Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by a friend a few years ago that Hyundai went to Toyota for engine help and that if you looked under the hood of a Hyundai it would have a Toyota engine. I don't remember the year of the Sonata I looked under but it had a Toyota engine. I have been trying to figure out what years and what models Hyundai used a Toyota engine for or if I am simply going crazy. :D Since I can't find anything I am questioning if the engine really did say Toyota and my in-laws sold the car so I can't even check again :( Anyone have any information regarding Hyundai's using Toyota engines that would be great!

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
The only thing I found is this: In 1991, the company succeeded in developing its first proprietary gasoline engine, the four-cylinder Alpha, and also its own transmission, thus paving the way for technological independence.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
im told by one of the mechanics that does the work on my car the 2010+ YF 2.0 is a Mitsubishi engine.....
Mitsubishi, Hyundai & Dodge worked together to make 1.8, 2, & 2.4 liter "World Engines". Dodge used it in their Caliber & Avenger, the Caliber which I bought in 2006. It was not a greatly powerful or efficient engine, but was reliable. Used with a Nissan CVT transmission, the combination was elegantly smooth & quiet, & with careful featherfooting, I averaged over 31mpg, with a high of 37mpg(far higher than most drivers). Too bad, but the Caliber had lots of road & tire noise.

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
litesong is right, it was called Global Engine Alliance, In September 2009, Chrysler bought out the shares of Mitsubishi and Hyundai after a 5-year run of allied research and development. The initial design of the engine block and cylinder head was handled by Hyundai. It features siamesed bores, an aluminum block with cast-iron cylinder liners, and an aluminum head. Different cylinder liners could be fitted to increase or decrease displacement depending on manufacturers needs. Each manufacturer configured their variants of the initial design differently based on their engineering needs and standards, so consumers may experience very different power, fuel efficiency, and "feel" from each manufacturer.

Since Chrysler bought out the shares of Mitsubishi and Hyundai in 2009, not sure these engines are still used by Hyundai in newer engines.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Since Chrysler bought out the shares of Mitsubishi and Hyundai in 2009, not sure these engines are still used by Hyundai in newer engines.
My Caliber 2 liter was very smooth & quiet at idle & at speed, but not quiet in hard acceleration. The 1.8 liter 2013 Elantra is not refined at idle, OK at speed, not smooth during hard acceleration. Both engines tho, have more HP rating to attract buyers, than their less advertised low torque can deliver in pulling power. Tho many had problems with Caliber, the engine had fewer reported problems & I loved mine for its reliability.

·
22,793 Posts
Fascinating read, gentlemen. I guess everyone jumps in bed with everyone else at one time or the other. Why not? All the OEM's are outsourcing so many of their parts to cheaper suppliers. Just designed or spec'd out to meet their particular requirements. Fascinating, indeed.

·
Banned
1,196 Posts
Both engines tho, have more HP rating to attract buyers, than their less advertised low torque can deliver in pulling power.
The 2 liter Caliber engine w/CVT tranny was computer controlled & very lethargic from a start & 1.8 liter Elantra would beat Caliber easily. The CVT tranny DID have a low setting tho, that quickened the computer control & helped starting acceleration. But the Caliber with CVT tranny in the low setting really started operating above 35mph. & above 50mph, the 2 liter in its CVT low setting, could even be called brisk. The CVT, having its best acceleration continually, with no clutch disconnect, made for rolling passing speeds of surprisingly short times. Tho trounced at lower speed by the 1.8 Elantra, the Caliber would easily dust the Elantra at higher speeds, specially at any Elantra shift points.

·
Registered
539 Posts
I find it funny comparing racing speeds of the 2.0 caliber vs. 1.8 elantra engine. Who cares who wins they are all not speed demons but just commuter cars at best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts