Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never owned a nice car before, always hand me downs. I finally got fed up with my crappy car and went and bought an Elantra yesterday. Since I've never owned a nice car, I dont really know how to take care of them beyond getting the oil and filters changed appropriately. How do I keep the paint nice, the engine running well, etc? I'm 25 and should know this stuff but I don't and I need yalls help.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Regular washes with a good automotive wash. I use Meguire's. Not dish detergent or anything. I wax mine twice a year. That should pretty much do it on paint. Depends on how crazy you want to get. I vacuum my car once a week, but I work in a garage and it's right there. Be careful as to which products you use on your dash, as some will attract uv rays and prematurely wear out the material and cause it to crack. Other than that, just follow the maintenance schedule you should of received with your vehicle and you'll be a-ok. Enjoy your new car!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Also, check your air pressures one a week. Even if the light isn't ok. Keeping them properly inflated will increase their life as well as your fuel mileage and peace of mind. The proper air pressure is on a sticker in the jam of your driver front door, as well as in the owners manual. And actually read the owners manual. I work at a Hyundai dealership and I still read the manual when I got my Elantra

·
Registered
259 Posts
I think the following advice goes for any new car.

#1 thing: Crack open that Owner's Manual.

Observe the requirement at the beginning of Chapter 1 of the Elantra Owner's Manual to use gasoline with no more than 10% ethanol, which is pretty standard out there in gas station pumps today. Never try to use E85 , which is 85% alcohol. This may seem insultingly basic, but we've actually had the subject of appropriate fuel come up on this board before. The minimum octane rating is 87, which like 10% ethanol in the gas blend, is pretty standard. Higher octane is fine. You'll notice that the manual recommends use of https://www.toptiergas.com "top tier" gasoline, which is basically any major brand you've heard of. If you can't use top tier brands (listed at the site above) regularly for some reason dump a bottle of Techron fuel system cleaner in your gas tank, approximately every oil change. Now skip over the first two thirds of the manual to find the Schedule Of Service.

The Owner's Manual has a schedule of service. It's a list of things to be inspected for wear or replaced according to accumulated mileage and/or time. Check off those service items at the dealership service dept. or a competent mechanic shop as the mileage/time intervals come due.

Wash it and wax it and keep it in a garage if possible. Keeping it waxed a few times a year will help preserve the paint against junk like tree sap, bird crap, bug splat -- that wants to bond with it and eat into the finish.

Get the oil changed on time, every time. Clearly you already know how important this is since you mentioned it. I'd just add one thing: make sure the oil was filled correctly if you aren't changing it yourself. The correct procedure for checking oil level with the dipstick is detailed in the manual. It's easy to do, and an important skill to make into a habit, especially as your car matures. Underfilled oil is disastrous as everybody can easily understand, but overfilled is also bad for the engine. If there is a problem with the oil fill at a regular shop or service dept, it's most likely going to be a case of too much oil rather than too little. If that ever happens, look into how to siphon small amounts out through the dipstick tube with a fluid transfer pump, or take it back to the dealership/shop who overdid it.

Aside from keeping up with the oil changes and making sure those inspect/replace items in the schedule of service are attended to promptly, you should have no concerns. The Hyundai warranty should have you covered.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I think the following advice goes for any new car.

#1 thing: Crack open that Owner's Manual...
I would add to Lazy H's excellent post:
Check all fluids every week or two. Most importantly oil and coolant, but also visually inspect the brake fluid reservoir. You'll notice there's no power steering fluid, because the power steering is electric, not hydraulic.
Your "crappy cars" may not have had a cabin air filter. Check the owner's manual for how often to replace this.
Try to regularly wipe down the interior surfaces with a soft cloth dampened with a mild cleaning solution. I find myself doing this when I'm stuck in traffic.

Final piece of advice: Post a photo, so we can all see your ride!

Congratulations on your purchase! I got mine last September and I still look forward to driving it every day. Hopefully you will, too.

Reactions: cristovao

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, yall are awesome and I will definitely follow these tips. I would have never thought of things like making sure I used the right kind of wipes to clean my interior. Actually excited to get home and read my manual!

Definitely seems like I need to use a better oil change place in the future. I've never checked oil level after a change so I will make sure to do that everytime.

Here she is:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
First congratulations! I know the feeling. The Elantra was my first new car and by far the nicest vehicle I have owned.

Crack open the Owner's Manual. In mine, in the Introduction section page F9 has has the VEHICLE BREAK IN PROCESS. Follow what it says.

After that change oil when you feel appropriate. Dealership had a $20 oil change special so I did mine early. Some wait and just follow what he manual says. Your call. Determine if you have severe or normal with driving habits. Follow the recommendations of the one that applies.

If you are having someone or dealership change your oil check it after they do it. Check your oil every week or when getting gas. I would avoid chain oil change shops. Independent mechanic or dealership. I prefer on doing it myself. With this car it is very easy to do.

I do not check tire pressure weekly, but when washing car or when seasons change. With heat pressure increases. Cold decreases. Plan accordingly.

Drive defensively. Be alert. Reduce distractions. With my Elantra it took a while to get used to all the features. I accidentally put it in low gear in shopping mall and found it is a feature of the transmission. Reading the manual would have helped understand that.

If someone recommends something that does not sound right verify info. This forum is a good resource. Several owner's had bad advice/recommendations/information regarding the appropriate oil for their car. The R in your owner's manual is what Hyundai requires for warranty. It is minimal unlike some dealership recommendations I have seen.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Definitely seems like I need to use a better oil change place in the future. I've never checked oil level after a change so I will make sure to do that everytime.
You got lucky.:wink: My niece and friend that went to Jiffy Lube. Not so much. What about the dealership for oil changes if you need a better oil change place?

