Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hyundai has one of the higher markups of all vehicles - well into the top 10 - according to one article I read, on carsdirect I think. It also depends on market. Here in Phoenix, the Tucson Hybrid is in high demand and virtually all are on buyer deposits before they ever reach the dealers. You can't even find one to look at or test drive. It's supply and demand, and dealers are taking full advantage. I've been looking for a Tucson Hybrid SEL for about a month and put my name on four dealers' wait lists. Most are adding upwards of $4,000 in dealer "addendums" and "market adjustments." I finally got a call from one dealer that the car I wanted was on their incoming allotment. They started with a "non-negotiable" dealer addon package that was $1,000, and then added a $3,300 market adjustment. I offered half the market adjustment and they accepted, so I put in a refundable deposit. I have about 3 weeks to see if any other dealers call and I can negotiate a lower price, but if not, I will take delivery and be happy I got the car I wanted without waiting 3 or more months.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Ford, GM and now Hyundai sending letters to dealers threatening them with consequences for hyperinflating MSRP pricing is just a back door way of informing the dealer network that there are a dozen other ways to extract more of the customers cash then calling it a “market adjustment”. It’s all window dressing for a feel good moment with the consumer. In reality the manufacturers could give two hoots how their dealers treat the customer, just as long they keep moving the product.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I ordered a Hybrid SEL Convenience in middle of January. Today I received an email from the dealer that said "based on the latest updates from the factory, we're facing a very high chip and part shortage within the few next weeks and might take up to a year or longer."

·
Registered
'22 Tucson
44 Posts
Ford, GM and now Hyundai sending letters to dealers threatening them with consequences for hyperinflating MSRP pricing is just a back door way of informing the dealer network that there are a dozen other ways to extract more of the customers cash then calling it a “market adjustment”. It’s all window dressing for a feel good moment with the consumer. In reality the manufacturers could give two hoots how their dealers treat the customer, just as long they keep moving the product.
Thanks, you saved me the typing. I didn't read Hyundai's particular letter, but one other maker's cracked me up that it ends up mimicing an old Monty Python skit. There's carefully crafted wording to sound oh so very stern and chastising like - but in the most vague and pointless manner possible. A perfect variation on "You children behave or you won't get dessert."

My new-car buying experience has been tracking right at a single purchase every 2 decades, so I'm not so savvy in dealers' wily ways. Except that I've learned now in short order that while dealers may be cutthroat in many practices with each other they still apparently work within some sort of mutually abiding 'local association guidelines'. Regarding one dealer's $500 'Documentation Fee' I got, "Our fee is filed with the state, and it would be illegal for us to charge less." Even my mask probably didn't completely hide my giant grin after that one.

All dealers across our metro area are charging $2-5,000 over list, so I ventured out and found the very first option out of town charges nothing excess, no dealer add-ons, and 30% lower fee than my area's rate. Well, we ordered of course, and it's just gone into cue and waiting a VIN, production by end of month, and delivery is latest May-June.

Rational cost, and we get exactly the vehicle we want down to every detail. To enjoy for the next 20 years.

·
Registered
704 Posts
It's funny to me that I just got an email from Hyundai about their "Getaway Sales Event". It seems with cars selling for more than MSRP and dealer inventories so low, why would they even need to have a sales event and offer any sort of deal at all?

·
Registered
‘19 Santa Fe Ultimate 2.0T; ‘22 Tucson Limited 2.5
2,690 Posts
It’s easy to knock the manufacturer. Somebody explain to us just how Hyundai (the maker) benefits from dealer price gouging. I’d love to know.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Businesses are there to make money. Be it the dealer or the car manufacturer. That is capitalism. If the consumers do not like to pay above MSRP, don't buy the cars, for the higher prices. Whose fault is it? If the manufacturers produce crappy cars and people keep buying and keep paying the high prices, why would the practice stop? I would not stop as a car manufacturer or the dealer as long as I keep making profits. If the manufacturers do not like dealers sell higher than MSRP, eliminate "suggested" price. Make it MRRP "manufactures rigid retail price". But, would that fly? LOL. Nobody forces you to pay higher prices if you do not agree.

I am not for paying higher prices and for all the public smoke screen news (are the news for real or just PR ploy?). I am just stating an opinion (or is it a fact?).

Reactions: Turbonut

·
Registered
68 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Businesses are there to make money. Be it the dealer or the car manufacturer. That is capitalism. If the consumers do not like to pay above MSRP, don't buy the cars, for the higher prices. Whose fault is it? If the manufacturers produce crappy cars and people keep buying and keep paying the high prices, why would the practice stop? I would not stop as a car manufacturer or the dealer as long as I keep making profits. If the manufacturers do not like dealers sell higher than MSRP, eliminate "suggested" price. Make it MRRP "manufactures rigid retail price". But, would that fly? LOL. Nobody forces you to pay higher prices if you do not agree.

I am not for paying higher prices and for all the public smoke screen news (are the news for real or just PR ploy?). I am just stating an opinion (or is it a fact?).
I, for one, appose taking advantage of customers during a supply shortage. Sure, dealers can do and come up with a variety of excuses for overcharging for hard to find vehicles ( Tucson Hybrid ). I just say, I’m not falling for it.
Our dealer is only charging MSRP and is giving us better than market price for our trade. Granted, we decided to go with the 2.5 because just finding the right hybrid was somewhere between slim and none ( and, yes, slim left town!🥴🤪).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I, for one, appose taking advantage of customers during a supply shortage. Sure, dealers can do and come up with a variety of excuses for overcharging for hard to find vehicles ( Tucson Hybrid ). I just say, I’m not falling for it.
Our dealer is only charging MSRP and is giving us better than market price for our trade. Granted, we decided to go with the 2.5 because just finding the right hybrid was somewhere between slim and none ( and, yes, slim left town!🥴🤪).
What dealer is that?

·
Registered
2 Posts
B
what dealer is that?

·
Registered
287 Posts
Hyundai has one of the higher markups of all vehicles - well into the top 10 - according to one article I read, on carsdirect I think. It also depends on market. Here in Phoenix, the Tucson Hybrid is in high demand and virtually all are on buyer deposits before they ever reach the dealers. You can't even find one to look at or test drive. It's supply and demand, and dealers are taking full advantage. I've been looking for a Tucson Hybrid SEL for about a month and put my name on four dealers' wait lists. Most are adding upwards of $4,000 in dealer "addendums" and "market adjustments." I finally got a call from one dealer that the car I wanted was on their incoming allotment. They started with a "non-negotiable" dealer addon package that was $1,000, and then added a $3,300 market adjustment. I offered half the market adjustment and they accepted, so I put in a refundable deposit. I have about 3 weeks to see if any other dealers call and I can negotiate a lower price, but if not, I will take delivery and be happy I got the car I wanted without waiting 3 or more months.
I hope you got that refundable deposit in writing. Here in Ct. several dealers told me verbally that the deposit would be refundable, but none would put it on paper or email.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Local dealer in Round Rock, TX is selling all models Hyundai (including the "N" models) at MSRP, no dealer add-ons, and "Documentation Fee" is set at $150 cap. The state sets the maximum doc fee which covers the costs of dealing with getting the title issued, registration, license plates. All other items on the contract are government mandated taxes and fees and do not go to the dealer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Local dealer in Round Rock, TX is selling all models Hyundai (including the "N" models) at MSRP, no dealer add-ons, and "Documentation Fee" is set at $150 cap. The state sets the maximum doc fee which covers the costs of dealing with getting the title issued, registration, license plates. All other items on the contract are government mandated taxes and fees and do not go to the dealer.
My dealership advertises and claims "We never sell any of our vehicles over MSRP" The scam is they add a 900 dollar add on for resistall paint protection which we obviously dont need. When I went to F&I office to finalize the deal on 6/21/2022, I asked the guy to show me the contract for the Resistall and the contract states in bold on the bottom " This contract is voluntary and cannot be used to deny financing the vehicle" I pointed this out to the F&I manager and told him I didnt want it "do I have to take this"? He looks me in the eyes and says "You do"! They know you want the car so they have you by the balls. So long story short 1k over invoice oh well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Out of curiosity I called Phil Long Hyundai in Colorado Springs and inquired about a Tucson Plug-In Hybrid that was not spoken for on their website.... $12,000 Market Adjustment plus a $1,999.95 "Pro-Pack" that includes Phil Long branded all weather floor mats, window tint, and license plate surround.

I've thought about it a lot, what if someone out there NEEDS a car? Their current car is damaged, stolen, totaled, etc. and they need to replace it. If it were me, if something happened to my 2022 Hyundai Tucson Limited Hybrid, I don't know what I would do. Sure, insurance would go to work and do its thing but these market adjustments like $12,000 would likely price me out of that vehicle. I bought a new vehicle for a variety of reasons but market adjustment fees would likely force me to the used market. I don't agree with all of these markups and feel so horribly for anyone who might be in a situation like I stated above. I certainly hope to never be in a situation like that in this type of purchasing environment.

Reactions: TimTSH
1 - 20 of 24 Posts