Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm itching for a new vehicle and I have been looking at and test driving CUV's like Crosstrek, CX5, Tucson, Rogue, CRV and man what a mess things are right now. So many vehicles across the board still don't have Carplay/Android Auto in 2018, safety & convenience features (like blind spot detection and adaptive cruise) are all over the place, and standard trims of $20-25K vehicles don't even have basics like fog lights.

There are some decent financing offers right now but no killer deals and my local dealers have basically no extra incentives like free oil changes or services to help my decision. Add to that the low resale value of my car ($4-5K) and I'm thinking I may just keep her two more years until we pay off the Pathfinder and hopefully things will be more standardized.

·
Registered
786 Posts
My next car will be:
1) mostly self driving
2) have some sort of alternative fuel technology, electric seems the the most promising in the future at this point. The other thing I like about electric is that there are far fewer components to break and maintain.
3) reliable (I'm talking like hyundai/toyota daily-driver type reliable, tesla is far from that)

If a car doesn't fit all 3 criteria once i've had my car for 8 years total (only 3.5 more years to go), then I mayyyy re-evaluate.

To your point, the only thing that has improved with cars over the last 5 years is andriod auto/apple carplay and convenience features like adaptive cruise control. Can't see myself upgrading anytime soon for any of those reasons.

·
Registered
5,010 Posts
If your Pathfinder has the YD25 engine don't stretch your luck. My son had one in his shop and the engine repair came to 7K. Second hand engines sell for 6K.

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My next car will be:
1) mostly self driving
2) have some sort of alternative fuel technology, electric seems the the most promising in the future at this point. The other thing I like about electric is that there are far fewer components to break and maintain.
3) reliable (I'm talking like hyundai/toyota daily-driver type reliable, tesla is far from that)

If a car doesn't fit all 3 criteria once i've had my car for 8 years total (only 3.5 more years to go), then I mayyyy re-evaluate.

To your point, the only thing that has improved with cars over the last 5 years is andriod auto/apple carplay and convenience features like adaptive cruise control. Can't see myself upgrading anytime soon for any of those reasons.

I’m nearly at 7.5 years but my car is in good shape aside from some upcoming routine maintenance and has fairly low mileage. I don’t care much about alternative fuels but don’t want to lose much fuel economy over my Elantra.

What do you mean by mostly self driving? I don’t want self driving yet but would like to have cruise assist, collision/object emergency stop (mostly for parking lots), blind spot warning, and lane drift alert. Self parking would also be great but I’m not even seeing that in my price range yet.

·
Registered
786 Posts
By mostly self driving, I'd like it to drive 99% of the time. The big challenge for self-driving cars is still construction and icy/extreme weather conditions. In the near future, I don't expect self-driving technology to get to a point where the steering wheel is removed from the car, but I do believe it can get to a point soon where I don't have to pay attention to my commute anymore :) That's why i'm so interested in it!

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By mostly self driving, I'd like it to drive 99% of the time. The big challenge for self-driving cars is still construction and icy/extreme weather conditions. In the near future, I don't expect self-driving technology to get to a point where the steering wheel is removed from the car, but I do believe it can get to a point soon where I don't have to pay attention to my commute anymore :) That's why i'm so interested in it!
Yes this would have been my dream when I lived in Austin, that 2-3 hours a day commuting was bad for the mind, body, and soul. I'm only around 30 mins a day now and traffic is rare.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yes this would have been my dream when I lived in Austin, that 2-3 hours a day commuting was bad for the mind, body, and soul. I'm only around 30 mins a day now and traffic is rare.

https://www.techemergence.com/self-driving-car-timeline-themselves-top-11-automakers/
There are 5 accepted levels of “Self-Driving”:
1. Drver Assistance
2. Partial Automation
3. Conditional Automation
4. High Automation
5. Full Automation
Level 3 is acceptable by me, level 4 is what most car companies aim for. I’d be perfectly happy to sign up today for a AI car that has sensors rack, that only allow self driving on a learned and mapped route, on freeways only and when conditions deemed within it’s limits. In other words, only during mapped freeway or having already “been taught” the route.

All the major car makers are predicting Level 3 by 2020./2021.

I believe Tesla had jumped the gun in it’s claims and definitely Uber’s incidence was avoidable. On the other hand, every new leap in transportation has to go through a maturity phase. At one time, flying on airplanes were quite risky. We have to also evaluate self driving car on a comparative basis. I.e. For a large enough sample size and miles, to be statistically significant, do we have more or less accidents than people driven cars. And to me even more important, is the rate on a declining path due to machine learning?
To this end, I think trucking/Amazon/UPS industry will lead the charge.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm itching for a new vehicle and I have been looking at and test driving CUV's like Crosstrek, CX5, Tucson, Rogue, CRV and man what a mess things are right now. So many vehicles across the board still don't have Carplay/Android Auto in 2018, safety & convenience features (like blind spot detection and adaptive cruise) are all over the place, and standard trims of $20-25K vehicles don't even have basics like fog lights.

There are some decent financing offers right now but no killer deals and my local dealers have basically no extra incentives like free oil changes or services to help my decision. Add to that the low resale value of my car ($4-5K) and I'm thinking I may just keep her two more years until we pay off the Pathfinder and hopefully things will be more standardized.
Just signed yesterday for a Crosstrek 2018. Been looking and do researches since January (when the engine problem showed up on my Elantra 2012). Narrowed down to 3, did the driving tests, went to auto Show, and chosed one ☺. Cannot wait to get it!! Hopefully this time will have more luck with this one as Hyundai BIG DECEPTION...

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
My next car will be:
1) mostly self driving
You'll be waiting a looooong time. Full autonomy in any consumable form is still at least 15-20 years away, no matter what the suppliers to the car companies say. Autonomous cars are going to become the new flying car, it'll always be "just a few years away".

·
Registered
257 Posts
That is one emotional laden post.
Is there any fact to back your opinion?
First, did you even read the techemergence article about the definition of full autonomous self driving? That would be Level 5.
NO automaker is trying to achieve that in the next decade! Level 4 is doable and expected in 2 or 3 years.

Meanwhile, Hyundai is spending more than GM and Ford combined on R&D Autonomous vehicles.
Do you like falling behind and cries the world is unfair?

https://www.techemergence.com/self-driving-car-timeline-themselves-top-11-automakers/

Self driving trucks at Level 3.5 are operational today.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/tusimple-autonomous-trucks/

https://www.wired.com/story/embark-self-driving-truck-deliveries/

·
Retired Staff
11,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just signed yesterday for a Crosstrek 2018. Been looking and do researches since January (when the engine problem showed up on my Elantra 2012). Narrowed down to 3, did the driving tests, went to auto Show, and chosed one ☺. Cannot wait to get it!! Hopefully this time will have more luck with this one as Hyundai BIG DECEPTION...
What color? The 18 Crosstrek is definitely my favorite and if I had to buy right now it would be a Crosstrek 2.0 Premium with Eyesight. That is slightly over my current budget though everything else seems like a compromise. My only concern with Crosstrek is that it may be underpowered with a 2.0L engine when Outback and Forester have a 2.5L (and other options).

·
Registered
40 Posts
What color? The 18 Crosstrek is definitely my favorite and if I had to buy right now it would be a Crosstrek 2.0 Premium with Eyesight. That is slightly over my current budget though everything else seems like a compromise. My only concern with Crosstrek is that it may be underpowered with a 2.0L engine when Outback and Forester have a 2.5L (and other options).
Blue Quartz. It takes a little more seconds to get from zero to 100 then the ones in the same category, does not bother me at all... Am not a speed maniac lol.

Impressed by the interior volume, the most spacious in its category and the gas consumption... same as my Elantra before the engine replacement (the consumption right now is up to the sky.. Hyundai tells me is normal for the first 6000km...)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts