Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...t=0#entry372315

I thought I'd post this because I honestly am not sure where I read on this forum that the next gen accent would be an upgraded Alpha II with a head swap. And if it's the same engine as they're talking about using in the Velostar (given that they're both rated for 138HP), then I would assume the turbo setup would swap. But, I'm not sure. Anyone up on this that could clarify?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (AccentSE_44 @ Nov 16 2010, 07:10 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372316
http://www.hyundai-forums.com/index.php?sh...t=0#entry372315

I thought I'd post this because I honestly am not sure where I read on this forum that the next gen accent would be an upgraded Alpha II with a head swap. And if it's the same engine as they're talking about using in the Velostar (given that they're both rated for 138HP), then I would assume the turbo setup would swap. But, I'm not sure. Anyone up on this that could clarify?
The 1.6GDI should be a totally new engine, different from the AlphaII. It will be the same engine used in the new Accent and Veloster. What turbo setup?

·
Registered
810 Posts
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Nov 16 2010, 06:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372325
The 1.6GDI should be a totally new engine, different from the AlphaII. It will be the same engine used in the new Accent and Veloster. What turbo setup?
There are reports that Hyundai's going to release a higher HP variant of the Veloster IIRC. 140 will be the stock HP just like the new Accent engine, but from what I remember the rumours where a ~190hp variant. Not sure if they'll do that though. That puts it awfully close to the Genesis Coupe's 4 banger numbers.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (Naky @ Nov 17 2010, 09:40 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372442
There are reports that Hyundai's going to release a higher HP variant of the Veloster IIRC. 140 will be the stock HP just like the new Accent engine, but from what I remember the rumours where a ~190hp variant. Not sure if they'll do that though. That puts it awfully close to the Genesis Coupe's 4 banger numbers.
Ahhh that turbo setup. It should be close to 180hp from what I've read. The Gen Coupe will probably geta small boost in power and have the 6 cyl replaced with a more powerful version of the 274hp 2.0t.

Maybe not but it seems logical as Hyundai is looking at discarding V6s from its lineup.

·
1,565 Posts

·
1,565 Posts
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Nov 17 2010, 01:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372505
I don't remember but I do recall them saying they wanted to use boosted 4 cyl instead of the V6 in lesser models (below the Genesis Sedan). I might be talking out of my **** too :grin:
Well, it makes sense. I just wanted to read more about it.

·
Registered
4,624 Posts
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Nov 17 2010, 04:37 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372505
I don't remember but I do recall them saying they wanted to use boosted 4 cyl instead of the V6 in lesser models (below the Genesis Sedan). I might be talking out of my **** too :grin:
I think you're right, but the fact of the matter is turboed I4s would actually be pretty close to the expense, if not more expensive to run than V6s. Factor in the NEED for premium gas, NEED to change oil every 3,000ish miles, and turbo repair, and you're looking at a car that's just as expensive to run as a V6. Doesn't make much sense, except turbos sound nicer haha

·
Registered
810 Posts
I would imagine it's more for fuel economy/emissions reasons than anything else. Automotive companies are required to improve them every year and it's getting harder to do slap V6/V8 options into everything now. This is one of the reasons why GM chose to throw a turbo on the Cruze's 4, IIRC.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
QUOTE (bloodninja @ Nov 17 2010, 04:17 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372520
I think you're right, but the fact of the matter is turboed I4s would actually be pretty close to the expense, if not more expensive to run than V6s. Factor in the NEED for premium gas, NEED to change oil every 3,000ish miles, and turbo repair, and you're looking at a car that's just as expensive to run as a V6. Doesn't make much sense, except turbos sound nicer haha
Fuel economy is the main reason for this. Hyundai's turbo four gets much better mileage than their V6. If you take care of the engine, it will last and be as reliable as any naturally aspirated engine. Make sure to use synthetic oil and it'll be fine.

There are lots of myths around turbo engines. Things have greatly evolved in the last 15 years. Their only real requirement is synthetic oil.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
QUOTE (burnitwithfire @ Nov 16 2010, 08:05 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=372325
I have read that it will be a new engine. I just wonder if they mean completely new from the ground up. What's usually entailed with DI? I haven't been able to find an engine designation yet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts