Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally posted, last week, how I took my 16’ HSH into the dealership for a couple engine noises. They confirmed one of the noises while I was there but didn’t hear the other. I eventually left the car and continued to receive daily updates. My tech advisor confirmed he and the technicians heard both noises by Friday May 25 and had called in Techline (Hyundai’s “elite” technicians per the dealership).

Today I received a call from my service advisor informing me to pick up the car because techline and the other technicians couldn’t “replicate” the noises they heard the previous week and so no repairs could be made. When I arrived to the dealership, I told the service advisor that I am upset and wanted them to look closer at the car and I wasn’t driving it off the lot until the lead technician came out and did a test drive with me because I can hear the engine noises clearly every. Single. Day.

I finally get the lead tech to go on a test drive. Most of the drive was him telling me that I was mistaken about the engine noises for normal noises that cars make (remember, my service advisor told me, not a few days ago that Techline and several technicians actually heard the noises and labeled them “abnormal noises”). Halfway through the test drive one of the engine noises begin, interrupting the lead techs diatribe about how I’m a dumb consumer and can’t tell the difference between normal noises and abnormal noises.

Upon arriving back at the dealership, the lead tech admits to there actually being something wrong with the engine and thinks that the engine is pinging. The noise is described as a metallic crunching/rattling. My service advisor then tells me to contact Hyundai and get authorization for them to dig further into the problem. I then left the dealership in another loaner

I just finished speaking to Hyundai and my issue was escalated to a regional office. I informed them of my last few days with the dealership and also informed them of my multiple trips to the dealership for the same problem over the span of the last year and that I had recorded the engine noise AND sent the recordings to the service manager.

This whole process has been surreal. I’m livid that it has gotten to the point that I had to force the technicians to hear the noises I am hearing from the car. I’m upset that first they say they can hear the noises and all of a sudden they can’t. I don’t understand why they are doing this. Anyways, I’ll post an update as soon as I have one.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
In my past experience...they are trying to wear you out and over-load you, so you give-up. Persist, you are doing what you need to do...and you are giving them good feed-back, and throwing their original words back at them.
My recent Hyundai dealership experience, the SR did all the talking and submitting evidence to get approval...so I don't know why they are having you do that?
Best to you in resolving this!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
In my past experience...they are trying to wear you out and over-load you, so you give-up. Persist, you are doing what you need to do...and you are giving them good feed-back, and throwing their original words back at them.
My recent Hyundai dealership experience, the SR did all the talking and submitting evidence to get approval...so I don't know why they are having you do that?
Best to you in resolving this!
And the bizarre thing about it is that my service advisor said the I needed to get the ball rolling if I wanted anything to escalate. After I hung up with Hyundai customer service I called the service advisor back with the case number and he told me he will now deal with them and “take over” so I don’t have to be stuck in the middle. Yea I don’t think so. I don’t trust these clowns anymore to do what’s in my best interests. I’ve been shoved off a few times too many to continue trusting them.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
This thing have a 2.0 GDI in it ??

We starting to see rod knock in them things.... Long block,, who knows if the replacement any better or notmm and it is a big PIA to replace,, warranty dont pay enough for what it really take to replace...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This thing have a 2.0 GDI in it ??

We starting to see rod knock in them things.... Long block,, who knows if the replacement any better or notmm and it is a big PIA to replace,, warranty dont pay enough for what it really take to replace...
I believe that is the engine type. So are you saying you don’t think Hyundai will replace the actual components because it’s too expensive? Where does that leave me then? I’m guessing if that were the case, I could always go the lemon law route.

·
Registered
2007 Honda CRV
4,597 Posts
Why was it not escalated to the point of lemon law??
Return the car and get back your money??

The dealership seems to know about the problem
But they don't want to fix it
Cause it would probably cost them more than warranty pays for

Good luck

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Why was it not escalated to the point of lemon law??
Return the car and get back your money??

The dealership seems to know about the problem
But they don't want to fix it
Cause it would probably cost them more than warranty pays for

Good luck
How would I even go about doing that though? I can’t just demand they take back the car. They would laugh at me and ignore me. Would I need to file a law suit first?

·
Registered
13,373 Posts
How would I even go about doing that though? I can’t just demand they take back the car. They would laugh at me and ignore me. Would I need to file a law suit first?

Uh...where are you?! After so many trips to the dealer (3 for most lemon laws) or so many days at the dealer (which, in Mass, you have exceeded) and you can file a lemon law complaint. Mass and Calif have the most generous.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Uh...where are you?! After so many trips to the dealer (3 for most lemon laws) or so many days at the dealer (which, in Mass, you have exceeded) and you can file a lemon law complaint. Mass and Calif have the most generous.
I’m in Arizona. As of today, my car has been at the dealership for one week.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
Here's some info on Arizona Lemon Law:
New Cars
New cars are covered by the Arizona lemon law for whichever of the following comes first:

2 years.
24,000 miles.
The end of the manufacturer's warranty.
If your car is defective, you'll need to report it to the manufacturer or an authorized dealer.

Used Cars
Under the Arizona lemon law, your used car is covered for the first 15 days or 500 miles after your purchase, whichever comes first.

If your car breaks during this period, you'll need to contact the manufacturer or an authorized dealer. You may be required to pay up to $25 for the first 2 repairs required.

Vehicle Manufacturer Responsibilities
Under the Motor Vehicle Warranties Law, the dealer from which you purchased your defective vehicle is allowed a "reasonable number of attempts" to bring your car to the standards defined by the express warranty; 4 attempts to repair or a combined 30 days in the shop qualify as "reasonable."

If after that number of repairs or amount of time the defect has not been corrected, you are entitled to a vehicle replacement or a refund of the purchase price (minus a fair amount for the time the automobile was used successfully).

Full article: https://www.dmv.org/az-arizona/automotive-law/lemon-law.php

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's some info on Arizona Lemon Law:
New Cars
New cars are covered by the Arizona lemon law for whichever of the following comes first:

2 years.
24,000 miles.
The end of the manufacturer's warranty.
If your car is defective, you'll need to report it to the manufacturer or an authorized dealer.

Used Cars
Under the Arizona lemon law, your used car is covered for the first 15 days or 500 miles after your purchase, whichever comes first.

If your car breaks during this period, you'll need to contact the manufacturer or an authorized dealer. You may be required to pay up to $25 for the first 2 repairs required.

Vehicle Manufacturer Responsibilities
Under the Motor Vehicle Warranties Law, the dealer from which you purchased your defective vehicle is allowed a "reasonable number of attempts" to bring your car to the standards defined by the express warranty; 4 attempts to repair or a combined 30 days in the shop qualify as "reasonable."

If after that number of repairs or amount of time the defect has not been corrected, you are entitled to a vehicle replacement or a refund of the purchase price (minus a fair amount for the time the automobile was used successfully).

Full article: https://www.dmv.org/az-arizona/automotive-law/lemon-law.php
Shoot! So my car is nearly two years old, in fact will be two in June. BUT also just hit 28k miles, however, I purchased the car with it already having 2,500 miles on it (it was a dealership driven).

So it looks like I’m SOL on claiming lemon law then?

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
You would probably want to check with a lemon law lawyer right away to see what they think

·
Registered
545 Posts
Ok will do. Thanks!
So you've done the most important thing(s) which are bringing it in and going back/forth some, and getting a case number and documenting the issue. You don't seem to qualify for any lemon yet based on information so far. However, even if something fails years and miles down the road and is attributable to what you've documented here then you will be reimbursed all the way back to this date/time/miles, etc. The vehicle is still under warranty right? Can you take it to another dealer possibly who may be more willing to do the work needed to find/fix the root cause?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok will do. Thanks!
So you've done the most important thing(s) which are bringing it in and going back/forth some, and getting a case number and documenting the issue. You don't seem to qualify for any lemon yet based on information so far. However, even if something fails years and miles down the road and is attributable to what you've documented here then you will be reimbursed all the way back to this date/time/miles, etc. The vehicle is still under warranty right? Can you take it to another dealer possibly who may be more willing to do the work needed to find/fix the root cause?
If I get my car back soon and the work isn’t completed, I’ll take it to the next closest dealership. And yes, still under warranty.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just wanted to post an update. I got Hyundai corporate involved. They flew in a field engineer and another diagnostic team to further look into my car. They are currently disassembling my car and adding components from an identical hybrid to find the issue (this is what the corporate rep told me yesterday). My car will be in the shop going on 3 weeks soon and I’m told they aren’t any closer to finding the problem. They acknowledge that there is a problem, but they can’t find it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts