Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A year a good I had an outer tire rod problem, I could not get it off and I tired everything, I even tired to bang it off...not good. I missed a few times...so I have an issue.

I tire heading the bolt (5mins) it would not move....

any ideas? Rotors need to be replace....I hae a feeling I have to go to pepboys again....Thanks!

enclosing pictures.... IMG_2703.JPG IMG_2704.JPG IMG_2708.JPG IMG_2709.JPG

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
PB Blaster and a hammer impact tool...or take it to any garage.

·
Registered
281 Posts
It appears from the pics that you were either using a vise grip or an adjustable/open end wrench. I'm not intending to be rude, but if you intend to continue DIY on your vehicles, you need to buy the correct tools and learn how to use them. This bolt now appears to be so messed up that it will probably require hammering on a smaller socket (after perhaps trimming it down), in order to remove it. So I recommend taking it to a shop where they will know how to deal with this mess.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Kiaguy, Yes I do have the correct wrench. 17 mm bolt. as stated in the previous post....I had an issue with a tire rod replacement and possibly banged that area.

on this car, I have replaced the oil, oil pan, inner and outer tired rod, both lower control arms, neutral safety switch, key switch, spark plugs, blemunm gastget.....

in this situation, i have bad luck, yes I have an impact wrench 1/2 inch drive, worried I will snap the bolt! and no I did not use a vice grip or pliers....

thank you

·
Registered
12,672 Posts
I think what he's saying is it was the hammer blows that missed the tie rod during the previous repair that caused the damage to the caliper bolt, not using the incorrect tools.

Anyway, what I think I would do is file off those raised edges where the hammer struck the caliper. Or use your dremel to grind them away if you have one. You'll have a hard time trying to rotate the bolt against those.

·
Registered
52 Posts
How hot did you get the bolt, was it glowing? You said you heated it for 5 minutes but with what? Did you quench it after heating?
What did you try to loosen it with? You said a wrench, what type of wrench? There are spanners and there are spanners; the size is not the only thing to consider.

·
Registered
281 Posts
…. I have an impact wrench 1/2 inch drive, worried I will snap the bolt! and no I did not use a vice grip or pliers....
Sorry but I couldn't understand everything in your OP, and I still am not clear exactly what the situation is. Are you saying you can still get a 17mm socket on that messed up bolt? If so, then why are you concerned that it will break? If your impact tool can't do the job, then use a breaker bar with a pipe extension over it if necessary. Worst case is the bolt is so rusted in place that it snaps and can't be removed, in which case you just buy a new caliper.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Use a lot of heat and PB blaster. Repeat 10 times if you have to. 16" breaker bar will loosing it up. Make sure you turn the wheel to get more room.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You might also consider an impact wrench, assuming there are no rounded edges on the bolt head. My 185 ft-lbs impact wrench took that bolt right off (without an extension)

If that's not an option, I agree with the breaker bar suggestions. A long lever arm should take it right off.

·
Registered
7,581 Posts
Heat it until it glows. Use MAP gas and maybe two torches. The caliper bolts usually have some blue loctite from the factory and the heat will release it.

If you can get a 6 sided socket on that is best. My Gen Coupe on the rear bottom caliper bracket you can only use a 17mm wrench and only swing it one flat at a time. :( So a ratchet wrench works the best. The caliper bolts are usually hardened too (fine thread on a Hyundai)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts