Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 4 year old car under Hyundai Certified Pre-owned program. The car is still under warranty. Just two months after the purchase, the windshield suffered a stress crack from sub zero weather. I took it to the dealership and they told me that the previous owner had put in a cheap Chinese windshield with a possibly defective heater, which cracked it. But they won't do anything to fix it.

I am confused. I bought the car from the dealership thinking that it is all original. The dealership didn't tell me at the time of purchase that the windshield is not original. I trusted them and the CPO program. Now, they are telling me that if the part was original, they'll replace it. So whose fault is it that its not original?

I really hate now that just after two months, I have to pay for windshield replacement out of my own pocket.

Any advice?

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Glass is usually not a warranty item.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
A CPO is just that, the dealer makes sure of the vehicle's quality. <<<< cheap Chinese windshield with a possibly defective heater, which cracked it. >>> means it is not a CPO. Your car insurance usually covers windshields with no or little deductible.
I would ask how they know about the "defective heater". Then the defect should be fixed. Did you buy the the car from that dealer ?
Ever hear of small claims court ? But glass is a problem as I state below.

Then I would take your questions to Hyundai and against the dealer that sold you a CPO. Glass is a problem as any tiny rock can cause a crack that looks like stress. Had to replace windshields in two different cars. I believe I paid nothing for either. One was a tiny chip, when it got cold, causes a crack that went to the edge.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Are you absolutely certain it is a replacement windshield? I had the same problem in my 2007 Santa Fe, and the car was at least 6-7 years old. When I bought it in 2009, it was certified pre-owned, as I purchased an extended warranty. I also had a stress fracture that appeared overnight and extended about 14-16" up the windshield vertically. You could feel it on the inside, not the outside. Dealer said it wouldn't be covered because the vehicle was more than 5 yrs old, regional manager agreed. I used a reputable local glass repair co., and they told me it was probably a spec of dirt or grit (as you could see it originated well below the VIN no.) that was probably there when it was manufactured, but it took that look to create a problem. I had photos, and the repair co. let me take additional photos when they removed it. The warranty did not cover it, but I submitted a claim to my insurance company. They covered a portion, and I wrote a letter to the CEO of Hyundai, explaining the situation. I provided all names of those involved along with all documentation and photos. And of course I mentioned my husband was driving his second Hyundai, as we were a Hyundai family. I got a phone call a few weeks later. They said they would reimburse me for the deductible and costs associated with a new registration sticker, etc. It was a lot of effort, but I think my check from them was about $170, so it was worth it to me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts