Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got home today, pulled into the garage and hit the button to close the door, massive BOOM sound. The wire to the spring on the garage door broke. Fortunately it didn't do any damage that I can see to the car, but I'll have to check closer. The spring flew up and took out one of the light bulbs in the garage, but I think that's the only damage.

So I call the local door repair guy. but all I get is an answering machine. Fortunately he calls me back. Now the decision, do I pay the extra $50 to get it fixed tonight or do I park the car on the street for 2 days and let him fix it Monday. As you can guess from the title, I'm paying the extra $50.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
OK, scratch that. Repair guy was just here and says he can't fix it. I need to replace the door. The bottom is so rusted out that it will probably not hold. Needless to say, I have to wait till at least Monday before he can change the door. So now my poor baby has to sleep outside for two nights. I'll be a nervous wreck by Monday.

·
Registered
258 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ Apr 17 2010, 05:59 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314183
OK, scratch that. Repair guy was just here and says he can't fix it. I need to replace the door. The bottom is so rusted out that it will probably not hold. Needless to say, I have to wait till at least Monday before he can change the door. So now my poor baby has to sleep outside for two nights. I'll be a nervous wreck by Monday.
I just hope you are not living in one of the "interesting" neighborhoods in Chicago... :thumbsup: ...this beautiful Sonata wouldn't last one minute alone on the street.

All joking aside, goo to hear that nothing serious happened. Good luck with garage door replacement on Monday.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
QUOTE (ula @ Apr 17 2010, 07:36 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314203
I just hope you are not living in one of the "interesting" neighborhoods in Chicago... :thumbsup: ...this beautiful Sonata wouldn't last one minute alone on the street.

All joking aside, goo to hear that nothing serious happened. Good luck with garage door replacement on Monday.
No, not 'interesting', but still don't feel real good about it. I'm actually in one of the neighborhoods where all the city workers live. I never understood it, I'd say about 40% of the people park on the street because their garages are too full of junk. But it's still the prettiest car on the street. And in white, I really stands out.

I wonder how comfortable it would be sleep in it over night :frozen:

·
Registered
87 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ Apr 17 2010, 08:40 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314204
No, not 'interesting', but still don't feel real good about it. I'm actually in one of the neighborhoods where all the city workers live. I never understood it, I'd say about 40% of the people park on the street because their garages are too full of junk. But it's still the prettiest car on the street. And in white, I really stands out.

I wonder how comfortable it would be sleep in it over night :frozen:
I've taken naps in mine, and it's comfortable. The seats fold almost flat (at least the driver's side) so if you have a pillow you practically have a bed. With heated leather if you have the Limited :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Consider yourself lucky, I've seen those springs do some serious damage. Not to mention your baby could have gotten a garage door on it's roof....poor car.

Good Luck!! And get the garage fixed, that is your cars bed...would you sleep in the street??

Think about it?!!

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I slept like a baby last night, up every 2 hours and crying!

So far it looks OK. Hopefully only one more night to go.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
QUOTE (HyundaiDealer @ Apr 17 2010, 09:55 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314226
Consider yourself lucky, I've seen those springs do some serious damage. Not to mention your baby could have gotten a garage door on it's roof....poor car.
Wow, I thought you were kidding about the door itself falling. But two people at work mentioned that it had happened to them.

Great, so now I'm afraid to park on the street and afraid to park in the garage. Guess it's time to build a bunker.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well the new door is installed. I feel much better now. I also decided to go ahead and replace the opener at the same time. The old one was installed before we bought the house 14 years ago so I figured it couldn't last much longer. Might was well kill 2 birds with one stone.

Maybe I'll be able to sleep tonight.

·
Registered
258 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ Apr 19 2010, 06:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314707
Well the new door is installed. I feel much better now. I also decided to go ahead and replace the opener at the same time. The old one was installed before we bought the house 14 years ago so I figured it couldn't last much longer. Might was well kill 2 birds with one stone.

Good to hear! Sweat dreams and dream about Sonata's only!

·
Registered
594 Posts
QUOTE (midas69 @ Apr 19 2010, 07:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=314707

If the garage door springs are te ones I think you have you may consider threading a thin steel cable through the spring to keep it in place should something break. If it is the design I am thinking it is (solid door where the whole door is lifted and lilted in one single piece when opening) then those springs are not called torpedo springs for nothing.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't know how to actually describe it, but I'll try. The old door had 2 springs on the side of the door that were perpendicular to the door, parallel to the rails. The new door has a single spring that is parallel to the door. Unless the door is completely closed you can't even see the spring. So unless the door is completely closed, if the spring breaks, I think it's going to be contained by hitting the door itself.

And to be clear, it wasn't actually spring before that broke, it was the wire the spring was attached to the door with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts