Hyundai Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New and first-time Hyundai owner still acclimating to the Hyundai world. How are their torque specs supposed to be interpreted? For example, the oil drain plug spec is 25-32 ft-lb. Why do they give a range? Should I just set my torque wrench to the middle of that window, at 28 or 29?

I am used to working on Hondas, VWs and BMWs. They specify torque requirements as a single value or sometimes a nominal value with a +/- tolerance. Seeing it expressed as a range with no target is new to me.

·
Registered
7,163 Posts
First, when you see pounds, realize that these have been converted from metric units (the original spec usually in is in kgf.m). So when you see odd numbers like 25.3 ~ 32.5lb-ft, they're being 'translated' from 3.5 ~ 4.5kgf.m. The latter is no different from 4 ± ½kgf.m.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, when you see pounds, realize that these have been converted from metric units (the original spec usually in is in kgf.m). So when you see odd numbers like 25.3 ~ 32.5lb-ft, they're being 'translated' from 3.5 ~ 4.5kgf.m. The latter is no different from 4 ± ½kgf.m.
Makes sense, but kgf.m? Great, a 3rd torque unit! My torque wrench doesn't have that. I thought the metric standard was N.m :confused: Is it different in South Korea?

·
Registered
2,550 Posts
There's no international SI basic unit for torque - so any derived unit using SI components is valid.

Nm is generally used for large torque values, like engine output, while kgf.m is used for lower torque, like bolts.

10 Nm is roughly 1 kgf.m, why it's not exactly 10x I've no idea!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Don't lose sleep over it. As the other fellow said look at it as the middle of the range plus or minus. Most torque wrenches are plus or minus 4%. The only place I go to the high end is the 65 to 80 foot pounds on the lug nuts. Compared to most cars 65 seems pretty loose and my tire shop guy agrees. A lot of places that have torque specs listed are not that critical. As we used to say when I worked in a garage " Tighten until the bolt snaps and back off a half a turn".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts