Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've owned several BMW's over the years; in fact I traded a Z4 3.0si for my Sonata SE and for the price, I am just as happy with my Hyundai as I was with any of my BMW's. In fact in a few ways and features, the Hyundai beats the BMW. Bottom line, when I consider all that I get for a mere *fraction* of the price, I'd say Hyundai wins. The only place where it truly looses is in the prestige factor. However as I've said in a previous post, "Conspicuous consumption is so last century... frugal is the new sexy!" It kind of reminds me of Travolta's minivan in "Get Shorty". Soon everyone will be on the band wagon.

P.S. So far, with the exception of one person, NO ONE I know or who I have spoken to about the car has questioned my choice over the BMW.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am one of the demographics that the article is mentioning. I am coming from owning a BMW 745Li, before that I had a BMW M3, before that 5 different Porsches (one being a 996 TwinTurbo, msrp $129,000)
Now I have a son going to College, a son going to Highschool AND a daughter in diapers. I have to really watch my expenses.
Hence, the Sonata purchase.
I have driven a BMW 328i, the loaner car at my dealership, every time my 7 was in for repair (which was very often). The Sonata compares very favorably with the 328i, in most catagories. Ofcourse handling goes to the BMW, hands down. Comfort and covenience goes to the Sonata. With the BMW owners, you are paying a huge premium for the name, and only you can decide if it is worth it or not.

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (Doc_V @ May 6 2010, 02:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320262
I've owned several BMW's over the years; in fact I traded a Z4 3.0si for my Sonata SE and for the price, I am just as happy with my Hyundai as I was with any of my BMW's. In fact in a few ways and features, the Hyundai beats the BMW. Bottom line, when I consider all that I get for a mere *fraction* of the price, I'd say Hyundai wins. The only place where it truly looses is in the prestige factor. However as I've said in a previous post, "Conspicuous consumption is so last century... frugal is the new sexy!" It kind of reminds me of Travolta's minivan in "Get Shorty". Soon everyone will be on the band wagon.

[u]P.S. So far, with the exception of one person, NO ONE I know or who I have spoken to about the car has questioned my choice over the BMW.[/u]

Alot of my friends have made fun of my choice to replace a 7 BMW with a Sonata. A couple of them bet me $200 that I wouldn't do it! I am ready to collect on those bets.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I own a BMW 335 and a Limited w/ NAV Sonata, but the BMW to compare to the Sonata is the 5 series.

The only way the Sonata beats the BMW is in price and that's it.

Hyundai just cheaps out in too many areas. I'm not disappointed in my purchase - it's what I expected for the price point of the vehicle. There is just no way any SANE person can say if money was no object they would rather have the Hyundai. You are high if you think that.

So far here is my list of where Hyundai cheaped out and is missing basic features the BMW has:

-Auto sensing wipers
-Xenon Headlights (and active headlights)
-LED Taillights
-Path lighting under door handles to light the outside around the car
-Heated seats suck in the Hyundai - bad in comparison to the BMW.
-Passenger power seat
-better Ipod integration
-All windows auto up/down
-The back seats feel like a thin layer of foam on a concrete pad.
-Bluetooth - better integration & MIC in the BMW.

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head. The 5 series has a lot more feature wise too than the 3 series.

Hyundai makes a great product and a product that looks great on paper, but when you actually sit down and do an in depth comparison they just skimp out in too many areas. But again 25k car versus 45k car in my case. I would expect BMW to wow me all the time - and it does. however the Hyundai does wow me most of the time.

I'm not even going to compare the handling, because Hyundai does not even come close to competing with the handling of any BMW model.

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (jfulcher @ May 6 2010, 03:30 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320303
There is just no way any SANE person can say if money was no object they would rather have the Hyundai. You are high if you think that.
I suspect there are few people who can say money is no object, for ANY purchase. Thats why comparing the Sonata to the 5 is pointless. ****, comparing the Sonata to the 3 is pointless, when you add features to the 3 you may as well compare to the Genesis sedan, price point is similar. Almost like they designed it that way. :whistling:

Most people go into a vehicle purchase with a pretty hard price point, and a vague idea of what kind of car they need. They will compare the Sonata to other vendors vehicles in the same price class, and find them comparing the 'large car', well-equipped, mid-grade quality to others small cars.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm coming from a 2001 Lexus IS300, then a 2006 Mercedes CLS500. I am thrilled with my SE! I can't believe the combination of styling, features, OMG fuel economy and the power from the 4 cylinder engine (Not fast by any means but seriously surprising knowing it's fuel economy). I can't believe what a nice car I got for the money. I think Hyundai must have some form of alien technology to pull this off :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
I am from a family that owned BMW's since 1974 when, as a teenager car fanatic, I convinced my dad to go the sporty BMW way in stead of the Merc way as the rest of his peers did. It started in the family with his 3.0S and expanded to 2 generations of 5 series, 2 generations of 3 series and 3 generations of 7 series. Back in 74 the Mercedes snob crowd looked down their noses at anyone who dared to compare a BMW with a Merc, even though BMW targeted the Merc market. I don t think Hyundai are really targeting BMW at this point but they have already shown the run of the mill Nissan, Toyota, Mazda crowd a thing or two. To me they are at the same point where BMW was in the early 70's. I recognized a good upcoming product back then, I think I am backing a similar winner today. I agree with the earlier poster that size wise the Sonata compares with the 5 series

·
Registered
258 Posts
Guys,
As much as i love my Sonata SE we have to be realistic here. Yes, Hyundai made some amazing progress, yes some great folks are working now for Hyundai and yes the 2011 Sonata is great, but...BMW got decades of experience in making cars under their belt. BMW really is leading the way in many car technical inventions and everyone else is feeding on it (including Hyundai). I love what Hyundai did so far and I'm truly amazed by it, but we have to wait and see how situation will develop before proclaiming Hyundai the new King in Cars Business...At this point Hyundai is competing against Toyota and Honda, but it is not even close to be in the same class as BMW, Audi, Acura or Lexus...i mean common guys... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
142 Posts
QUOTE (ula @ May 6 2010, 04:02 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320367
Guys,
As much as i love my Sonata SE we have to be realistic here. Yes, Hyundai made some amazing progress, yes some great folks are working now for Hyundai and yes the 2011 Sonata is great, but...BMW got decades of experience in making cars under their belt. BMW really is leading the way in many car technical inventions and everyone else is feeding on it (including Hyundai). I love what Hyundai did so far and I'm truly amazed by it, but we have to wait and see how situation will develop before proclaiming Hyundai the new King in Cars Business...At this point Hyundai is competing against Toyota and Honda, but it is not even close to be in the same class as BMW, Audi, Acura or Lexus...i mean common guys... :thumbsup:
I agree with alot of what you said. But when you look at the Hyundai Genesis and the Equus then I would say that Hyundai is competing with the likes of
Lexus and Acura at least and doing a great job too.

·
Registered
78 Posts
QUOTE (wozzy @ May 6 2010, 08:08 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320389
I agree with alot of what you said. But when you look at the Hyundai Genesis and the Equus then I would say that Hyundai is competing with the likes of
Lexus and Acura at least and doing a great job too.
I would also agree that they are not there...yet. Still, after talking cars with my CEO he's scrapping plans to buy his daughter a Lexus in favor of the Sonata.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
QUOTE (Phil the Canuck @ May 7 2010, 11:09 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320572
I would also agree that they are not there...yet. Still, after talking cars with my CEO he's scrapping plans to buy his daughter a Lexus in favor of the Sonata.

I think Ula made a valid point... Hyundai does not = BMW, no doubt about that. What is interesting is that Hyundai has certainly come a long way since people are considering Hyundai as an alternative, if not as a direct equivelant. If money was no consideration, I would have purchased either an Inifiniti M35x or a G37X.

As it turns out, money is a consideration. Even after having owned a couple of Infiniti's which were great cars, I bought the Sonata because it saved me a ton of dough (about $17K between the car and the trade-in deal), and it satisfied all of my needs, and most of my wants.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
But again 25k car versus 45k car in my case. I would expect BMW to wow me all the time - and it does. however the Hyundai does wow me most of the time.

I'm not even going to compare the handling, because Hyundai does not even come close to competing with the handling of any BMW model.
I agree the 5 series is nicer and handles better than the Sonata. The question is, how much
nicer and better, and how much more is that worth to you?

Of course, that is a personal preference, and depends on your needs and personality.

One thing the article didn't mention was warranty and reliability. The Sonata probably wins those
categories.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think the fact that we are even having this discussion says a lot about how far Hyundai has come. I had a 06 mazdaspeed6 and the quality and features are very comparable but the Sonata crushes it in MPG and cost AND warantty, which is why we switch. Love it!

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (bobad @ May 7 2010, 01:46 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320604
I agree the 5 series is nicer and handles better than the Sonata. The question is, how much
nicer and better, and how much more is that worth to you?

Of course, that is a personal preference, and depends on your needs and personality.

One thing the article didn't mention was warranty and reliability. The Sonata probably wins those
categories.
Warranty yes - BMW is only 4yr/50k. However you get 4/50 of maintenance too.

BMWs are very well built and reliable cars, the issue is the cost to repair them if anything goes wrong. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
QUOTE (jfulcher @ May 7 2010, 03:34 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320638
Warranty yes - BMW is only 4yr/50k. However you get 4/50 of maintenance too.

BMWs are very well built and reliable cars, the issue is the cost to repair them if anything goes wrong. :)
Please tell my buddies over at Bimmerfest Forums, the E65/E66 (7 series), how reliable their $80K bimmer has been! Especially the 2003 model, which BMW had tack on a 6year/100,000 warranty to slow down the lawsuits.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I own a BMW 335 and a Limited w/ NAV Sonata, but the BMW to compare to the Sonata is the 5 series.

Hyundai just cheaps out in too many areas. I'm not disappointed in my purchase - it's what I expected for the price point of the vehicle. There is just no way any SANE person can say if money was no object they would rather have the Hyundai. You are high if you think that.

So far here is my list of where Hyundai cheaped out and is missing basic features the BMW has:

-Auto sensing wipers
-LED Taillights
-Passenger power seat
-better Ipod integration

That's just what I can think of off the top of my head. The 5 series has a lot more feature wise too than the 3 series.

Hyundai makes a great product and a product that looks great on paper, but when you actually sit down and do an in depth comparison they just skimp out in too many areas. But again 25k car versus 45k car in my case. I would expect BMW to wow me all the time - and it does. however the Hyundai does wow me most of the time.

I would say the Genesis is more of a direct competitor to the BMW 5 series. I dont think the Sonata even comes close.

·
Registered
232 Posts

-Auto sensing wipers
-LED Taillights
-Passenger power seat
-better Ipod integration

This is really so on target.

·
Registered
166 Posts
QUOTE (RXDOC @ May 7 2010, 06:48 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320680
Please tell my buddies over at Bimmerfest Forums, the E65/E66 (7 series), how reliable their $80K bimmer has been! Especially the 2003 model, which BMW had tack on a 6year/100,000 warranty to slow down the lawsuits.
I'm familiar with Bimmerfest - every manufacturer has bad years though. Already at 37k on my BMW and no warranty claims yet - well when they delivered the car the Sirius receiver was faulty, but that was it. At least they came through with an extended warranty for those 7 series - BMW is good at doing that - there are some manufacturers that won't do crap for you. On my 335 they extended my warranty another 100k on Fuel Pump related stuff, because it was their first big venture into Gas Turbo/Direct Injection and they had issues with the HPFP. One of the reasons I wouldn't run out to buy a new Sonata Turbo. Hyundai is just too new at this GDI & Turbo thing. (I know they had a turbo model in the past though) BMW has been doing turbo in Europe for a **** of a long time and they still had some issues. I'm just happy I haven't run into the fuel pump issues. :) BMW didn't hesitate at offering that extra warranty though.

QUOTE (ConceptVBS @ May 7 2010, 11:45 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320774
I would say the Genesis is more of a direct competitor to the BMW 5 series. I dont think the Sonata even comes close.
We aren't talking in features, i'm talking size wise. The Genesis is more on the 7 series level. That's my point though - the BMW kills the equivalent Hyundai in the same category. In Features & Quality.

It's just not even a comparison - so the article brought up here is just garbage journalism. Sure maybe you take the Genesis and compare it to a 3 series and you have a better car.

If I'm spending 40k+ on a car I can promise you it won't be a Hyundai. I'm not even a huge fan of Infiniti or Lexus, because at the end of the day you are just paying for an overpriced Nissan or Toyota.

·
Registered
133 Posts
QUOTE (jfulcher @ May 8 2010, 07:16 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=320835
It's just not even a comparison - so the article brought up here is just garbage journalism. Sure maybe you take the Genesis and compare it to a 3 series and you have a better car.
Your forgot to add: At the same price. Your refusal to adress price is a fallacy. Believe it or not, even luxury car owners consider price in vehicle purchases. Your argument probably is true, for these people.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.