Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchase a new 2011 Sonata SE. After about a month or so, I noticed a screeching sound that comes from the steering column every time I turn the steering wheel. I take it to the dealer, and they tell they don't know how to fix it and need to call Hyundai. Then Hyundai tells them that they are aware of the problem and that I should wait 12000 miles to break in the car. If it still makes the sound after that then they will look at it. So now I'm stuck with a car that sounds like it's got 300000 miles on it. Any suggestions on what I should do?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Call Hyundai corporate and tactfully complain. Take note of every conversation with the dealer and corporate, date and brief description of the conversation. Keep on them, squeaky wheel gets the grease!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
QUOTE (joshyd @ May 27 2010, 12:54 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326919
Call Hyundai corporate and tactfully complain. Take note of every conversation with the dealer and corporate, date and brief description of the conversation. Keep on them, squeaky wheel gets the grease!
I have actually complained to corporate, and they are backing up the dealer. Both my wife and I purchased new 2011 Sonatas a couple of months ago ... I guess I kind of feel betrayed by Hyundai.

·
Banned
7,070 Posts
I have obtained Hyundai Warranty work from Los Angeles to Miami, and never had a problem like yours. Similar to not complaining

about your Food, while it is being prepared, you should just visit another Dealer. Get a copy of the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)

which you are not supposed to see, and bring it back to the Dealer of your choice. Dealers are always somewhat reluctant working on

New Models, sometimes because they don't know what they're doing. I however find it hard to believe that Hyundai would just blow you off?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
QUOTE (MiamiLX @ May 27 2010, 01:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326927
I have obtained Hyundai Warranty work from Los Angeles to Miami, and never had a problem like yours. Similar to not complaining

about your Food, while it is being prepared, you should just visit another Dealer. Get a copy of the Technical Service Bulletin (TSB)

which you are not supposed to see, and bring it back to the Dealer of your choice. Dealers are always somewhat reluctant working on

New Models, sometimes because they don't know what they're doing. I however find it hard to believe that Hyundai would just blow you off?

I found it hard to believe as well, but here is their response:

Dear Luis Silva:

This e-mail is in regards to the noise from the steering system in your 2011 Sonata.

We contacted Matt, the service manager at Major Hyundai of Stroudsburg, to discuss your concerns with the steering system noise. Matt advised he has contacted his support resources and was informed this concern should dissipate after the break in period of 12,000 miles.

If after the break in period you are still hearing the noise, we recommend scheduling an appointment with the service department of Major Hyundai of Stroudsburg (570-476-4280) to have the concern with your Sonata readdressed. The factory trained technicians at your preferred Hyundai dealership are the most qualified to assure your vehicle is operating to Hyundai specifications.

We have documented this information under case number 3965324. This case can be referenced if you would like any further assistance.

Thank you for contacting Hyundai Consumer Affairs.

·
Registered
589 Posts
First of all, the TSB mentioned above (possible wiring damage due to contact with a steering column spring) has NOTHING to do with your screeching, and does not apply to cars with build dates after sometime in March (do a search). Your issue is with the electric steering motor.

Now, could you post a sound/video clip of your 'screeching'? Screeching to me means a pretty loud binding noise that would certainly be completely unacceptable, but sometimes people tend to exaggerate the problem, hence the sound clip request. This is my first car with electric steering (unfortunately, it's here to stay, as even BMW is using it on new models), but can't believe any loud noises can be 'normal', especially if other cars don't make it. Will be following this thread for sure.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
QUOTE (elp_jc @ May 27 2010, 03:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326977
First of all, the TSB mentioned above (possible wiring damage due to contact with a steering column spring) has NOTHING to do with your screeching, and does not apply to cars with build dates after sometime in March (do a search). Your issue is with the electric steering motor.

Now, could you post a sound/video clip of your 'screeching'? Screeching to me means a pretty loud binding noise that would certainly be completely unacceptable, but sometimes people tend to exaggerate the problem, hence the sound clip request. This is my first car with electric steering (unfortunately, it's here to stay, as even BMW is using it on new models), but can't believe any loud noises can be 'normal', especially if other cars don't make it. Will be following this thread for sure.
I will try to get a video or sound clip. For some reason I also didn't put two and two together, but a week after I got this car, I had to take it to the dealer because the car was pulling to the left, even when the road leaned to the right. The dealer didn't do any paperwork and made it seem a if I was crazy, and now I'm wondering if whoever aligned it messed something up. My wife also has a 2011 Sonata and when I turn the steering wheel on hers, it's completely silent.

·
Banned
630 Posts
I'm a bit of a bull in a china shop but my techniques work.......I'd give them royal ****...go down there, threaten lawsuits, threaten to put the car through the showroom front window, get really loud and obnoxious when customers are around you about how that dealer is screwing you...

they'll take care of you.....

·
Registered
167 Posts
QUOTE (Luis S. @ May 27 2010, 02:15 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326981
I will try to get a video or sound clip. For some reason I also didn't put two and two together, but a week after I got this car, I had to take it to the dealer because the car was pulling to the left, even when the road leaned to the right. The dealer didn't do any paperwork and made it seem a if I was crazy, and now I'm wondering if whoever aligned it messed something up. My wife also has a 2011 Sonata and when I turn the steering wheel on hers, it's completely silent.
Not to get off topic, but your car will always climb to the high spot. So if the center of the road is crowned, the car naturally has a tendency to go left. This is the same simple mechanical principle as crowning the middle of idler rollers under a conveyor belt to help keep it tracking on center. The belt will always have a tendency to climb up the crown. Seems backwards to what most people might imagine would happen.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
QUOTE (vewdew @ May 27 2010, 04:44 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327019
Not to get off topic, but your car will always climb to the high spot. So if the center of the road is crowned, the car naturally has a tendency to go left. This is the same simple mechanical principle as crowning the middle of idler rollers under a conveyor belt to help keep it tracking on center. The belt will always have a tendency to climb up the crown. Seems backwards to what most people might imagine would happen.
Ok well, this is my 5th car and none of them ever pulled up the crown, so I don't buy your story.

·
Registered
167 Posts
QUOTE (Luis S. @ May 27 2010, 04:07 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327028
Ok well, this is my 5th car and none of them ever pulled up the crown, so I don't buy your story.
No need to get testy. Whether you buy my story or not, this is a simple mechanical principle. Your car, if properly aligned and with good tread, should not normally pull left or right on a relatively flat surface. A slight crown in the center of the road is generally not enough of an impact to pull your car a noticeable amount. I am not in any way trying to imply that what you are experiencing is normal. However, what I stated is a fact, regardless of how many cars you've owned.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
QUOTE (elp_jc @ May 27 2010, 03:06 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326977

I have uploaded a video to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrnXLJWH7Zs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
QUOTE (vewdew @ May 27 2010, 05:14 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327031
No need to get testy. Whether you buy my story or not, this is a simple mechanical principle. Your car, if properly aligned and with good tread, should not normally pull left or right on a relatively flat surface. A slight crown in the center of the road is generally not enough of an impact to pull your car a noticeable amount. I am not in any way trying to imply that what you are experiencing is normal. However, what I stated is a fact, regardless of how many cars you've owned.
Sorry bro ... just a little frustrated. Not here to argue with anybody.

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (Luis S. @ May 27 2010, 04:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=327038
WOW... that seriously sounds like metal on metal... something very wrong there. Or maybe I'm just hearing things wrong. Oh, and check lemon laws in your state, it may be that they don't apply after 12,000 miles like Hyundai has told you to wait until... something is just really fishy here.

·
Registered
548 Posts
QUOTE (NT2SHBBY @ May 27 2010, 02:19 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=326983
I'm a bit of a bull in a china shop but my techniques work.......I'd give them royal ****...go down there, threaten lawsuits, threaten to put the car through the showroom front window, get really loud and obnoxious when customers are around you about how that dealer is screwing you...

they'll take care of you.....
Hahaha... you remind me of my father. I avoid him and anywhere he goes whenever he's upset about something. Someone's gonna lose a limb... or a lot of money! :)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts