Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife has a 2010 Santa Fe Limited & I have a 2010 Mercedes E-Class.

Obviously I paid lots more for my car but when I sell it down the road I will also get a lot more.

Hyundai gets some good reviews from media when they do their test drives with new vehicles, but what they are not looking at is that same vehicle after 50,000KM. Our Santa Fe seems loose and cheap with things breaking and falling apart.

They have been fairly minor, but always something, while my Merc has had zero issues and still looks and drive as good as when I bought it. Problem is most of my issues are declared not under my extended or original warranty as they keep saying they only cover adjustment items and not fixing things like broken tracks on my sunroof, seats ripping, under plastic trim on both sides.

I am not sure why people even complain about Hyundai, knowing they are much cheaper than a comparable manufacturer.

The best analogy I use when describing our SUV is it a disposable lighter, it works OK at the beginning and after a while you throw it in the garbage and buy a new one because the re-sale value is also useless.

I suggest you buy Japanese, or even some very good product coming out of N. America, but the Koreans still have a long way to go, to get their vehicles long term quality to every other manufacturers stands.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
From where I sit, Hyundai/Kia are up with mainstream brands like Ford and GM, although not even close to premium brands. They've been moving up while some others are struggling to stand still. That's based on Korean and European production, not North American output.

Even Mercedes-Benz went through a bad patch a decade ago and VAG is going through one now.

I can't comment on North American built vehicles as very few are imported to Europe, I wonder why !

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are right, Hyundia used to be the joke of vehicle manufactures and they are better and maybe in another decade they will catch up. Just Google Equus and read how people driving and testing them compared to Merc, Lexus, Audi. Yes they are cheaper, but as I said you will read about how they start falling apart and drive loose compared to real cars.

You are also right when you say They've been moving up while some others are struggling to stand still. but I can only think of Honda who has been standing still.

·
Registered
659 Posts
How does the warranty work for things like plastic trim pieces that are clearly broken/not installed correctly? Or radio buttons flaking paint or coming off? Is that covered under the 5 year? Are radio buttons included in the electrical part of the warranty?

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Ruperts Trooper wrote:
Hyundai/Kia are ....not.....close to premium brands.
////////////
Winnipeg Santa wrote:
You are right, Hyundia .....maybe in another decade they will catch up.
////////////
litesong wrote:
My wife doesn't care for cars, except for her Hyundai Accent, which she loves. It has had no mechanical or electrical problems. Furthermore, at 80,000 miles, it has yet to have one squeak, creak or rattle. My 1988 Ford Festiva(KIA body, Mazda engine) is averaging 46 mpg with a high of 57mpg. My 2013 Elantra gives a lovely rige & is averaging 39mpg with a high of 43.

I'm glad Hyundai/KIA isn't close to other companies.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts
I know I am gonna get some flak about this but I frankly believe some has to do with how we take care of the cars.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I know I am gonna get some flak about this but I frankly believe some has to do with how we take care of the cars.
:amen:

My mom's 2006 Nissan Altima still look like it just came out of the showroom. My neighbour's 2010 Honda Civic looks like it went through h.ell and back. Part of it is quality, most of it is owner's care.

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
You are right, Hyundia used to be the joke of vehicle manufactures and they are better and maybe in another decade they will catch up. Just Google Equus and read how people driving and testing them compared to Merc, Lexus, Audi. Yes they are cheaper, but as I said you will read about how they start falling apart and drive loose compared to real cars.

You are also right when you say They've been moving up while some others are struggling to stand still. but I can only think of Honda who has been standing still.
The North American premium car sector is unique, unlike the premium sector in other world markets - in contrast to the mainstream sector where North America has parallels all over the world.

The Equus, Genesis and Azera are only sold in limited markets - Korea domestic and North America AFAIK - Hyundai certainly don't claim them to compete with premium brands anywhere else, indeed don't market them elsewhere.

Honda has stood still, Subaru has retrenched, Toyota has had to rebuild it's quality image, Nissan has abandoned mainstream for niche markets, Mazda is rebuilding it's image away from Ford - the Japanese premium brands are still just "dealer specials" for North America having failed to get established anywhere else.

Once Hyundai/Kia sort out how to market the two brands without competing against each other, which Peter Schreyer is now doing, they'll be a big market force that long-established brands will need to move over for.

·
Registered
163 Posts
There is no "North American Premium car sector". Lincoln is failing and will be lucky to last a few more years and I own a new Cadillac which is a joke. The Caddy is riddled with problems due to software updates that GM REFUSES to fix and Chrysler has a long way to go before they can even begin to consider themselves a "premium" line. I will take my Azera any day.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Well, almost all German brands have had poor reliability record over the past few years and we all know the cost to repair A BMW or Mercedes is much more than a run of the mill Japanese or American auto. BMW/Mercedes love them but cannot afford to own them. Plus BMW, Mercedes and VW all have so many restrictions on fluids one can use and so much can be done only at the dealer. Every BMW dealer I have ever visited has been arrogant and basically said hey, this is a BMW buy it or get out. My Lincoln on the other hand is 16 months old and no issues so far, same with my Elantra. Like most things in life you get what you pay for, there is basic transportation and luxurious transportation. Some luxurious transportation is more reliable than others, Lexus, Infinity, Acura

1 - 11 of 11 Posts