Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2013 Santa Fe 2.0 t loaded, only without awd. Well I messed up I should have gotten it. It has bugged me ever since I pulled off the lot. So I am screwed.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Do you think your going to need it. I got it but i'm also in the army and we move often so thats why I got it plus i'm also native of NY. You lose some mpg due to the weight. but I still get 26 on the interstate last trip i took on I-95.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would want the 2.0t with awd.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
About needing it I do t know. There have been about 3 x's in a year I could of used it. Also thanks for your service!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Why do you feel like you messed up? I purposely got the FWD, because to me, winter tires are the way to go. I'm from Winnipeg, though, and we get a lot of slippery road conditions in the winter. Adding the extra cash for both AWD and winter tires was over-kill. So I went with the tires. Once you get winter tires, you realize just how effective they are. So don't sweat your decision.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I got it just beceause I was sick n tired of bailing on all the cool options vehicles come with. I wish I could have pulled off the top with HID, nav and air con seats.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Although the snow/slush traction won't be quite as good.... Just get decent winter tires, and that will make a noticeable difference. I had a Jeep, and now the 2.0T AWD, and I get not only for traction in the winter, but for resale value down the road.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
It get proved time and time again that a 2wd on winter tyres is far better (in winter) than a 4wd on summer tyres. That's not just Santa Fe, but any brand/model.

·
Registered
37 Posts
In a typical Winnipeg winter, I'm concerned way less with getting through deep snow than I am with traction on icy roads. In the thick of things, almost every 4-way in my city becomes a skating rink at some time, but we rarely get huge snow dumpings now. This is where a good set of winter tires has helped me considerably over the years. Whereas a set of all season tires, which turn into bricks in the winter, are still bricks even on an AWD. I would go with a FWD with winter tires 100% of the time over AWD and no winter tires. (And again, it was overkill to shell out the extra $$ for both winter tires and AWD.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I just purchased a 2.0T FWD and am not regretting it one bit. For the snow that we get a few times a year its just not worth the added expense of maintenance and lower mpg's throughout the year. Prior to this vehicle I had a genesis coupe that I drove through 3 winter seasons on all season tires and never had an issue.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
126 Posts
^THIS EXACTLY! If I lived in Colorado or some place that I'm dealing with a ton of snow AND mountains, then the AWD is a no-brainer. For us in the midwest, you will get around just fine with FWD. As Tokarski stated, the trade-off for better MPG and less cost of ownership more than offsets my dismal need for AWD where I live. Is it amazing to have? **** yeah. Should you regret your decision? No way.

·
Registered
371 Posts
It get proved time and time again that a 2wd on winter tyres is far better (in winter) than a 4wd on summer tyres. That's not just Santa Fe, but any brand/model.

Very true!;)

However AWD with snow tires is the ultimate for winter driving and down the road the resale value on the FWD really drops off compared to AWD. B)

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
Why do you need it? Is the weather in Ohio that extreme?

AWD or four wheel drive will not do any more on ice than a two wheel drive vehicle. If you drive in a lot of snow it can be helpful. Do they not clean the streets there?

I had one like yours and I cannot imagine when I would have ever needed AWD. But that's just me.

·
Registered
181 Posts

AWD or four wheel drive will not do any more on ice than a two wheel drive vehicle. If you drive in a lot of snow it can be helpful. Do they not clean the streets there?

I had one like yours and I cannot imagine when I would have ever needed AWD. But that's just me.
I spent 8 hours driving through Ohio in a blizzard once. It can get pretty bad some times.

·
Registered
33 Posts
As others say mitigate with a set of winter tires. You really are not losing much sparing the cost of the rims since you are getting a longer tread life from tires. You will also be able to get better seasonal tires later for the spring-fall session. You are also getting better MPG and a lower cost of entry for purchase.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
A well known auto journalist up here Jim Mackenzie always says ; four wheel drive allows you to have your accidents at higher speed. It does nothing for stopping.
Wife had her first accident rear ending somebody in a snow storm driving our four wheel drive Jeep.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Ya, It's true. All AWD-4 wheel drive is good is getting you going when there is lots of snow. I hate ppl that think their 4wd is going to safe them and they drive like **** in bad conditions!!!

·
Registered
413 Posts

The extreme is places that hover around freezing point. They get icy roads with snow on top. It makes it a disaster. I have AWD and Snows, winter is normal now and stress free!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts