and Elantra use the same bolt pattern. The TPMS is different so you need Elantra-compatible sensors.
The only Kia/Hyundai bolt pattern that won't fit is the Accent/Rio - they're 4x100 (4 lug).

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Are all years of the Elantra 5x114.3 (5x4.5"), even the new ones? Also do they all have an offset of 50mm?

Thanks,
KindOldMan
2007 and newer Elantra are 5x114.3. 2006 and older were 4 lug - 4x114.3

Offset on Elantra platform typically about 4mm more than Sonata platform. Difference amounts to wheels moving outboard about 3/16" - not enough to be noticeable

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
1 out of 4 fit. I have tried each wheel on each corner. I've never encountered this before. Not sure what to make of it. Guess I'll have to grind the holes out some?
Look on one of the spokes of the wheel for a Hyundai or Kia logo and a part number beginning with 52933.
If the wheels are slightly off, they are probably GM 5x115 wheels. In that case, they'd have a GM part number. GM's center bore (middle hole in the wheel, measured from the inside) is 70.3mm while H/K is 67.1 Measure the center and if it's a hair over 70, you have GM wheels.

·
Registered
2017 Sonata Sport 2.0T
460 Posts
Guess I'll have to grind the holes out some?

I wouldn't recommend doing that. If I'm not mistaken, those are lug-centric, not hub-centric. Any slop will result vibration, wobble and perhaps even the metal fatiguing and failing.

They either fit or they don't. Maybe time to cut your losses? I doubt you can find adapters and if you did that would increase the track and also the load on the wheel brgs and alter the suspension geometry. Sell those and find the right ones.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Take out the ruler and measure the centers of the holes in the rims.
If one rim measures different than the other three, then you didn't get a full matching set and should see if seller would refund.
If all rims measure the same, then move on to the studs on your car.
If they all measure the same, and the wheels all measure the same, then try fitting them on again, could just have gone at it at a bad angle.
If they do not measure the same then you should look into getting your Hubs replaced to OEM spec to save much more headaches in the future.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
1 out of 4 fit. I have tried each wheel on each corner. I've never encountered this before. Not sure what to make of it. Guess I'll have to grind the holes out some?

NO.

Sell them and find the correct wheel. Modifying the lug holes is NEVER a good idea. Anytime you remove metal you weaken the assembly, even if only a little.

Have you confirmed you actually got what you purchased?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I suspect that the issue is Korea 115 mm vs US market 114.3 mm. I'll need to check part # (529104C170, 529102T140, 529102T170) when i get home. Maybe the previous owners curbed one wheel and replaced it but never installed on the car after purchasing aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Those part numbers do point to a Kia Optima wheel, and they should bolt on to the Elantra easily. If you have another Hyundai or Kia in the family, try to take one of the oddball no-fit wheels and test fit it on another car. If it doesn't fit on the other car either, the wheel is the problem.

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I suspect that the issue is Korea 115 mm vs US market 114.3 mm. I'll need to check part # (529104C170, 529102T140, 529102T170) when i get home. Maybe the previous owners curbed one wheel and replaced it but never installed on the car after purchasing aftermarket wheels.
Ah, a possibility I didn't consider, the Korean vs American build. There are several body parts for the Elantra that are identified as "Korea Built" and "US Alabama Built". Seems really strange that they would not be the same, but I figure if the parts book points it out, there must be something there.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Those part numbers do point to a Kia Optima wheel, and they should bolt on to the Elantra easily. If you have another Hyundai or Kia in the family, try to take one of the oddball no-fit wheels and test fit it on another car. If it doesn't fit on the other car either, the wheel is the problem.

I do not have another Hyundai to try it on. I'm guessing i have 3 wheels of one part # and 1 wheel of another part # I'll have check later. No matter I'll have to bite the bullet and swallow the TPMS, mounting & balancing funds :frown:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts