Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Every car I ever saw had at least one so I never even looked. Then the wife slides ours off the driveway . No problem says I as I tell her that I'd get it right out. That's when I start lookin and digging, nothing. Then I start looking for something anywhere front or back to wrap a strap around so I can hook to the tractor, nothing again. Every place either would cause it to rub, rip or tear up a bumper. You can't even wrap the rear axle because it will lift on the exhaust crossover which hangs below slightly. Talk about cheap they even removed the shipping tie down points! I finally discovered circular hole in the center bottom of the rear axle I could manage to set a hook into. All that to find a simple place to tow a car10' up an icy bank in 4" of snow that it could have driven out of if not for being against a hedge.
I sure wouldn't want to have one of these towed out of a ditch . There is no way you could get it out without wrecking wrecking something expensive. I've dragged all sorts of cars and trucks out of mud holes and ditches but this one takes the cake.. Rest assured by Spring it will have tow eyes front and back .

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
404 Posts
Yup, both the Sonata and the Optima have NO frame/body tow hooks or even eye bolts (accessed via a bumper cover) like most cars have. Not sure what they were thinking to be able to tow these cars without damaging them more.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope no knockouts on my bumpers ZIP! Worst part is absolutely nothing accessible under there to hook or wrap , just are Erin get arms and light weight suspension. All the rest is covered by the belly pan. Don't ever get one of these hard stuck in a ditch. The midnight wrecker guy would tear something off I guarantee it

·
Registered
71 Posts
I have a 2013 I will have to look at my bumpers but so far I dont think I see any covers. I would not have found this out till something happened and had to look/use them!!

I will see and if so get some of those eyelets and keep around in case need them installed.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

·
Registered
404 Posts
I seem to remember a "hole" in the middle of the main cradle that connects to the A-arms that might be useful for a hook type of tow attachment. That would ONLY work in some circumstances. I'm not pleased about this either! I would want a tow screw (eye-bolt) access port in both the front and rear bumpers at least or the old fashioned frame tow holes/plates.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
From the back side of the car, get a trailer hitch. If you don't want to use a hitch, locate the trailer hitch mount welded in frame nuts and fabricate and bolt in your own hooks.
On various cars that I've installed hitches on, hooks had to be removed and tossed. So, maybe visit the salvage yard and see if a hook from a non-hitch equipped Hyundai/KIA SUV can be adapted.

Why sell a part that can't be used:
HOOK - TOWING for 2011 Hyundai Sonata. #091471C000

I haven't looked or worried about a tow hook. Its a Hyundai. Simply remove personal belongings from inside the car, remove the license plate, and leave it there. :laughing: :whistling:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I haven't looked or worried about a tow hook. Its a Hyundai. Simply remove personal belongings from inside the car, remove the license plate, and leave it there. :laughing: :whistling:[/QUOTE]

Oh but they aren't that inexpensive though I wish they were. ......actually I like the reliability of mine. I always thought the leave it by the road thing was more for Jeeps. Having had 2 Grand Cherokees I could really tell you some stories about those motorized dumpsters.

·
Registered
404 Posts
FWIW: During my last oil change, I looked to see where one might attach tow hooks. There IS a nice sized hole in each lower A arm which I guess might very well be tough enough to be used to hook the car out of a ditch onto a roll-back or something like it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Every car I ever saw had at least one so I never even looked. Then the wife slides ours off the driveway . No problem says I as I tell her that I'd get it right out. That's when I start lookin and digging, nothing. Then I start looking for something anywhere front or back to wrap a strap around so I can hook to the tractor, nothing again. Every place either would cause it to rub, rip or tear up a bumper. You can't even wrap the rear axle because it will lift on the exhaust crossover which hangs below slightly. Talk about cheap they even removed the shipping tie down points! I finally discovered circular hole in the center bottom of the rear axle I could manage to set a hook into. All that to find a simple place to tow a car10' up an icy bank in 4" of snow that it could have driven out of if not for being against a hedge.
I sure wouldn't want to have one of these towed out of a ditch . There is no way you could get it out without wrecking wrecking something expensive. I've dragged all sorts of cars and trucks out of mud holes and ditches but this one takes the cake.. Rest assured by Spring it will have tow eyes front and back .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Should all these models without a tow hook be recalled. They should install one. What do you tell a tow truck driver. They wouldn't be able to tow the car, if so, the bumper is gone....and who pays for that ??????

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guess what I just got a Toyota Camry SXE 2018 and that has an even worse set up . The Japanese made ones have the small hole in the bumper well the American made ones which represent the majority have nothing at all, not even a slot in the frame. And a top it off it’s even worse off for being Surrounded by fragile plastic. The only solution I see there is two install a trailer hitch. And that’s the simple job either.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
No clue on the Sonata, but on the Elantra, the Korean built models have the tow hook, but not the US built ones. Even the Korean build Tucson have a tow hook..

·
Registered
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's what I use, grab the control arm.

View attachment 443002
I got to get one of those myself but it’s only a partial solution. Without something protruding down below the lowest part of the bumper your strap or cable is just bound to rub or worse if it’s uphill which it usually is.
I can see too where pulling on the control arm if you’re not super super careful could really wreck **** out of things under there. Then what if it hits a tiny hidden snag . You can just imagine what happens when the high school dropout with the wrecker is in a hurry and latches onto the any of these new cars.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts