Hyundai Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you had any of these problems with your 2010 or 2011 Tucson? Has your experience been different? Please chime in.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2011 Tucson GLS with Navigation and I've haven't had any of the problems you've discussed. I have a Moto Droid (the original model)

·
Registered
316 Posts
QUOTE (artimuspryme @ Dec 23 2010, 01:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=382832
BLUETOOTH:
The sales guy, while very helpful in the process, could not link my wife's new Samsung with the BT; our son-in-law, head of IT at Subaru NA, did it in 30 seconds. Works fine, if typical of the bottom of the 55 gal drum sound quality.

NAVIGATION: Ours works about equal to any in dash or, portable Nav unit, which is to say none of them are perfect, all have 'local address/info' inaccuracies, etc. You could not get to our house with any Nav on the mkt. I can still read a map and get anywhere in North America.

XM: Our first experience with in-car XM; it's OK, and the sound quality seems a bit compressed compared to my CDs, but I've read some anecdotal stuff that suggests Sirius/XM have reduced quality in the past year. My beef with the audio is that XM and standard FM are about the same sound pressure level, but CDs, (store bought or home made), play at levels way below the radio level. The CEO likes her XM, so it is not a huge issue for me...

CLIMATE CONTROL: Our '10 Limited HVAC is ok; not bad, not perfect. My '01 BMW X5 is 'better', imo. I've been in many different brands the past few years and I suspect most brands are gilding the lily, and little has changed in auto HVAC the past decade, meaning it hasn't gotten 'better', per se. A good friend of mine is a retired engineer for a big name Japan based car co., and he said they sweated bullets over trying to make that number on the dial match the temp output; they finally gave up and the number(s) dialed in are somewhat arbitrary, fwiw. Hyundai can't be different, imo.

RIDE QUALITY: I too liked the 'tighter' ride on the test drive, vs Santa Fe, et al. It's ok; we've done trips, and we run up and down a steep winding mtn road every day. It is a touch choppy but that's a function of initially 'tighter' suspension coupled with lack of serious suspension travel, imo. My guess is it loosens up in time, hopefully keeping some of the 'firmness'. The electric steering ratio/feel is barely so-so, imo and more of a beef to me than the 'ride'.

ROAD NOISE: No argument here...I hope you had read the posts on this topic before you ordered, and were thinking it would be 'quiet': it is not. Hyundai obviously had to skimp on some stuff to keep that price point, and under hood, fire wall, inner wheel well, etc. sound deadening did not make the bean counters' hurdle. Different tires may help, but I'm not chasing a set to find out; it's the CEO's grocery getter and she likes it.
</span>
Have you had any of these problems with your 2010 or 2011 Tucson? Has your experience been different? Please chime in.

Those are my 50Cts responses, similar to several earlier posts of mine where I gave my opins on the car. They are chasing a price point, and the car is well equipped for the price, imo. Your comments and complaints could be transferred from a BMW or M-B forum, as those brands have similar gripes applied, but at $50Gs and up...

Don't know what other 'under $30G' smallish suv offers better stuff, or more stuff, or more quality stuff...
We cross shopped them all, for months, and the Tuck was the pick of the very mundane litter, imo.
It's a car, a 'reasonably priced' car, and it has been basically problem free and non-irritating for us, in 8 months and ~7,000 miles.
Time will tell, but again, theCEO loves it, so the whole joint is satisfied. Hope you get your concerns fixed or, come to appreciate what it is for the dough.
GL, mD

·
Registered
570 Posts
BLUETOOTH:
I have an ATT Palm Pixi, my wife has ATT Palm Centro. Both pair to the system fine, although it picks hers over mine many times when we are together, even though mine is higher in priority. Have had no "lag" issues, whatsoever with this, or camera, or nav system. This to me sounds like a hard drive issue, but I don't remember if the nav system is hard drive based or not. (?)

As for the sound of voice calls when on the BT system, this is my third car with this (two built-in, one external mic) and all have been less than desirable to say the least, including a 2009 Audi, so I don't feel Hyundai is out of their league here; it just seems to be the way it is.

NAVIGATION:
Again, having had systems before, I can tell you as much as I love my original Tom Tom unit with to-the-date current maps, there are errors all over the place. It's not just the Hyundai nav that has these issues. I can't tell you how many times my Tom Tom has told me to turn left, then do a U-turn whenever possible to head the other direction, when I could have turned right to begin with!!!

XM:
Overall, I am also disappointed with the sound system. For premium audio, I would expect a lot better than this. XM is not as strong as CD, but roughly the same as FM in my case. If you are getting better sound via FM transmitter in the Elantra, do an experiment. Move her aftermarket tuner over to the Tucson and try it in there to compare apples to apples. If it's just as bad, you know the system itself is putting out bad sound, but if it's better, then it's the head unit of your system causing the issue(s).

It really sounds to me like you have a seriously defective head-unit altogether. Your nav/camera/stereo/phone system are all coming from the same place and I would see about having this entire system replaced.

CLIMATE CONTROL:
I really don't care what the number says, as long as it is consistent. I/we always start out about 80 degrees, then dial it down to about 73/74 once we are comfortable. It has been very good so far this winter, and it has been a cold winter here in Michigan.

RIDE QUALITY:
Ride quality was a known issue going in, but we both prefer the MUCH better handling of this car over ALL others available in this segment, so we were willing to sacrifice a little here. Are there some roads where it is really noticeable? Sure. Have there been times where we needed to take evasive action that would not have been possible with our previous models, or competitors? Absolutely. If they could build it to do both, they would, but to get that, you need to pony up several $K more.

ROAD NOISE:
Overall, we are also a bit disappointed with the road noise, but there have been topics on this forum that you might have seen before you purchased. (?) It is much worse on concrete highways than on asphalt. I am still contemplating getting some type of under-treatment to reduce this, but as of yet, it hasn't been that serious of a problem. Also, my last two vehicles were a MB C class, and an Audi, both hatchbacks with completely closed off trunks. I don't expect a Korean-made SUV to be as quiet as either of these. One thing we have done that does help a bit is to ALWAYS have the rear cargo cover in the closed position. This eliminates quite a bit of rear tire noise, as well as echo inside the vehicle.

Whatever happens, I hope that you find a resolution to your issues. I truly believe the nav/stereo head needs to be removed and replaced, but as of yet, no one at Hyundai has called me for my opinion about this (or any other) matter. :( If you have any other Hyundai dealers nearby, go pick out a Tucson like yours and check out the nav/stereo system on your own. Chances are, you will see that you got a lemon and it will be a lot easier for you to argue your point.

Good luck, and keep us posted with your successes!

tim B)

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
I took delvy of my 11 Ltd with navi for 3 weeks. Can't pick any bone. May be I did not expect something like MB or BMW.
I paired 2 phones to blue tooth in 10 minutes.
Homelink 3 buttons in 10 minutes.
Your complaints mostly are associated with the whole navi system which need to be replaced.
I found the Tuc is much quieter than my main ride Honda Prelude, & especially my wife's CRV which needs to crank up the stereo on Highways
No complaint on the ride quality which is soft, but I used to the Prelude stiff suspension.
Only con is the "Premium radio packages with amp & subwoofer" which is at 50% of my scale of 100, as I hold a high standard in audio.
Demand them to replace the whole navi system
GL

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have any idea what type of navigation system the Tucson has? I was told that Hyundai's have LG Electronic Navigation. I don't have a user's guide for mine and I'd like one. I would like to be able to add POIs and need to know what format to download. On another forum, I found an 888 number for Hyundai LG Hotline. I called them as was told that Tucsons don't have LG. I questioned him and asked if he could check my VIN just to be sure, he did and it did not come up. It seems odd to me that all the other Hyundais have LG but not Tucsons. What gives? Any ideas?

·
Registered
570 Posts
QUOTE (Keebs @ Jan 3 2011, 05:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=386254
Does anyone have any idea what type of navigation system the Tucson has? I was told that Hyundai's have LG Electronic Navigation. I don't have a user's guide for mine and I'd like one. I would like to be able to add POIs and need to know what format to download. On another forum, I found an 888 number for Hyundai LG Hotline. I called them as was told that Tucsons don't have LG. I questioned him and asked if he could check my VIN just to be sure, he did and it did not come up. It seems odd to me that all the other Hyundais have LG but not Tucsons. What gives? Any ideas?
I would find that really hard to believe that this is NOT an LG system, when it pretty much looks and acts the same as every other Hyundai nav in the entire vehicle line. That being said, I can find NO mention of ANY manufacturer of our nav system. The only thing I can find is the name of the company that does the maps here in the USA (M&Soft), which has been borderline useless as far as providing any useful feedback or information when I have requested it from them.

I doubt seriously that you will be able to import anything into this system. It seems VERY closed from that aspect.

I have a call into my salesperson, who will let me know tomorrow what he can find out about the manufacturer. I'll post that when I get it.

tim B)

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm still waiting to hear from my dealer about confirming that it is an LG system (he is 99% sure that it is), but just to validate my comment about this "M&Soft" company being borderline useless:

Days ago, I sent them an email, asking why the Tucson does not show on their list of Hyundai vehicles with maps, even though this vehicle has now been out for over a year. This was the response I received from them tonight:

Thank you for contacting the M&Soft Map Center.

Currently the map update is not yet released but we anticipate that the map update will be available soon.

Once the map update is released it will be available at your local Kia Dealer or through our website and call center.

If you require further assistance, please contact the map center at 888-757-0010 (PST 8am to 5pm), or email [email protected].

Thank you and have a great day!

Best Regards,

M&Soft Map Center

I mean, seriously? Did I ask when the map upgrade would be available for my Kia??? Wow! This leads me to believe that Hyundai cheaped out with their selection of a company to support their nav system in the USA. I am not optimistic about the future with this company in charge of our map updates, etc.

tim B)

·
Registered
570 Posts
Although, I did just find a three-year-old article from the NAIAS in Detroit, which stated that Hyundai planned to migrate away from LG and move to Infiniti nav systems, which had XM capabilities built-in. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Now I'm really confused.

·
Registered
1 Posts
QUOTE (Keebs @ Dec 28 2010, 12:19 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=383982
I have a 2011 Tucson GLS with Navigation and I've haven't had any of the problems you've discussed. I have a Moto Droid (the original model)
My 2011 Tuscon had similar BLUETOOTH problems. I went crazy researching this, scouring the web for hints, solutions, etc. In the end I totally solved the problem by getting rid of the NOKIA cell phone and replacing it with a Blackberry Pearl Flip which I am happy to report, works as advertised in all respects with the Hyundai BT. You would think that all BT phones would work with BT as a general rule of thumb but it seems not. With the Nokia it would pair, then drop, then not pair again, then pair when you weren't expecting it to pair, then work for a week, then not. With the BB it pairs, syncs, transfers contacts and has worked without a problem since installation the first time. The Torch also seems to work fine BTW.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
UPDATE:

BLUETOOTH: I "fixed" my issue by disabling audio streaming via Bluetooth in the Nav unit, so it appears that using this feature concurrently with other features may be beyond the limit of its processing power. It's upsetting, though, to have paid for features like this that are not working properly. If they're sales points, they should work when you actually buy the vehicle and attempt to use them, right?

XM: The XM audio quality is still TERRIBLE. I tested the audio quality in a Hyundai Sonata Limited and in two other Tucson Limited models at the dealership, and they all have the same terrible XM audio quality. The sales staff doesn't seem to be aware that it is capable of sounding better than that. The sales manager said that Hyundai will not be replacing my Nav unit since it is performing "per spec." So, it sounds like Hyundai's policy is to put in a cheap XM tuner to cut costs - even in their highest trim level.

I would NOT call this a premium audio system. It sounds more like a standard system, and it is BY NO MEANS ANYWHERE as good as the premium audio in other vehicles, though, and I don't want to hear responses along the lines of "don't compare it to an Acura, BMW, etc." I'm comparing it to Honda, Toyota, Kia and Chevy, and that's who Hyundai wants to be compared to... right?

Having had time to play around with the sound system during many hours of commuting, I offer this summary: FM sounds alright (better than XM), and CD's and AUX sound pretty good. The best sound that I have gotten from this system is using my Sansa Clip through the AUX input. I tried a few different AUX cables and settled on one from Monster Cable ($10 on Amazon and higher quality signal than other cables - meaning I don't have to crank my MP3 player up to the max to hear it well). With my custom EQ settings on my Sansa Clip and with a few tweaks to the Nav unit's audio system the sound is about as good as it's going to get for this system... but still does not meet my expectations for premium audio.

By the way, people, not all satellite radio sounds over-compressed and digitized. I have ordered a Sirius radio and will soon test this by using this tuner with its own antenna in my vehicle through both the FM transmitter and the AUX input. I will post results, and if it really does sound a lot better (which I expect from experience that it will), I will post pictures of the professional install job that I have lined up.

FIT & FINISH: The drawback to having figured out a good sounding audio setup in the vehicle is that I can now crank up my music a bit (not excessively, though), and as a result I have discovered that the door trim panels around the speaker and the tweeter are starting to develop rattles. What? Really? After less than 2,000 miles? Yep... so sad. And also I have a persistent squeak coming from where the two different trim panels come together (horizontal seam) below the seat belt adjustment on the driver's side. ANNOYING!

RIDE QUALITY & NOISE: I have somewhat gotten used to this, but I have found that Yokohama AVID tires (which I had on my previous vehicle) have been found to compensate for ride quality and road noise issues in many cars. Mazda must know this since they use these as their standard tires on some of their vehicles with tighter suspension. I am looking into switching the tires out and will update this space if something occurs on that front. I have also received a call from the Hyundai dealer saying that Hyundai may be willing to replace my tires (though probably not with tires of my choosing). Again... I'll keep you all posted.

·
Registered
570 Posts
QUOTE (artimuspryme @ Jan 18 2011, 01:38 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=391962
UPDATE:

BLUETOOTH: I "fixed" my issue by disabling audio streaming via Bluetooth in the Nav unit, so it appears that using this feature concurrently with other features may be beyond the limit of its processing power. It's upsetting, though, to have paid for features like this that are not working properly. If they're sales points, they should work when you actually buy the vehicle and attempt to use them, right?

I still believe the head-unit is defective. I stream from my phone occasionally and have yet to have a bad experience with it.

UPDATE:

XM: The XM audio quality is still TERRIBLE. I tested the audio quality in a Hyundai Sonata Limited and in two other Tucson Limited models at the dealership, and they all have the same terrible XM audio quality. The sales staff doesn't seem to be aware that it is capable of sounding better than that. The sales manager said that Hyundai will not be replacing my Nav unit since it is performing "per spec." So, it sounds like Hyundai's policy is to put in a cheap XM tuner to cut costs - even in their highest trim level.

Were you ever able to put your portable XM into the Tucson to see how that sounded, either via FM or the AUX? I was just curious. I totally agree about the "premium" comment. It's not up to the level of my previous Audi, but it's also not up to the level of my 2006 Kia Sportage, either!

UPDATE:
FIT & FINISH: The drawback to having figured out a good sounding audio setup in the vehicle is that I can now crank up my music a bit (not excessively, though), and as a result I have discovered that the door trim panels around the speaker and the tweeter are starting to develop rattles. What? Really? After less than 2,000 miles? Yep... so sad. And also I have a persistent squeak coming from where the two different trim panels come together (horizontal seam) below the seat belt adjustment on the driver's side. ANNOYING!

RIDE QUALITY & NOISE: I have somewhat gotten used to this, but I have found that Yokohama AVID tires (which I had on my previous vehicle) have been found to compensate for ride quality and road noise issues in many cars. Mazda must know this since they use these as their standard tires on some of their vehicles with tighter suspension. I am looking into switching the tires out and will update this space if something occurs on that front. I have also received a call from the Hyundai dealer saying that Hyundai may be willing to replace my tires (though probably not with tires of my choosing). Again... I'll keep you all posted.

That's one thing I'm worried about, also. This car, with the extra-stiff suspension, is going to develop more rattles and squeaks than a "soft" car will. I'm already noticing one where the dash meets the A-pillar on the passenger side. Drives me nuts!

tim B)

·
Registered
18 Posts
BLUETOOTH:
The issue, though, was that the entire Navigation unit lagged as soon as I paired my phone. It said it was importing contacts, and I do have a lot of those, so I took the salesman's word that the system would perform better after the vehicle had synced up with my phone book. But that was just the beginning.

The Bluetooth has also been disconnecting from my phone and ending calls erratically. By the way, the official response from Hyundai is that my phone is not on their list of compatible devices. In fact, if you look at their list, there isn't a single HTC device listed under Verizon on their compatibility list. Hyundai is clearly late to the game and playing catch-up very slowly... so slowly that even loyal customers like me are considering getting rid of a car that's less than a month old.

I have an iPhone 4, and despite the fact that the Tucson touts iPod/iPhone integration, the iPhone 4 is still not on their list of officially supported devices either.

The Bluetooth integration is somewhat of a joke. It is not documented anywhere, but the maximum contacts it supports is 1000. I culled 300+ contacts to keep on the iPhone, but it still loads the list very slowly. It apparently does not cache the contacts in the system, so it has to reload the whole list each time you get in the car.

There's no way to store even a few numbers in the car's system itself, a major over sight in my opinion.

And the kicker for me is that for many contacts with several numbers, the system doesn't reliably download all of the numbers for some contacts. So for example if I have a contact with home, cell, work, other, I may get only home and other, but not cell. This makes it rather worthless.

I'm pretty disappointed by this and wish I had tried pairing my phone with a floor model first to see what happened. Not sure I would have not bought the car because of it, but it would have made me think several times over about it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
UPDATE

XM: The salesman who sold us our Tucson says that he has a friend who services Hyundai audio systems for a different dealer in our area and that he is trying to coordinate for him to spend some time changing out the antenna on our Tucson to one that's newer and better to see if that helps. I don't think it will. I think it's the tuner in the head unit since that is where the signal processing takes place. The antenna just relays the signal. In the meanwhile, I've ordered a ProClip and a Sirius tuner to install in case the dealer isn't able to fix the issue. I'm assuming they won't be able to fix it since I test drove a new Sonata Turbo the other day and it had the same crappy XM quality.

Question: Does anyone know if XM sounds worse during a trial period (free subscription from dealer) than it does once you start paying for it? I wonder this because if everyone's XM sounds terrible, why does the company have so many subscribers?! We also drove an Acura TSX last weekend, and its XM didn't sound much better even though every other form of audio sounded awesome in that car.

KIA vs HYUNDAI: We test drove a Kia Optima EX last weekend as well. The SIRIUS sounded great! In fact, Sirius sounded better than XM in all of the cars we test drove last weekend (8 total!). I wish I would have thought of that before we bought our Tucson. We probably would have bought a Sportage instead.

BLUETOOH & NAV: I discovered that the way to save contact phone numbers without having a cell phone connected is to save the contact as a Destination under the navigation system. No issues (other than background noise) with the Bluetooth since I disabled audio streaming.

FIT & FINISH: This is rapidly becoming my biggest peeve with the Tucson. There is now a plastic-on-plastic "squeak" coming from the area of the driver's door where the speakers are located. Coupled with the same kind of "squeak" on the B-pillar where the two different colors of trim meet, I am seeing a pattern that I really don't like. Our Tucson only has 2200 miles on it, and already it's developing rattles and squeaks!?!

NEXT STEPS are to try to hear back from the dealer about tire replacement (they're waiting for Hyundai's authorization) and to see if the dealer's proposed XM antenna fix will yield anything other than the same digitized, low quality, crappy audio quality. I'm not convinced that either of these "fixes" will do anything to solve the issues I'm having with the Tucson. Once I'm sure that the low, poor, bad XM quality can't be fixed, I will install the Sirius tuner I bought.

I did get a survey from Hyundai Engineers which I filled out in detail regarding all of these issues. They say that they highly value the feedback of customers. We'll see.

·
Registered
39 Posts
No, the xm isn't crippled in any way during the trial. The quality used to be great but they kept adding channels and cutting the bandwidth, its crap now, thankfully I only use it to listen to talk stations. But the entire stereo in the Tucson is really weak, its a shame. I'm going to swap out the speakers at some point and pray that helps, I'm used to having relatively decent stereos in my car, this one is painful. My only real complaint with the vehicle.

·
Registered
570 Posts
QUOTE (Hutty @ Jan 28 2011, 01:50 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=395650
...but the entire stereo in the Tucson is really weak, its a shame.
I have to agree, here. I am very disappointed by the level of my "premium" stereo. To make it worse, I rode in the backseat a couple of weeks ago, which I never do, and the stereo was almost invisible back there. I had my son adjust the fade on the touchscreen, and it wasn't until he had it 90% back/10% front that I could actually hear any music coming out of my back doors! It was pathetic. The stereo in my 2006 Kia Sportage (same car, different gen) was MUCH stronger than this one.

I haven't had the "horrible" quality of XM that others seem to have. I used a Sirius with FM transmitter for years, so maybe I am used to having not-so-great sound from that setup!

tim B)

·
Registered
21 Posts
premuim 1.7. Have none of these problems. Samsung wave paired straight away including contacts. My creative mp3 works a treat on the usb, including browsing and selection. The radio quality is excellent, but we may have a different one to you. Ride is excellent, and engine is quite (not bad for a diesal)

·
Registered
590 Posts
I've read through it twice............I have a 2011 Hyundai Tucson GLS with Navigation.

I can say I have absolutely none of the issues listed above..........none.

BLUETOOTH:
Mine connects right up no problems........one thing worth mention..........
The Tucson starts to boot up the Navigation and synch your phone when you click the key fob to unlock the doors........the idea is to have it ready to go when you get in the car and start it.
If you unlock the doors when your a long ways off it might not catch the Bluetooth signal from your phone and might not synch.
I unlock the door with the fob when I'm right at the drivers door and I've never had an issue.

NAVIGATION:
Zero issues here...........I love the built-in navigation and I've had no problems finding destinations or routing.
The integral backup camera is sweet.

XM:
It sounds great to me..........although I don't plan on purchasing XM once my 3-month freebie is over since I have a ton of MP3's.
IMHO, the USB port is the way to go..........I have 5500 MP3's on a 32GB flash drive. I'm good to go for a long time.......works flawlessly.

CLIMATE CONTROL:
I don't have the Limited so I can't comment on the automatic climate control.
The manual system on the GLS works flawlessly..............simple to use and sure heats up quick in our cold Minnesota winters.

RIDE QUALITY:
The ride is a tad "stiff" but very comfortable............handles corners and quick maneuvers very well. It handles bumps and road irregularities quit well IMHO.
No squeaks, rattles, or noises makes for a nice quiet ride.

ROAD NOISE:

I just don't understand the negative comments here...........my Tucson is very quiet. No noise from the tires noted at all.
In fact, I thought this vehicle was quieter than our 2010 Venza that costs $10K more.

I absolutely couldn't be happier with our 2011 Tucson GLS..........fun to drive, economical, great warranty, awesome styling and the price was right. :amen:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts