Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I don't own an Elantra. I have a friend that does (a 2012 Hyundai Elantra Limited). His state inspection was due today, and he asked me to make sure the basics were covered. His tail light was out, his rear deck brake light was out (the inspection place actually fixed this, I didn't notice it on my own), and one of his high beams were out. I fixed the tail light (whyyyyy do they make you unbolt the actual tail light just to change a bulb? SMH).

His passenger side high beam was out, so I went to the store and grabbed a new H1 bulb. I put it in, and it still didn't work. In fact, the old bulb still looked like it was in good condition. Last year I replaced the driver side high beam and I had to jiggle it to get it to work, but it did work eventually. The passenger side wasn't working at all even with jiggling everything.

I googled for a couple of hours trying to get tips but no help. There's no specific fuse for the headlights in the fuse box, and not in the dash fuse box either. I checked all the fuses anyways and they were all fine. It couldn't be the relay because one of the lights was working. So what the heck was it?

The Answer is: The two prongs that bend outward on the bulb socket.

The light was already not working before I even touched it, but I could see this scenario happening. Most bulbs just pull out of the sockets. The Elantra has a button that you have to press or it won't release. At first I was prying at the prongs hoping to get the bulb to release, but it never did because you have to press that button. These prongs need to be touching the bulb in order for the high beam to work, and if you're fiddling trying to get the bulb out not knowing about the button, you could bend them to the point where they're not touching anymore. So you have to bend them back to fit tightly against the bulb body.

So after bending them back in, the high beam started working perfectly again. It took me over 2 hours to figure this out. Had I read this on some random forum on the internet, it could have saved me a lot of time.

I took a screenshot from someone's video to show you the prongs I'm talking about.

Pardon if this is common information, but I'm hoping that this info will hit a google search one day to help a person like me this morning out.

P.S. Don't flame, but it's much easier to replaced the bulb if you remove detach the wiring harness first, then unhook the metal clip looking thingy, then pull out the bare bulb by itself. I saw a video on youtube where the guy actually took the whole headlight out, which is completely unnecessary, then he tried to put the bulb back in with the harness still on, and in my experience today, the clip thingy gets in the way.

So yeah, I hope this helps some people out. Most of the responses I read with this problem on Hyundai forums, people were swapping out stuff from one side to the other, or it just miraculously started working again.

Attachments

·
Registered
Drives : Nissan NV200 Flies : Rans S6ES
15,324 Posts
Thanks for taking the time to sign up and share your experience. I'm sure the next guy to have this problem will appreciate it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts