Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and have been looking all over for find help with Code P0500. Code P1529 is also visible indicating a light on the dash. Yup, it's on!
P0500 reads as vehicle speed sensor malfunction. Today I replaced the sensor assembly part #42621-39052 (output speed sensor) with a new part from the dealership. Cleared the codes and the light came back on. I do understand that there is an "input speed sensor" as well.

Car information:
2001 Elantra
2.0 L with Auto
Milage 31,400 (yes, 31,400 no typo)
The speedometer is steady with no needle bouncing.
No noticable frayed or loose wires and the car has never been wrecked.
No rust or corrosion either.
The car does shift normal without issues (my experience). But my wife did mention she felt a jerking with the car and acceleration. But, I have not experienced this problem in 20 miles of driving at various speeds and grades. Her experience could have been due to low fuel level, the excuse but it was not on "E". I have told her numerous times never run it below 1/4 tank.

I'm wondering if at this point it's the other sensor "input speed sensor" I did replace a sensor a while back that has a gear at the base, suspected speedo drive gear sensor. The folks at Autozone suggested this one.

Has someone else out there experienced similar issues?

Thank you,
Steve

·
Registered
4,851 Posts
Output speed sensor is different from a vehicle speed sensor. Output speed sensor is on the output flange of the transmission. The VSS of an Elantra XD is a reed sensor inside the speedometer according to hmaservice.com.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QUOTE (jsinton @ Jul 20 2010, 03:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=343333
Output speed sensor is different from a vehicle speed sensor. Output speed sensor is on the output flange of the transmission. The VSS of an Elantra XD is a reed sensor inside the speedometer according to hmaservice.com.

Thank you for the lead :)

I managed to track down the passenger side wheel sensor and found the wires had been chewed by a rack rat. Both wires bitten off at the connector, I was left with 1 wire at 1/8" and the other at 1/16". Managed to solder both back together, clear the codes and turn off the service light. On a non-ABS car it's the very last thing I would have looked for.

I am very surprised that it did not indicate Wheel Speed Sensor.

Thanks again! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts