Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I have a Hyundai i30 on order & I've been curious if the 5 year Warranty is anygood?

Mainly I've been trying to find out if it includes the labour for any work that might need doing?

Is it worth taking their 3 year servicing plan? It seems quite pricy at £450 (Diesel cars)
Hyundai Fixed Price Service Plans

Finally, is there anywhere I can download the user manual ? I;d love to read it before I get the car. It seems like its going to be late.

Cheers,

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Owners Manual...

Welcome! Always exciting to get a new car... especially a Hyundai! Several place for the manual. Google it and choose your site. Most are pdf downloads and many are free!

·
Registered
538 Posts
Like any warranty if it sounds to good to be true, it is. Rely on your government statuary warranty which in Australia is 12 Months, after that any claim on Hyundai will become increasingly difficult. They insist on impeccable record keeping of all receipts related to the car, also declining any service 'option' offered by the dealer could be used against you as 'failure to follow service recommendations'. They will also change their story/recommendations as and when it suits them. The added expense incurred in 'validating' the warranty by these means soon make it look not quite so good. Hyundai cars are in general so reliable you need to ask if it's worth the trouble, if the cars were no good Hyundai wouldn't offer long warranties.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Depending on your mileage, £150 max per service sounds pretty good. I haven't had my i30 serviced yet, but my iX20 servicing was quoted at £170 minor and £250 major.

For the iX20, on buying, I asked for the prices for separate services versus the plan. Strangely, that was actually cheaper than the 3- or 5-year plan. That's in Cambridge - not known for cheap prices! - but I feel you should do the same.

Re the warranty, let's face it, NO maker WANTS to waste money fixing their cars - it's all off their profits! The value of any warranty depends largely on the dealer, your relationship with them, and your ability to 'negotiate' without becoming a pain and p155ing them off. I managed a replacement car after a year because I was firm but fair, and we all remained friends!

As Ray G said, though, Hyundais are basically reliable cars so you probably won't be claiming for any exploded engines or drive trains! They certainly still have a few rough edges, though - I'm happy enough with my i30, but only had another Hyundai because something from their range was all that was on offer. But they're still not up to the standard of the main brands, even though their prices are going that way!

Cheers - Peter.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Have had a i30 wagon for 4 years and had a few problems like door locks, auto trans valves sticking and a rattle or 2 all fixed at no cost and a loan car thrown in. The main thing to keep your 5 year warranty is to have it regularly serviced by a Hyundai dealership.

·
Registered
538 Posts
After just having my i30 30,000klm service at the dealer I can say it Won't be going back there again. $650 for a service I have redone at home. On dropping the car at the desk I asked the service advisor if they used any fuel or oil additives in the service to which the reply was 'No, we never use any additives, they're rubbish, they don't work'. Great says i smiling confirming I didn't want any put in my car. Hours later, on picking up the car and checking the job sheet I see 'Hyundai fuel injector treatment $15', what's this? I ask the advisor? I asked NO ADDITIVES be used, his response, 'I forgot about that one we always put it in every car we service'. Following was a short discussion on Hyundais warranty re fuel contamination, as I have every fuel docket for fuel ever put in the car, and my belief that the only thing that should be in a diesel tank is diesel. He assured me that Hyundai would still warrant any fuel system damage. About this time the second service advisor commented, 'Your cars diesel isn't it?, I'll just go and see the mechanic'. The second advisor returned shortly saying 'It's ok we never put anything in your fuel tank', I stood there, waiting, then he says 'I guess we had better give you some money back then' Thank you I say.

I then get in my car and drive home. Next morning cold start, for the first time ever it takes a good 5 seconds of cranking to start, strange me thinks. The day after, cold start, it takes two cranks to start, hmmm me thinks, then as I had forgot to open the gate I hop out and walk past the back of the car, the exhaust odour was strange, not diesel smell, but chemically almost a petrolly smell.

I then drained 35 Litres of fuel out of it and flushed fresh diesel through the lines, it's actually a dead easy job to do, a short test drive seemed good, with the engine running fine, next morning, cold start, the engine fired on about the first revolution as it always has done.

i still maintain most faults and damage done to cars is caused by miss servicing, or careless mechanics, what starts out as a minor problem reported by the owner can escalate to a major problem very quickly.

:mad:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts