Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I'm driving to work this morning and its pitch black outside.. I'm on the highway doing about 65 when all of a sudden I see this black thing in the road about 15 yards out it appears to be an inner fender wall.. At this point I have two options.. 1. Swerve into the car next to me doing 65 or 2. Brace for impact.. So within a split second I line my self up to take the best possible hit. I hit it, drag it for a good quarter-half mile.. And I pull over thinking I have a flat or half my bumpers going to be off.. By the time I stop it shoots out and all I have are a couple deep/white scratches underneath the corner of the front bumper.. A scratch or two on the lower air dam valance hanging in the middle of the bumper... I have a small (dime sized) impression on the drivers side skirt..(imagine sticking a thumb print in hot plastic) and I'm think "wow really just that".... Until I look at the wheel well.. It's 3/4 of the way gone and its broken at top and just dangling on the top of my tire.. Obviously I need to replace that but is this one if those.... The dealer will be just about the same money... Types of things? I certainly don't want my goodies behind the wheel well exposed for too long..

Thanks for any help guys

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
This was not your fault and Comprehensive Insurance should cover the damage. Give your insurance company a call before you do anything.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ill get some pics up as soon as I get home from work.. I know for sure it's going to need a new wheel well because the other one literally snapped off.. And ill let you guys tell me what else is missing.. I haven't had a chance to get under the car and look at what's there since I bought it.. So I have no clue what's missing

I've been contemplating hids but I rember hearing hids and projector headlights don't mix well... Anyone have any in car night shots of hids?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Projector headlights and HID's are what work best, Non Projector Headlights are what you really do not want to install HID's in (Blinds on coming traffic) but Projector will give a perfect headlight beam.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Doesn't sound too bad, don't think it would be worth getting the insurance involved. I would check local junk yards or some of the online OEM sellers over the dealer though.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Call your insurance company. There is no deductible on most comprehensive insurance and this incident should not count against you. It could be several hundred dollars to repair and your insurance should make sure its a safe repair. It will be a lot less trouble for you to get fixed this way.

A few years ago I had an incident where a piece of metal was thrown off the highway by a truck and dented the hood, broke the windshield, and etc. My comprehensive insurance covered the entire repair. No deductible. Good Luck.

Bob

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I agree with the sealed beam and projector comment with HID's. Back when I was driving my 08 Malibu I was running 8k and it was BRIGHT! friend told me he could see my car from 3 blocks away.

I have no issues with HID's and they are 300% brighter imho so I would definitely get them. Plus there are tons of aftermarket headlamps that use dual beam lenses on the lights so you get both high and low using the same HID so I would definitely look into that.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
This was not your fault and Comprehensive Insurance should cover the damage. Give your insurance company a call before you do anything.
I had a similar issue with my Impala and a ladder that fell off a truck in front of me. State Farm considered it collision because it happened on the road and not when the car was parked. Luckily the repairs were under their $1350 threshold, so they couldn't tack on a surcharge to my premium for the repairs. Should have heard the silence on their end when I mentioned the threshold to the claims adjuster. :)

·
Banned
1,090 Posts
99 times out of 100, it is not poor lights that get people, it is driving faster than their lights shine. People often drive with high beams on or with aftermarket lights that blind other drivers so they can see an extra ten feet. I drive through tree tunnels, in the pitch black, in heavy deer country, and don't have a problem seeing with the Sonata.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I agree with the sealed beam and projector comment with HID's. Back when I was driving my 08 Malibu I was running 8k and it was BRIGHT! friend told me he could see my car from 3 blocks away.

I have no issues with HID's and they are 300% brighter imho so I would definitely get them. Plus there are tons of aftermarket headlamps that use dual beam lenses on the lights so you get both high and low using the same HID so I would definitely look into that.
I laughed out loud when I read his...8K HID's?? Yeah, those are bright...in bizarro world. I would rather have the stock halogens..

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
okay guys heres an update.. i stopped at hyundai on my ride home from work... i got my self a new wheel well for 100 bucks and they installed it for free.. i told the guy i just bought the car not even two weeks ago and he said hed work with me.. after an hour of working on the car they came out and said "no charge.. good luck with the car." so im pretty happy with that. i think ill end up buffing out what i can as far as scratches.. the deeper ones are under the car and out of plain sight.. it only bothers me because i know its there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
oh BTW... any suggestions on an hid kit? im thinking about a 10k kit.. nothing too too bright.. what kind of kit are you all using?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Could have been worse...I had the tread from a Semi tyre peel off and come across the lane at 70! I did same as you and lucky I was driving my F150 work truck so it didn;t trash the underside any more than it was but I definately need a new pair of BVD's! ;=)

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I laughed out loud when I read his...8K HID's?? Yeah, those are bright...in bizarro world. I would rather have the stock halogens..
Seriously? The Malibu uses H11 and are HUGE, so the reflection on those in the lenses are all over the place making them waaaaay brighter than they should be.

Matty, using 10k may be dimmer than 6-8k but also waaaay too colorful. If I were you I would go with 6k as those are the brightest/clearest and the reason for updating to HID is to be brighter not dimmer right?

·
Premium Member
735 Posts
I recommend 6000k or less ..6000k for looks and function as you go lower they get slightly farther distance and more white/yellow in color.... any higher then 6000k starts to degrade the viewable distance and becomes real blueish
my hids with the stock projector have a great beam pattern its like a flat cut off line ...thats where the stock hi beams take over

whithin a week of having them in my last car I got a set put in the wifes ..they are really much safer...i will never go back ..they were my first mod on my sonata

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay guys 6k it is.. Like I said I haven't really looked into hids in about 7 years so I maybe a little rusty.. I may run down to a buddy's place and pick up a set today.. Thanks for all the feed back

1 - 20 of 24 Posts