That is a black beauty. You will be kept busy keeping her purty. :grin2:

DO NOT PARK UNDER TREES DURING BIRD SEASON. :surprise:

·
Registered
980 Posts
...I need to use a better oil change place in the future. I've never checked oil level after a change so I will make sure to do that everytime...
Beautiful! (of course, I'm biased.)

The best oil change place is your driveway or garage. Do it yourself! The simple act of changing your own oil makes you much more knowledgeable about your vehicle.
Don't let those yahoos at the Quick Lube place change your oil with a cheap filter, and try to sell you expensive services you don't need; and don't rely on the dealer for oil changes--they are often not much better.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Since I've never owned a nice car, I dont really know how to take care of them beyond getting the oil and filters changed appropriately.
A simple and inexpensive thing you can do is use a windshield sun shade. It will protect the dash from UV and keep the car noticeably cooler in warm weather too.

I also got my windows tinted which keeps the car cooler and cuts the glare.

·
Registered
613 Posts
For mechanical maintenance items, I do tire rotations and oil changes every 5,000. The reason for this is because my driving conditions do meet some [but not all, or even the majority of] conditions the manual considers to be "Severe." Specifically: E (Driving in sandy areas), G (driving on uphill, downhill, or mountain road), and the temperature part of F (Driving in heavy traffic area over 90°F (32°C)). I'm pretty rarely stuck in traffic, fortunately.

One bit of advice:

Lazy H said:
Never try to use E85 , which is 85% alcohol. This may seem insultingly basic, but we've actually had the subject of appropriate fuel come up on this board before.
E85 isn't the same as 85 octane gasoline, so, don't use it. It's made for Flex Fuel-capable vehicles and it's made with 51-85% ethanol (in the US), which the Elantra isn't capable of burning. https://www.afdc.energy.gov/fuels/ethanol_e85.html

There's already some great mechanical maintenance advice in this thread, so, I'll cover the advice about keeping it shiny. :)

Not sure which part of the world you're in, but try to always park covered, and keep it garaged at home. I live in arguably the sunniest, driest part of the US, and you can tell which cars are parked outside and which ones aren't (yellowing, cloudy headlights, fading paint, etc).

I keep mine shiny and clean on the cheap :) I wash it once a week. I went over to Big Lots and picked up a bundle of microfiber towels for $3. For the exterior, I use RainX exterior wash (it does actually rain here sometimes). It's something you can pick up at Walmart, Target, etc.

As far as the windows, if you have window tint, do not, under any circumstances, use regular Windex on them. This will cause them to turn purple (I believe it's the ammonia in it, but I'm not sure). I use RainX window cleaner because it's safe on window tint.

I keep mine vacuumed, too. It's a small car, so, vacuuming it only takes a matter of a few minutes, especially since I do it regularly. I'd also recommend getting all-season mats. I'm going to pick up a pair just because they're so much easier to clean.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I've never owned a nice car before, always hand me downs. I finally got fed up with my crappy car and went and bought an Elantra yesterday. Since I've never owned a nice car, I dont really know how to take care of them beyond getting the oil and filters changed appropriately. How do I keep the paint nice, the engine running well, etc? I'm 25 and should know this stuff but I don't and I need yalls help.
Very simple: read the manual and don't have children.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Don't eat in the car and don't allow children to eat in the car (or play with slime, playdoh, spit bubbles, regular bubbles, sodas, water---on second thought, just don't allow children in the car...) and follow the great advice in this thread.

It looks like you are in an apartment complex, so you probably can't change your oil there. I can't do it in my complex, which was a bummer for me coming from a house where I changed my oil on all my vehicles.....

It's a great looking vehicle and you're going to love it!

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you live in the North, get yourself some "spray rubber" and have at that under carriage. This provides 2 benefits if done correctly...
1. more resistent to rust
2. adds to softening the road noise.

·
Registered
980 Posts
...and if not done correctly, it clogs up drain holes and seals in water to encourage rust. And it's almost never done correctly. So I personally would pass on that, even if I did live in the North.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Congrats on the new car! I would put a coat of wax on your car as soon as possible. Not sure of your climate but its really important in both hot and cold climates but for different reasons. I would wax it AT LEAST twice a year, anything more than 4 times a year is a bit excessive. The wax will protect from the sun and other elements and from all the de-icing chemicals on roads in the north in the winter. If you have never waxed your car, don't be afraid of it. It can be as simple or as detailed and complex as you want, but even a simple coat can make an amazing difference. put some on a microfiber cloth and begin coating, let dry to a white haze, then wipe off with some more microfiber towels. don't overuse the same towel as you wipe off, change towels frequently.

Also occasionally wipe your dash with a UV protectant. Chemical Guys have lots of great products on Amazon.

Enjoy!

·
22,793 Posts
Thanks guys, yall are awesome and I will definitely follow these tips. I would have never thought of things like making sure I used the right kind of wipes to clean my interior. Actually excited to get home and read my manual!

Here she is:
I remember my first Elantra in 2011. Man I was proud of that thing. I stayed up for 3 hours that night I bought her...reading the manual. Pampered her, hand washed, waxed, kept her vacuumed, monitored tire air and fluids. All discussed earlier. I added an entirely new level “above” the term OCD! And when I traded her for my 2013 she looked just as factory fresh as the day she was born.

I got into that habit on Day 1. Its stayed with me thru 2 new Elantra’s. And brought a ton of compliments from friends and strangers.

Reactions: NDSE
1 - 18 of 18 Posts