Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 4 year lease ended on my 2015 Azera and the replacement vehicle is........

a 2019 Kia Cadenza Limited.

I really wish Hyundai had brought the new Azera version to the US. Hopefully in 3 years when my next lease ends it will be here but for now Kia had the options, vehicle size and most importantly price. I'm enjoying the Heads up Display, Smart Cruise, Auto Braking and Power trunk lid but I miss my illuminated door sill plates, folding rear seats, cooled glove box, and extra wide trunk. My golf umbrella no longer fits between the trunk hinges. I also find the analog clock they put in the Cadenza Limited totally useless because the hands cannot be seen in daylight. My first warranty repair will be the Navigation screen. It stays black with the touch functions operational at times.

Overall I'm happy with the new car but it's the only non Hyundai vehicle in the driveway out of 4 cars. My son just purchased a perfect 2016 CPO Genesis Coupe 3.8L with under 13K miles. I finally get to drive a rocket ship again. We had a 2013 Coupe 3.8L which I regret getting rid off now.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Congrats on the Kia Cadenza. Never heard of it and had to look it up. Seems like a very nice car and I wish you luck with it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just called Jerry Flannery and he said there will be a cold day in **** before they bring back Azera to US.
He also suggested to look at Genie G80.
I'm jk-ing... or maybe not...

·
Registered
21 Posts
I just called Jerry Flannery and he said there will be a cold day in **** before they bring back Azera to US.
He also suggested to look at Genie G80.
I'm jk-ing... or maybe not...

·
Registered
3,650 Posts

I really wish Hyundai had brought the new Azera version to the US. Hopefully in 3 years when my next lease ends it will be here but for now Kia had the options, vehicle size and most importantly price. I'm enjoying the Heads up Display, Smart Cruise, Auto Braking and Power trunk lid but I miss my illuminated door sill plates, folding rear seats, cooled glove box, and extra wide trunk. My golf umbrella no longer fits between the trunk hinges. I also find the analog clock they put in the Cadenza Limited totally useless because the hands cannot be seen in daylight. My first warranty repair will be the Navigation screen. It stays black with the touch functions operational at times.

Overall I'm happy with the new car but it's the only non Hyundai vehicle in the driveway out of 4 cars. My son just purchased a perfect 2016 CPO Genesis Coupe 3.8L with under 13K miles. I finally get to drive a rocket ship again. We had a 2013 Coupe 3.8L which I regret getting rid off now.
Good luck Jim with the Cadenza. Did you test drive the ES FSport? How do they compare?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts

I really wish Hyundai had brought the new Azera version to the US.

Yeah, the Cadenza is probably the only alternative I'd consider to my Azera should I have to buy a new car right now. What I don't like is the trend of pairing the factory navigation to the panoramic sunroof. That has become the case for many Hyundai, and probably Kia, models. The panoramic sunroof is a deal-breaker for me. Without factory nav, you have to use integration with your smartphone and I don't like the step of plugging in your phone each time you want nav. I tried Android Auto on a rental car recently and was not impressed. I had all my vacation destinations entered into Google Maps as favorites, but they do not transfer over into Android Auto. I just used my phone with an air vent mount instead.

As to the Azera, the only ray of hope is that Hyundai trademarked the Grandeur name in the USA about a year ago. Maybe they have plans to reinstate the Azera as a Grandeur, the name that it is called in Korea.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
Yeah, the Cadenza is probably the only alternative I'd consider to my Azera should I have to buy a new car right now. What I don't like is the trend of pairing the factory navigation to the panoramic sunroof. That has become the case for many Hyundai, and probably Kia, models. The panoramic sunroof is a deal-breaker for me. Without factory nav, you have to use integration with your smartphone and I don't like the step of plugging in your phone each time you want nav. I tried Android Auto on a rental car recently and was not impressed. I had all my vacation destinations entered into Google Maps as favorites, but they do not transfer over into Android Auto. I just used my phone with an air vent mount instead.

As to the Azera, the only ray of hope is that Hyundai trademarked the Grandeur name in the USA about a year ago. Maybe they have plans to reinstate the Azera as a Grandeur, the name that it is called in Korea.
Unlikely given the continuing decline of sedan sales.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Unlikely given the continuing decline of sedan sales.
What I am hoping is that with other manufacturers dropping large sedans from their lineup, the large sedan market will still be large enough to support those that remain, such as is the case for Toyota and a few others. As Genesis becomes even more distanced from Hyundai, there may be enough space to once again have a large FWD car in the Hyundai lineup. The Grandeur is already being sold in other markets, so development costs are already covered. It is more a matter of factory capacity.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Answer-Toyota Avalon. I do wish I had gotten an Azera when i was looking at them. Good luck.
While there is no denying the good reviews the Avalon gets on ride, handling and reliability, there are a few things that keep it low on my list.

1. The additional 3" in length compared to my Azera would make it a bit tight of a fit in my garage where I have cabinetry in front of my parking area.

2. The front grille is just plain ugly. I threw up in my mouth the first time I saw the Avalon grille in pictures. Seeing it in person was even more disgusting. I know styling is subjective, but... really? Who signs off on these things? The remainder of the exterior is okay.

3. My subjective dislike for the Avalon styling extends to the interior. The instrument panel looks like it was designed by a committee that didn't talk with each other. Way too busy with many competing shapes and surfaces. That big sweeping center stack that extends up above the dash looks so out of place.

4. The lack of Android Auto would become an issue should I want to use my Android smartphone. No, I don't see me going to an i-Phone.

But, despite the above comments, I did decide to sit in a 2019 Avalon at the Auto Show last year. Being short, I adjusted the seat up to where I like it and heard a strange rubbing sound as I moved the seat forward. I looked all around to find what was rubbing and found THE HEADREAST RUBBING TIGHTLY AGAINST THE HEADLINER. The headrest was at it's lowest setting, but it still was rubbing against the headliner (in my Azera, with the same settings there are 5 inches above the headrest). Just another example of Toyota design by committee.

So... for me I am hoping that my Azera will live long and prosper. Perhaps in another five years the next generation of cars will bring something more pleasing for me to choose from.

·
Registered
3,650 Posts
I looked at the Avalon before buying my ES FSport but the interior was just awful including the center stack. The ES in and out is impeccable.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for commenting everyone.

I considered the Lexus ES350 but I could not get the model I desired for the Lease payment I needed. I did NOT consider the Avalon solely because of styling. Yuck! The Genesis G80 was high on my list but you can't get a decent lease payment on an Ultimate with 15K miles yearly. The G70 was out because of the useless back seat entry/exit opening. The Cadenza had it all and the dealership made it happen by getting their number to meet my payment requirement.

Three years will go by quickly. Hopefully by then Hyundai will have a big sedan or at least make the Sonata Fluidic 1.0 again. LOL. I've always been a critic of the newest design.

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
Hopefully by then Hyundai will have a big sedan or at least make the Sonata Fluidic 1.0 again. LOL. I've always been a critic of the newest design.
What do you think of the all new design of the 2020 Sonata? The pictures do look good. Early reviewers that have seen it in person say it is stunning.

·
Premium Member
1,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)

·
Registered
47 Posts

Hi Mr. V!... It's been a long time since I've posted here - 2014 Cadenza, musician like yourself, we corresponded a bit back when our cars were new. I hope your Azera has been as reliable as my Cadenza. 110,000 miles and the only defect was a replacement rear door handle at 100,000 miles. Techron every 5K miles (though not sure if it does anything), otherwise it's been totally reliable. How has your Azera held up? Sorry to hear of the death of the line, but I do recommend the Cadenza highly (although, like yourself, I am not a fan of their new pricing structure.) Just FWIW, my sunroof has been trouble free.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jim - Congrats on the Cadenza. FWIW, my 2014 has been totally trouble free for 110,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Congrats on the Kia Cadenza. Never heard of it and had to look it up. Seems like a very nice car and I wish you luck with it.
I had not heard of this car either. Learned a bit here.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts