Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, cold snap hit and I had to scrape my windshield on my Santa Fe for the first time since I bought it. I barely scraped it clean, more like thinned the ice on the windshield, got inside and let it finish thawing with defrost. Well once the fog was completely gone off the glass, I noticed it had picked up some very significant scratches! ONE scraping and the glass is all scratched up?

What kind of cheap glass does Hyundai use? Anyone else experience their windshield scratching very easily? I had a Toyota before this and I could scrape that sucker dry and not scratch it at all. This is VERY disappointing. :confused:

·
Banned
532 Posts
You didn't happen to store the ice scraper in the garage, over the summer with the blade down:eek:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a brand new ice scraper actually, one that had a softer plastic more flexible blade

·
Registered
461 Posts
Its probably from the scraper , my 'softer one' leaves marks like a runner does on hard floors. Good buffing with window cleaner got rid of it.
Is it a oem windshield sometimes they get replaced with cheap [email protected]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I checked and it is the OEM glass (Hyundai logo in the bottom left when looking out). I had a hard scraper that scratched up a crappy replacement glass on another vehicle so i was hesitant to use that again. Figured. Not even the expensive ice scrapers are any better than the $5 specials at cdn tire...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've basically gone with avoiding ever using a scraper on the windshield unless absolutely necessary. If you use the good-quality low-temperature washer fluid, that will clear off the frost with the wipers pretty effectively without risking scratching the glass.

I believe I heard a rumor somewhere that a lot of newer vehicles use a "softer" glass which is less likely to crack from stone impacts, but scratches more easily. Not sure if there is any truth to that though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I took it back and got one that was like my old one (harder plastic scraper) but I'm going to try avoiding scraping my windshield as much as possible from now on. I just hate sitting in the car for 10 minutes as it thaws. Now I have to see if those scratches can be repaired. Some of them are almost a foot long.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts