Hyundai Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Sorry, I can't agree. I cannot find any reputable references to support your position. Show me data. And use the 2011 thru 2016 model years as a comparison (the 1.8l engine)

Unbiased major car sites consider the Elantra as a very reliable vehicle, on par with the Civic in reliability.

Really......My dealers had 8 bad motors in when mine was done. I called another dealer and they had a bunch too, but would not say how many. The sb11 guy here (I think) said their sister dealership of another brand is doing Hyundai motors because they have too many to get done.

I have a relative who is a mechanic at a large Lexus dealership in Minneapolis and they get ONE new motor warranty every 3 months or more. And a Honda Fit motor is so reliable of a motor it is approved to be used in aircraft by the FAA.

I don't need to even lift a finger to find more evidence to bolster my opinion. You don't have to like my opinion, but from my research on all my other forums Honda and Toyota I see 1to 3 bad motor posts a year. You come here ......well enough said, dropping like flys. You keep reading your J.D. Powers website info if it makes you feel better.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hyundai lied and said we had sludge in the engine after seeing an aftermarket oil filter on it. The BBB arbitrator believed our story and had an independent inspection done. Inspection showed no sludge
In the USA you have a legal right to have an aftermarket oil filter on, and they can not denie a warranty claim because of it. Thank God we have the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act.

My new motor had a new Fram Ultra on it after 500 miles. I only kept the OEM crap on there that long so if the new motor tanked on the side of the road I would have less hassle dealing with it with a direct tow to the dealer. After 400-500 mile first dump, it got a Fram Ultra. I use Fram Ultras because they are the ONLY Fram I trust and Fram specifically designed the replacement filter to better the OEM in filtering capacity and flow so in court I will have their testing data and backing IF it ever got that far. Plus I have access/know who call who are oil engineers to bring any "oil sludge " questions into the case to FULLY quench any BS Hyundai wants to bring up as far as oil. I also do a oil analysis on every oil change now to back me up.

Sounds like you brought in the troops to fight their really lame attempt to denied your claim from THEIR badly designed engine.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry, I can't agree. I cannot find any reputable references to support your position. Show me data. And use the 2011 thru 2016 model years as a comparison (the 1.8l engine)

Unbiased major car sites consider the Elantra as a very reliable vehicle, on par with the Civic in reliability.

Really......My dealers had 8 bad motors in when mine was done. I called another dealer and they had a bunch too, but would not say how many. The sb11 guy here (I think) said their sister dealership of another brand is doing Hyundai motors because they have too many to get done.

I have a relative who is a mechanic at a large Lexus dealership in Minneapolis and they get ONE new motor warranty every 3 months or more. And a Honda Fit motor is so reliable of a motor it is approved to be used in aircraft by the FAA.

I don't need to even lift a finger to find more evidence to bolster my opinion. You don't have to like my opinion, but from my research on all my other forums Honda and Toyota I see 1to 3 bad motor posts a year. You come here ......well enough said, dropping like flys. You keep reading your J.D. Powers website info if it makes you feel better.
As I already said, my dealer told me they have 200 cars waiting... I met 2 other owners, different dealers, 100's waiting. I meet at least one owner every week in public places (the noise of the engine is enough loud and easy to recognize...), waiting for replacement...

As per a consumer protection magazine I am subscriber, who publishes every year a study for new and old cars, Elantra 2011 to 2015 gets one star out of five and is considered a 'lemon' car... they talk about the engine problem in each edition for the last 3 years... and they talk about the fact that the engines are on back order...

As somebody else here said, Hyundai's policy is to cover up...

By the way, my car is in the shop for a week now, somebody here said that Hyundai pays 10 hrs for the job... My dealer told me 2 days, 6 days passed and car still not ready... I keep calling them and they do not return my calls... My only solution is to go in person to see them to get an answer... as they keep taking my messages, telling me they will call me back and still waiting and waiting and wasting my time calling.... Such a wonderful service by Hyundai dealer!!!!! Actually they had 4 technical advisors at my dealer, all of them resigned, they only have two now, no experience and overwhelmed... clearly.. Tried over year 4 dealers, all the same.... Bad service all of them, and with the engine problem now, believe me NO MORE HYUNDAI!!!!

·
Registered
387 Posts
As I already said, my dealer told me they have 200 cars waiting... I met 2 other owners, different dealers, 100's waiting. I meet at least one owner every week in public places (the noise of the engine is enough loud and easy to recognize...), waiting for replacement...

As per a consumer protection magazine I am subscriber, who publishes every year a study for new and old cars, Elantra 2011 to 2015 gets one star out of five and is considered a 'lemon' car... they talk about the engine problem in each edition for the last 3 years... and they talk about the fact that the engines are on back order...

As somebody else here said, Hyundai's policy is to cover up...

By the way, my car is in the shop for a week now, somebody here said that Hyundai pays 10 hrs for the job... My dealer told me 2 days, 6 days passed and car still not ready... I keep calling them and they do not return my calls... My only solution is to go in person to see them to get an answer... as they keep taking my messages, telling me they will call me back and still waiting and waiting and wasting my time calling.... Such a wonderful service by Hyundai dealer!!!!! Actually they had 4 technical advisors at my dealer, all of them resigned, they only have two now, no experience and overwhelmed... clearly.. Tried over year 4 dealers, all the same.... Bad service all of them, and with the engine problem now, believe me NO MORE HYUNDAI!!!!

Yep, Hyundai have a very bad engine design problem that they refuse to fix. They are overwhelmed with new engine rebuilds and something tells me they have not fixed the key design problems. They keep playing Wack-A-Mole and will year after year until they get someone in charge that will change their whole philosophy of engine design.

·
Registered
13,351 Posts
They did all use Lucas electrics, and auto folks familiar with British Leyland understand where the term "Lucas, Prince of Darkness" came from, lol.

As Red Green so eloquently stated, "Keep your stick on the ice". (see? even a Texan can try to relate to our northern counterparts)

Indeed...

Reactions: FuelSolGood

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just brought my car in tonight after putting 5,000 on the new motor for the brake switch, rear trailing arm alignment check to see if we can warranty it. Also for the new motor is a SLUG, It is missing 20 hp from my original motor. I am expecting nothing from them, They will say all is normal. I will at least get the alignment specs and work from there.

Also they have 44 car in the back needing motors, When they did my motor, there were 8 cars waiting for a motor.

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Just brought my car in tonight after putting 5,000 on the new motor for the brake switch,
Recall been running 5yr now, why so late ??

rear trailing arm alignment check to see if we can warranty it.
TP3 rear arm replace and align rear only,, add front while set up at minimal cost to make all straight and square..

Recall some 5yr old if not done yet... late ?

Also for the new motor is a SLUG, It is missing 20 hp from my original motor.

Before and after chassis dyno testing ?? Nothing should have changed,, program / fuel mapping determines final power output.... did dipsticks forget the follower that operate the GDI pump ?

I am expecting nothing from them, They will say all is normal. I will at least get the alignment specs and work from there.

Also they have 44 car in the back needing motors, When they did my motor, there were 8 cars waiting for a motor.

Keep in touch

·
Registered
387 Posts
Just brought my car in tonight after putting 5,000 on the new motor for the brake switch,
Recall been running 5yr now, why so late ??

rear trailing arm alignment check to see if we can warranty it.
TP3 rear arm replace and align rear only,, add front while set up at minimal cost to make all straight and square..

Recall some 5yr old if not done yet... late ?

Also for the new motor is a SLUG, It is missing 20 hp from my original motor.

Before and after chassis dyno testing ?? Nothing should have changed,, program / fuel mapping determines final power output.... did dipsticks forget the follower that operate the GDI pump ?

I am expecting nothing from them, They will say all is normal. I will at least get the alignment specs and work from there.

Keep in touch

The car is a 2013 1.8. 20,000 miles/14,000 when it received a new motor. No GDI pump.

This was the first time in the shop since my wife bought it. They did not have the parts when they did the motor or forgot to do it. I just received a second letter last month saying my car has not had said recall. They did do the ECU flash when they replaced the motor.

As far as HP, no need for a dyno, it is so (painfully) obvious the car is slower. Old engine, put the pedal to the floor on any surface and I could sequel the tires with the exception of brushed new concrete (like on bridges). In second gear a very aggressive pull once you hit 4,000 rpms for a 1.8. I had many spots on the back roads coming home from work were there are short runs where the quickness of acceleration would have you pull up off the pedal because of you are at a top speed for that piece of road per this cars setup. NOW nothing but a slug, I can't even get up to speed to even feel I have to pull off the gas. Not even close. The old motor had a powerband when coming onto the cam with a rush of acceleration, the new motor, monotone boring nothingism and you could not even feel there is a so called powerband when coming onto the peek cam point. It feels like there is no timing advance. Just like I said, 20 hp less, or a low compression 1.6 liter feeling. No torque in a cubic inch sort of feeling or no advancement of ignition timing. DULL, boring, uninspiring, did I say I HATE my car yet.

In my younger years I use to race cars and also had a hobby Audi repair business. I have built about 10 -15 race and street motors in my day and some really freaky ones with fly cut cranks ect. Something is not right here. I do think my original motor was built where everything was mated and matched perfectly, The old motor was a good motor. With the radio off and no heater fan on you almost could not tell it was running, no vibration into the car and no noise. Both my wife and I have started it will it was running on a few occasions. The new motor is very easily felt and heard through the car now. You will not accidentally hit the starter now. They check everything they said and it is up to specs and running where it should. The original motor was a Korean and the new one is a USA block and head. That SHOULD not matter I would think .....but I HATE my car NOW. I was fine with the performance before,

As far as the rear end one side 2.0 neg camber the other 1.5 neg and some healthy toe out on both wheels. Like you said in your other posts there is so wide of "oked" spec it is ridiculous. The camber along with the toe out completely explains the scary squirreliness on icey road here in Minnesota and the weird "side push axle tramp"when the weird dampening speced shocks come into play. While better then stock shocks, my rear KYB Gas-A-Adjust follow OEM speced valving and stiffened a percentage over stock still have the damping personality of the OEM. I have an added rear bar too that helped a bit too. I have owned VW's, Audi's, Subarus, with the rear trailing arm suspension and NONE where even close to this cars flawed design. None were this far out either. Hyundai did not have a good "jig" when welding these up, AND/or they did not have welders follow the right sequence of laying down the welds and that reduces deflection of the final piece, or deflect it in the direction they wanted it to go to on the final cool down. ( I have TIG welded for 30 years).

SO I have an option of pressing Hyundai for a new rear trailing arm, but question if they will just deliver the same crap on the second one and with all the motors they are so hard preassed they will not budge on this one. Then I still have the SLUG motor I hate. When I picked it up I spent some time test driving a new Kona 1.6 TAWD and love that mini SUV. Took it into a bad washboard busted up corner and it stuck very well with a nice refined rear suspension personality. NICE!!! Independent suspension will do that for you. They did not have a Elantra GT Sport to drive, so I will have to go to another dealer to try that car. I drove a regular 2018 Elantra GT and that crap rear end showed it's hand, but it was far better then my car did on the same corner.

I like Hyundai's as a whole but don't trust their motors, but as far as I can tell the 1.6 Turbo does not have any glaring design issues other then what a tech said was a turbo seal issue and I don't know if all Hyundai turbo's ARE NOT water cooled. SO long cool downs and group 4 and group 5 oils would be in order if they are not water cooled. So can you give me any advice on the durability of the 1.6 turbo, and are they water cooled? Also are the dual clutch trans robust? I like it for the first time driving with one. I looked at it like a manual and the little bobbling it does here and there was no issue for me. I love the fast shifting.

·
Registered
905 Posts
In the USA you have a legal right to have an aftermarket oil filter on, and they can not denie a warranty claim because of it. Thank God we have the Magnusen-Moss Warranty Act...........

Actually, yes, they can. If it is determined that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure of a warrantied item.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Actually, yes, they can. If it is determined that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure of a warrantied item.
The law is written that they have to prove it legally and it is not up to the user to prove that the part did not do the damage. Foras an example if you use engine oil as ATF they would push it, but running Amsoil or Redline they have no case when the oil is far superior then their price point profit group 3 ATF.

·
Registered
905 Posts
The law is written that they have to prove it legally and it is not up to the user to prove that the part did not do the damage. Foras an example if you use engine oil as ATF they would push it, but running Amsoil or Redline they have no case when the oil is far superior then their price point profit group 3 ATF.
Correct, as I stated. However your post was “ and they can not denie a warranty claim because of it.” which is untrue or misleading.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm curious to hear more about your story. My 2018 has just a little under 30000, Hyundai dealership says it needs an engine replacement due to sludge in the engine

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
I'm curious to hear more about your story. My 2018 has just a little under 30000, Hyundai dealership says it needs an engine replacement due to sludge in the engine
The person you're asking the question hasn't been here in a yr and a half...are they replacing your motor for no cost?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thankfully, the small block engine IS covered under warranty, and they are paying for a rental car for me. Since then they told me that the small block wouldn't arrive until early to mid May. NOW they say it might be early to mid JULY. Good lord
Interesting, the dealership had my car for 3 weeks. They got the parts in on Thursday and got the car back the next day. The only thing is what is the warranty on this engine. They said it was a rebuilt engine. Does anyone have more information on this?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
We just bought a 2014 Elantra with 100k miles and after driving on the freeway for 40 min and everything was great until I was driving at slower speeds around 25 mph and the oil light started blinking and then it stalled. The dealer said it was the oil pump and so they replaced it ($1700) and now are telling me it did not fix the issue and that I need a new engine. Not sure I trust the dealer at this point and I'm not sure what to do about the issue.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts