Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys I need advice from you. So I have 2015 Hyundai Santa Fe sport 2.4 and considering to trade for 2010 Mercedes E350 with the same mileage. With $4K over my Santa Fe. Does this seem good idea or not ? No hate please, I know that this is Hyundai forum, but want something luxurious and with v6 power. But 2010 vs 2015 bugs me really bad!!!

·
Registered
414 Posts
The first hard question - will you be able to afford the repairs on a 2010 E350 if something expensive goes south? Besides the upfront cost of the purchase, have a buffer for repair costs of a 7 yr car and you will enjoy the car ownership more.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You're upside down 4K? The cost of ownership on a Mercedes is sky high. You better have records for every required service before you buy it. I'll use my VW as a low-end example. Piece of plastic trim broke on the trunk $450, transmission service $550, new transmission 3.2K, new engine 8K, tires every 16 months, it keeps going. This class of cars is not cheap. I was and still am beaten down by these prices. Hence my move to Hyundai.

·
Registered
08 Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic
277 Posts
if you have independant garages that you get work done at i would ask them about it. they'll probably tell you to stay away

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It’s through AutoNation, they did all the inspection and it got 125points. I want to get their warranty as well. I won’t be able to pay from my pocket right away if something expensive breaks. That’s why I want their warranty be included. Yes 4K upside down. I’m also thinking of buying it as a second car, what do you guys think?

·
Registered
315 Posts
I think it is a bad idea. I would only buy CPO or new. I seriously keep 10K set aside just for my VW's next massive failure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I own a 2016 E250 and a 2014 Santa Fe. As mentioned before, I would only buy a CPO car and if possible, extended warranty. I love my Benz but will probably trade it just before warranty is over. There’s no such thing as a “cheap” repair. If you really want to do your research, head over to the mbworld forum. You’ll find all the info you need to convince yourself to either buy it, or stay away.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I have owned Mercedes since 2010. Got rid of it last year and now I am finally able to put some money away for retirement. They are terribly expensive vehicles to own. Big bucks repair every time you turn around!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I suppose the owners of various Santa Fe's can now say that the cost of new;

Self levelling rear shocks.
New Transfer boxes.
New 4WD units.
Rear differentials.
Suspension joints.
New Auto Boxes.
Etc. Etc.

Can now rejoice knowing that the fists full of money paid has been all worth while and cheap. Take a look at the UK SF forum to see the very expensive repairs/servicing we have over here. If a car, of any make, is serviced properly, at the right time then it should be OK for many thousands of miles.

My experiences would suggest that too many owners neglect servicing, hope for the best and then complain when something goes wrong!

·
Registered
08 Santa Fe 2.7 Automatic
277 Posts
don't take this seriously but whenever i think of high end european cars i think of that episode of married with children when marcy's second husband bought the bmw

·
Registered
171 Posts
Don't be lured into a deal because of the brand's emblem going back 5 years and $4000. for the exchange is not a frugal move, in my opinion, a very bad business decision one you will regret.

·
Registered
993 Posts
don't take this seriously but whenever i think of high end european cars i think of that episode of married with children when marcy's second husband bought the bmw

LOL, Jefferson was pretty funny though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
142 Posts
I had two ML350's before I bought the SF. The first oil change on the used ML350 was told I needed $4320.00 worth of work. This included a front axle for $1,000.00. and brake work and suggested repairs from the owners manual. You have to learn to do most of the work yourself. The second ML350 I owned was a nice vehicle. However the V6 engine had a problem with the timing chain sprocket not being heat treated. This only was on 10% of the 2006 through 2009 models. They did not know any way to tell which engine would fail. If it did the repair was between $4,000.00 and $5,000.00. If you had under 100,00 miles they would help with part of the bill. I had my last MB for about three years and traded it for the SF. I got tired of spending money.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I think high maintenance cost is an affliction of all German luxury cars. We used to have a BMW X3 X Drive 35i. It was a sweet car. Once it had an issue with the TPMS. I took it to the dealer (it was still in warranty) and they replaced two sensors. I saw the bill.....$100 per wheel for parts and labor.

I know when I've bought new tires at Discount Tire, they install TPMS sensor rebuild kits for a very nominal charge. Buy I understand BMW's TPMS will only accept BMW sensors.

I wasn't about to pay $400 to replace a set when the car was out of warranty.

High future maintenance costs are what led us to trade it for a SFS and are very happy with it. And the dealer we purchased it from gave us a lifetime powertrain warranty (on top of Hyundai's) at no extra charge.

·
Registered
155 Posts
High future maintenance costs are what led us to trade it for a SFS and are very happy with it. And the dealer we purchased it from gave us a lifetime powertrain warranty (on top of Hyundai's) at no extra charge.
I bet they are wondering how much that might cost them in the long run with the spate of failing motors. Maybe they know the '17 models have an engine that doesn't have the design flaw plaguing the older SFS's... I just had mine replaced ('14 model turbo) and now wondering how long it's going to last, if I should trade it and run. Hoping they made an improvement on these new short blocks that will prevent that particular failure. After break-in on semi-synth Hyundai oil, going to switch to full synth Mobil 1 and pray since I really don't see switching vehicles in the budget right now. I had planned to keep it to near 200k as I really like the vehicle otherwise.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I work for an MB dealership, and I bought my wife a 2014 SFS 2.0T...not a 2010 E350 or ML350. For reasons like examples given above and my prior experience with a 2009 Sonata 3.3 and a 2014 Genesis 3.8 as well. Hope to keep it for a long time. 23k miles so still under warranty. Bought ext warranty also. Will maintain well and do a lot myself. Expect ownership costs to be much less than MB/BMW/Audi and many others. At the same time, she has many of the features and content of these other cars. If value is important to you, and you would rather save than spend money, I think Hyundai in general is a good choice. We enjoy ours very much.

Reactions: tobidog

·
Registered
427 Posts
trade a 2015 for a 2010? no.

Just realize you can't afford a recent mercedes, it's ok, I can't either. The 2010 will cost you alot in repairs and maintenance, for older tech. forget it

1 - 17 of 17 Posts