Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I registered here this spring and have been posting for a while, but was never actually an owner, but that all changed last night.

I finally settled on a dealership I wanted to buy the car from. It was actually the second lowest price I was quoted, but the dealership is 20 minutes from my house (as opposed to a couple hours away), the saleswoman was extremely nice, AND they had the car actually on the lot. Its amazing how many dealers want to sell you a car they dont actually have, yet they want a deposit to transfer it for you.

I got an SE with Sunroof/Nav, the Homelink mirror, floormats, cargo net, and iPod cable including destination for $23,994. I had no trade-in and I did my own financing, so I think the dealer made very little money off this. I live in near Chicago, so cost of living in this area is higher than other areas of the country, so I couldnt touch some of the awesome dealers Ive read about on this forum, but based on other people in my area, I am very happy with the price I paid.

I made sure to get a car made after September. My VIN sequence number is actually really easy to remember, its 188882! :) I will have to admit though, the "new" horn still sounds awfully weak! :eek: I cant imagine what the original version sounded like!!!! :)

I used zag.com to get my quotes from the 3 dealers I was considering. I used Capital One to finance myself ahead of time. From the moment I walked into the dealer, including a short test drive, talking to the "rustproofing/paint protection/extended warranty" guy (of which I got nothing), and then the paperwork, I was in and out the door in a little over 2 hours.

So far, I've already ordered WeatherTech floor liners for the front (they dont have a rear set available yet), LED doorsills, silicone keyfob covers, and the LED interior light kit all from Shark Racing. I plan on doing more mods, but probably not til spring cause its getting to be too darn cold outside.

I dont have any high-res pictures yet, but here are a couple pictures of my actual car before the dealer prep was completed. When I get a chance, I will take some "wallpaper-worthy" pictures with my SLR.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
Good luck with the new ride.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys! I already love the car (this isnt a surprise since I had already test driven a couple and knew I would like it), but here are my initial impressions after 25 miles! :)

1. I love the way it handles. I read so many conflicting reports that the SE is "harsh", but I disagree. I love sporty handling cars, and am used to driving a Trans Am with rock hard suspension. If you are used to Buicks and boats, you probably wouldnt like this, but if you know what a firm riding sporty car should feel like, you will not be disappointed.

2. I have noticed no pull, or any other type of strange steering anomalies.

3. The sound of the doors produces no rattles. I realize that this is something that will most likely change, but for those of you forum veterans out there, you've no doubt seen all the posts about people complaining about the sound of the doors closing.

4. I already said above that the "new" horn still sounds weak. I'm not saying its something I am going to run out immediately to replace, but I'll probably do it somewhere down the line.

5. I'll have to get used to the stereo. The first time I heard it, I was a little disappointed, but it might take some finagling of the settings. FM radio sounds very "echo-y" to me. I have been borrowing my grandma's 1996 Saturn, so I was used to the radio in that, so maybe my ears are just messed up! :) I havent yet tried it with an MP3 player.

6. I feel the seating position/height is good for me. Again, only 25 miles, so my opinions may differ after a long road trip, but I doubt it. This is one of those things that I read so many complaints about, and just thought I would throw it out there that my initial impression was that the seats were comfortable. My girlfriend also did not feel that the passenger seat was too low (like others have reported).

As a matter of fact, I dont think I ever realized that this car has power lumbar support. Maybe I am just forgetful, but I was pleasantly surprised to see that the car has this! :)

I love the size of the trunk. I know I glanced at it at the auto show, and Ive seen pictures online, but you dont really get a feel for how big it is until you stick your head in there. My girlfriend was impressed too.

Anyway, sorry for the long post(s) - I am sure there will be more, Im just so excited! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Try with Ipod (turn on the bass boost in your Ipod settings for a little more thump). I use the "dynamic" setting on the stereo as it centers the sound a little more. have fun.

5. I'll have to get used to the stereo. The first time I heard it, I was a little disappointed, but it might take some finagling of the settings. FM radio sounds very "echo-y" to me. I have been borrowing my grandma's 1996 Saturn, so I was used to the radio in that, so maybe my ears are just messed up! :) I havent yet tried it with an MP3 player.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Great choice! It's the twin to mine except for the nav and sunroof. I know how you feel about the handling and ride. I really look forward to driving the SE.
I've had mine since February and after 8,000 miles, mostly on PA's rather rough side roads, it's still tight as a drum - no rattles or other problems.
Enjoy your new ride. :thumbsup:

Don

·
Registered
148 Posts
Congrats! Great choice on color and options :)

In regards to the stereo, it took me some time to get the settings where I like them. Obviously, it depends on what you like to listen to, but I also (as flipjippy said) use the Dynamic setting and that seems the best for what I typically listen to (rock).

Enjoy the new ride!!!

·
Registered
854 Posts
Mike congrats! You def do your homework well! Good luck with your new toy!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Congratulations Mike: You will love it, and wait until you get those WeatherTech floor liners, they fit like a glove and now that we have been dumped on here in Northern Ontario I am sure glad I opted to buy those floor liners over the factory mats.

·
Registered
675 Posts
WOW, after months of posting in a sonata forum and never actually owning one you finally pulled the trigger. Love the color and good luck. Congrats. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
603 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
QUOTE (ToddC @ Dec 3 2010, 12:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376682
Congrats! Great choice on color and options :)

In regards to the stereo, it took me some time to get the settings where I like them. Obviously, it depends on what you like to listen to, but I also (as flipjippy said) use the Dynamic setting and that seems the best for what I typically listen to (rock).

Enjoy the new ride!!!
I will definitely try it. I remember reading posts here where people said over the air radio isnt the best, but it improves with MP3s and CDs. I havent had the time to try either (blame it on working two jobs!).

QUOTE (eyecue @ Dec 3 2010, 12:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376687
Mike congrats! You def do your homework well! Good luck with your new toy!
I give a lot of the credit to you guys. :) This forum is how I discovered zag.com. I have since told MANY people about it, and no one has ever heard of it before and I just cant believe its not more well known!!!

QUOTE (ONNFIRE @ Dec 3 2010, 01:16 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=376694
Congratulations Mike: You will love it, and wait until you get those WeatherTech floor liners, they fit like a glove and now that we have been dumped on here in Northern Ontario I am sure glad I opted to buy those floor liners over the factory mats.
Yes, I have always heard really good things about their products. Theyre a little more expensive, but if they do the job well, it will be worth it. Plus, I saw pictures of the actual Hyundai all-weather mats and I did not like the look at all.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, I ordered some 4500K HIDs as well! :)

·
Registered
486 Posts

Mr. Eckman....Update your Member info... drives SE Sonata......Weclome........Always like to see another happy owner.

·
1,914 Posts
Mike,

Congrats on finally purchasing! Venetian Red is definitely my choice of color for the SE. It seems like you got an excellent price too.

I hope you enjoy the car and your thoughts are always valued on here so I look forward to even more input since you own one.

:beer:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts