Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there folks! I was thinking about getting either a 2002 or a 2004 Sonata. What should I look for? Are there any differences between the years annnnnnnnd.... what do the dash lights look like at night? Ive had a hard time to find a video or photos of what they look like.

Thanks! :)

·
SENIOR MODERATOR
9,284 Posts
:00000732:

I've moved your topic to the appropriate Sonata forum for better exposure.

·
Registered
242 Posts
These years are pretty similar, so would buy based on mechanical condition. Other things equal, I would buy manual over auto transmission on that vintage vehicle if have the choice.
Look closely for body and structural rusting as in salty road climate areas a lot of serious rust has been reported.
For ease of DIY maintenance a 4 cyl engine may be better choice.
Try hard to verify previous maintenance records, as if in doubt you will need to do the timing belt service to be safe. Hyundai uses a fairly short 60,000 mile TB service cycle.
Hyundai seems to have average service record, and sells at lower price than the more dependable Toyota for this reason. So far I am not dissatisfied with either used Hyundai I own, but must say I have been better satisfied in past with Toyota and Mazda purchased new.
Take your time - don't be rushed, and buy carefully. There are a fair number of those models available with around 100,000 miles so you don't have to accept 180,000 (say) miles to keep price down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts