Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This happened about 2 months ago. My car is 2014 SantaFe Sport 2.0T.

I was on my way for the two-day fishing trip and halfway there, 80 miles from my home, flashing check engine light and limp mode. I pulled on the side and sure enough, knocking sound under the hood.

The car was towed back to Hyundai service here in the suburb Dallas TX. After a couple days they let me know my engine will be replaced, no question asked. I kept all the maintenance records anyway.

The one bad side of it, I did not get a comparable loaner. Hyundai would have paid only $30 (Hyundai brand only) per day and there was no way I could get a SantaFe size car from Enterprise for that kind of money. There wasn’t a loaner available directly from the dealership, the Covid 19 reasons.
TBH, I did not care. The 2020 Elantra served the purpose for my needs.

I got the car after two weeks. The service adviser told me, after my question what was replaced there, “it’s a brand-new engine”. He even pointed out the turbo is new. I didn’t think so. The head, block and oil pan looked new. The rest… alternator, intake, belts, pulleys, hoses, turbo etc. looked old.

The car had 122K miles when this happened. I don’t know if this is the reason the knocking happened, approximately 2 to 3 miles before the engine went in the limp mode, I was overpassing a semi-truck on the two way stretch road. I “punched” it and after I hit 90 mph slowed down to the speed limit and the light was blinking. I guess I pushed it too hard.

I already submitted for the reimbursement (HyundaiThetaEngineSettlement.com) for the rest of my expenses regarding this, the car loaner for a day and part of the towing cost.

Besides all this happens away from my home and on my way to planned vacation, I was really surprised how the entire process was smooth and relatively quick.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My 2013 SFS is nearing 120K miles and I am sort of dreading when this happens.

I got the recall knock sensor installed when I last went to the dealership a year ago. How does it work? Does it just show the Check Engine light?

·
Registered
947 Posts
If the turbo wasn't replaced that would be a bit concerning in IMHO. Not sure if that is part of the engine replacement deal or not, but at the very least the old turbo should have been checked to make sure it wasn't damaged by any potential contaminants released into the oil when the engine let go.

The other items such as the alternators, pulleys, belts, hoses aren't part of the engine replacement coverage. That being said you'd think the dealer would have discussed replacing the belt and hoses with you while the engine was out.

The shop I used to work for would work that kind of stuff into the engine replacement quote because why not offer the customer new belts, hoses, etc.?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

I got the recall knock sensor installed when I last went to the dealership a year ago. How does it work? Does it just show the Check Engine light?
Yes, the check engine light was flashing. The engine was in the limp mode. I believe the knock sensor recall is supposed to do that. Besides the flashing light, the engine will not go over 2000RPM.

·
Registered
254 Posts

Happened on both our cars...You'll know when the engine dies, believe me. You'll have loss of power, CEL blinking and when my 2.4L went it sounded like a bad muffler. My 2.0T just failed and I had a loss of power and blinking CEL. No oil burn, no warning---nothing, just failed. Both engines were replaced painlessly----I got two nice loaners from our dealer.
If you're local, which both of our failures were, then it's not a problem. If you're in the middle of no where, then it becomes a problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts