Hyundai Forums banner

I Bought The 2011 Elantra

7K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  Rafalski 
#1 ·
I purchased a phantom black metallic 2011 Elantra Limited Dec 9. My wife needed a new car. Drove it this morning. Quite a car. I didn't realize some of the features until after I bought it. Like heated rear seats. The bluetooth for the cell phone works very well. Others say it sounds very normal.

iPod touch worked fine with the Hyundai cable.

However I didn't know it does not come with a spare tire. They give you some sealant & an air compressor. I guess with the Hyundai's & my insurance's road service it may work.

Be interesting what others have to say as more get on the road.

I drive a 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited.

Bruce

#2 ·
Funny... we too are contemplating an Elantra as a second car to our Santa Fe.

No spare tire, eh? Now we know how Hyundai really saved those 60 pounds... heh heh. But seriously, it's no big deal. In 25 years of driving I have had many automotive flat tires, all of them a simple puncture in the tread that could be quickly and permanently fixed with a roadside plug kit and an air pump. For safety and convenience and I'll take a permanent plug over a temporary doughnut any day.

#3 ·
Bruce,

Congrats on the car and the excellent color choice. When I was checking our first load of Elantra's in, I thought they were missing their spares. I couldn't believe it when I saw the sealant.

Can I ask why you got rid of the Sonata? My mom has the same car and she and my dad are both thinking about getting 2011 Elantra's come february.

#4 ·
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ Dec 12 2010, 09:18 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379053
Bruce,

Congrats on the car and the excellent color choice. When I was checking our first load of Elantra's in, I thought they were missing their spares. I couldn't believe it when I saw the sealant.

Can I ask why you got rid of the Sonata? My mom has the same car and she and my dad are both thinking about getting 2011 Elantra's come february.

The transmission broke. Not sure what it was but made a lot of noise & didn't want to shift. We had bought it used in 2004 so there was no warranty. We did all the service that is recommended at the dealer. It had 62,000 so it was 2000 miles over & 2 years over. The dealer called Hyundai & they said they would cover $1,000 of the $3,000 to replace it. I thought that was a nice jester on their part. However we left it with them & took the new one.

#5 ·
We are having a problem with my mom's Sonata. It only has 47,700. The transmission acts weird when it's cold and the engine is rough in the sense that you can feel it running when you are sitting in it or have your hands on the wheel. About a year ago I couldn't go faster than 25mph. My mom loves the car and it hasn't cost us a dime other than regular maintanace.

Congrats again on the Elantra.

#7 ·
QUOTE (HyundaiLvr87 @ Dec 12 2010, 01:58 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=379102
We are having a problem with my mom's Sonata. It only has 47,700. The transmission acts weird when it's cold and the engine is rough in the sense that you can feel it running when you are sitting in it or have your hands on the wheel. About a year ago I couldn't go faster than 25mph. My mom loves the car and it hasn't cost us a dime other than regular maintanace.

Congrats again on the Elantra.

Perhaps its her clutch that needs replacement.

#8 ·
I had a blowout when my 2007 Accent was 5 month old. A metal rod that was lying in the road when threw the side wall of my tire on the way to work. That donut spare got me to work, and to a tire store. Also, every time I bring a regular flat to be fixed I am told the punchture can not be fixed.

I am thinking about a new Elantra, but will not buy a car that doesn't have a jack and spare tire. Otherwise I do like the Elantra very much.

#9 ·
QUOTE (BurtK @ Dec 17 2010, 06:26 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=380816
I had a blowout when my 2007 Accent was 5 month old. A metal rod that was lying in the road when threw the side wall of my tire on the way to work. That donut spare got me to work, and to a tire store. Also, every time I bring a regular flat to be fixed I am told the punchture can not be fixed.

I am thinking about a new Elantra, but will not buy a car that doesn't have a jack and spare tire. Otherwise I do like the Elantra very much.
Looking under the trunk mat, it looks like there is room for a donut spare. Guess one could purchase one or tell the dealer to get one or else.
Its been a long time since I had to change a tire on the road. For the first 5 years you have Hyundai road service. Might have to wait for them to show up.
We also have AAA insurance card for road service.

I am not going to worry about it as the wife drives it & calls me when she has a flat.

#10 ·
Hi Bnelsonr,

How do you find the rear suspension being the torsion variety as opposed to independent suspension?

My Beetle has the torsion set up, and my Mini Cooper S used to have independent. From my seat-of-pants feeling, I can't really discern any difference, other than less co-operation in sweeping curves and tight turns.

Love the interior and all the options! Not sure about the American-spec Limiteds, but the cars I saw in my dealer's compound had Continental ContiproContact tires, which I thought were a good choice.

Also, is there a fuel mileage readout in the instrument panel?

Thanks!

#12 ·
QUOTE (bnelsonr @ Dec 11 2010, 06:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=378922
They give you some sealant & an air compressor. I guess with the Hyundai's & my insurance's road service it may work.
Interesting. I read many TPMSs (Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems) recommend NOT to use sealant to repair a damaged tire. It might damaged the TPMS sensor. I am surprised Hyundai provides the sealant. May be the TPMS system on the Elantra is different. I read the Elantra has the TPMS, right?
:p

#13 ·
QUOTE (hancydan @ Dec 21 2010, 08:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382255
Interesting. I read many TPMSs (Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems) recommend NOT to use sealant to repair a damaged tire. It might damaged the TPMS sensor. I am surprised Hyundai provides the sealant. May be the TPMS system on the Elantra is different. I read the Elantra has the TPMS, right?
:p
Yes, the Elantra Limited has the TPMS. Not sure on the GLS.
I have read not to use sealant with TPMS. Hope Hyundai accounted for it if it is a problem.

#14 ·
QUOTE (bnelsonr @ Dec 23 2010, 05:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382947
Yes, the Elantra Limited has the TPMS. Not sure on the GLS.
I have read not to use sealant with TPMS. Hope Hyundai accounted for it if it is a problem.
TPMS is standard on all models of the Elantra

When a tire in our Altima had a flat I used tire sealant, I told them that when I took it in, they just took the tire off and cleaned it up and then fixed the puncture and put it back on the car.

I thought somewhere I read no spare in the car was optional or weight saving or both, IDK.

#15 ·
I have also just purchased a 2011 Elantra a couple of weeks ago and just yesterday noticed there is no spare tire, I was a bit confused untill reading the manual, it does say some may be equipped with spare and some with the tire kit. I was wondering what the heck it was. I did buy the GLS version, with automatic transmission and the bluetooth, etc package. If you read the manual about the tire kit it does say that by applying this kit the tire pressure sensor might not work properly so its a chance I guess you have to take.
I do however have a question regarding the carpeted mats in the car. Mine came with carpeted floor mats but I did not get one in the trunk, it just have some kind of a sheet thats half fibers that are molded into the shape and softer/floppy on the front edge that cover the spare tire space. Has anyone else have the same finish or does yours come with a regular carpeted mat in the trunk ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.